Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MSI R5770 No Gaming - Just Blu Ray ON LCD TV ??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 1, 2012 8:26:25 PM

I am building the system listed below intended for no gaming (for general use) with the exception of a low demand flight simulator and playing Blu Ray from my PC Blu Ray player to my Samsung 50" LCD TV.
Samsung LCD TV is HDCP compliant and has 4 HDMI ports.
I have read perhaps 50 articles relating to the subject and find many different answers.

I would like to buy the MSI R5770 (HD 5770) - for my simulator and Blu Ray playback on the LCD TV.
http://us.msi.com/product/vga/R5770-Hawk.html .

I find though a very interesting statement from another forum ( The Guru of 3d, http://www.guru3d.com) that seems to say that no matter what video card I use - the picture on my LCD TV will not be great without use of software called Media Player Classic.
The site says -
"If you watch a movie on a regular monitor, Purevideo playback is brilliant. But if you display the movie on a larger HD TV, you'll quickly wish you could enable little extra's like sharpening. I remember GeForce series 7 having this native supported from within the Forceware drivers. After GeForce series 8 was released, that feature was stripped away, and to date it has to be the most missed HTPC feature ever."

http://www.guru3d.com/article/accelerate-x264-1080p-mov...

The software is referenced here-

http://www.guru3d.com/article/accelerate-x264-1080p-mov...

So, I wonder can this article from The Guru of 3d be true and also do I need a super massively powerful card that will kill my $129 budget for video card to play Blu Ray on my TV from my PC.
My intention is to play Blu Ray without any stutter or dropped frames or any problems or distortion in image quality.

System specs-
AMD FX-4100
ASUS M5A97 970 AM3+
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 8:35:20 PM

any radeon card from the 5450 and up will handle blu-rays perfectly. as for media player classic. just do what i do download CCCP from here http://www.cccp-project.net/ (click the yellow button) and it comes with media player classic and codecs for probabily every video file you will want to play.

your second link there will tell you how to setup hardware acceleration though i find on some computers its better to use vmr9 (renderless) on windows 7. but you can play with the settings until you find one you like. just remember to restart the player after applying each setting or it wont take effect.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 8:37:49 PM

im curious as to which flight sim you are taliking about. i play microsoft flight every now and then. and it can tax my i7 950 and radeon 7970, with max settings. so if your playing a newer one like MS flight sim x or Microsoft flight you might want to stick with the 5770 and ignore my suggestion of a 5450
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 1, 2012 8:38:56 PM

farrengottu said:
any radeon card from the 5450 and up will handle blu-rays perfectly. as for media player classic. just do what i do download CCCP from here http://www.cccp-project.net/ (click the yellow button) and it comes with media player classic and codecs for probabily every video file you will want to play.

your second link there will tell you how to setup hardware acceleration though i find on some computers its better to use vmr9 (renderless) on windows 7. but you can play with the settings until you find one you like. just remember to restart the player after applying each setting or it wont take effect.

Thanks for your reply.
I get from your reply that the software player is necessary.
Is this because of the various file formats , CODECS or compression schemes that the graphic cards don't process correctly or is it because of some other reason.
Does this actually increase sharpness or is sharpness not actually decreased when playing Blu Ray on LCD TV?
The folks at The Guru of 3d seem to say that most people would be very disappointed with the display without software processing.
Thanks
m
l
April 1, 2012 8:40:39 PM

farrengottu said:
im curious as to which flight sim you are taliking about. i play microsoft flight every now and then. and it can tax my i7 950 and radeon 7970, with max settings. so if your playing a newer one like MS flight sim x or Microsoft flight you might want to stick with the 5770 and ignore my suggestion of a 5450

Nothing that sophisticated - - Phoenix Flight Simulator 3 -for helicopter sims - -requires 1 GHz. cpu and I think 256 MB ram - very little processing power needed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 9:43:37 PM

I would recommend the 6450 it give you 3D playback support and twice as many stream processors and costs about the same. I replaced my 5450 with a 6450 to get rid of the slight fan noise and I can actually play some games with better than xbox looking graphics others... not so much
m
l
April 1, 2012 10:22:34 PM

spentshells said:
I would recommend the 6450 it give you 3D playback support and twice as many stream processors and costs about the same. I replaced my 5450 with a 6450 to get rid of the slight fan noise and I can actually play some games with better than xbox looking graphics others... not so much

Did you say HD 6450 - that has 160 Stream Processors. The R5770 (HD5770) has 800.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 11:13:34 PM

I don't remember the 5xxx series Radeons having Blu-Ray support. I thought that was one of the only differences between the 6770 and 5770, but I may be wrong.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 11:20:15 PM

ckbeck said:
Did you say HD 6450 - that has 160 Stream Processors. The R5770 (HD5770) has 800.

Sorry I was not referring to the 5770 I was referring to the 5450

5770 for media playback is a bit much.
m
l
April 1, 2012 11:38:00 PM

You can get a 7750 with your budget and it's new tech.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2012 11:44:35 PM

it is also 90 dollars more
m
l
April 1, 2012 11:45:52 PM

Deemo13 said:
I don't remember the 5xxx series Radeons having Blu-Ray support. I thought that was one of the only differences between the 6770 and 5770, but I may be wrong.

That is something I had not heard. Specs say Blu Ray on the R5770 card at MSI site. I hope it is correct and without issue.
m
l
April 2, 2012 12:03:45 AM

spentshells said:
Sorry I was not referring to the 5770 I was referring to the 5450

5770 for media playback is a bit much.

Thanks for your reply.
So , the 5770 is a bit overkill for Blu Ray playback.
Looking around at newegg - - the 5450 is a lot cheaper than the R5770
but has about 1/10 of the processors.
From what you're saying the 5770 is simply overkill.

One concern I have is offloading the decoding from the CPU to the GPU.
I guess from what you say, the 5450 would process the data stream adequately so the processor is not
really in the equation.
I am guessing that the software for playback has a lot to do with loading up the GPU instead of the CPU.?
The FX-4100 is not the most robust processor around.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2012 12:33:10 AM

The HD6000series would be better for media playback as they have a newer HDMI spec and UVD3 (Decodes more Video formats) instead of UVD2 if you can the HD7000 also has some further improvements to UVD (Decodes more formats of video on the GPU) and HDMI (4K) and would give the best experience. But again it is more expensive, but with Video decoding a newer generation GPU is better than a older one more often than not due to support for newer video technologies.

BTW the original Media player classic is no longer being developed but the Media Player Classic Home Cinema a branch off of it is.
Media Player Classic Home Cinema -> http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2012 1:15:27 AM

Sorry OP I recommend the 6450 because it is newer and has more features and processing power but for the same price.
m
l
April 2, 2012 1:29:15 AM

caqde said:
The HD6000series would be better for media playback as they have a newer HDMI spec and UVD3 (Decodes more Video formats) instead of UVD2 if you can the HD7000 also has some further improvements to UVD (Decodes more formats of video on the GPU) and HDMI (4K) and would give the best experience. But again it is more expensive, but with Video decoding a newer generation GPU is better than a older one more often than not due to support for newer video technologies.

BTW the original Media player classic is no longer being developed but the Media Player Classic Home Cinema a branch off of it is.

Thank you -
Good information! So then any of the currently available HD6000 or HD7000 cards would be a better choice
do to incorporating later revisions .
Perhaps I could budget a HD 7000 series card, but they do quite pricey.
I see the HD5770 is UVD2.2 and then I would need to go to 6400-6600 and 6800-6900 to get to UVD3.0

Also , thanks for the update on media player classic.
m
l
April 2, 2012 2:18:28 AM

spentshells said:
Sorry OP I recommend the 6450 because it is newer and has more features and processing power but for the same price.

Thank you.. Yes I see that now. It is UVD3 compliant.
m
l
April 2, 2012 8:27:00 PM

caqde said:

I was looking at Media Player Classic Home Cinema and I noticed that it did not mention Blu Ray , just -
"VCD, SVCD and DVD playback".
Is there a player that does what Media Player Classic Home Cinema will do that supports Blu Ray?
m
l
April 21, 2012 1:16:37 AM

Best answer selected by ckbeck.
m
l
!