Solution
Only a small amount of any purchase factors in future possibilities and its pretty clear when something's value goes to 0 for a given application. Obviously, in that instance the one with a non-zero effectiveness for a given application is going to have the highest overall value in that instance.

The more difficult task is to set the lowest as the baseline (in this case HAF 912 for like $60) and justify spending the other $70 based on what he can potentially get for that without having a niche system (which the OP probably doesn't have).

Which added features are worth paying 2x+ to the total cost to get them?

That is how real cost/benefit (ie value) calculations are done.

Based on how good the HAF 912 is, I have a hard time seeing...

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Depends on your need and what you define as constituting "value"

While I think the XM is priced a little on the high side I would take it over the 912 if budget allowed. It's better featured thats a fact, then in my personal opinion the 912 looks ugly where as the XM looks good.

To be honest though despite being a HAF fan (I own a HAF X) I dont think the XM or 912 are particularly great value mid towers. 912 is dated, XM is a bit pricey.

CM_USA

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Each haf case is specific in certain features and compatibility with certain hardware (ex. water cooling radiators) so the value is there in each haf case, however depending on what you want it for is where the value kicks on based on the money you spend.

Which is better haf 912 or the haf xm value wise.

It really comes down to what you want and need from a case and if you are looking to upgrade.

First question, are you planning to use water cooling?
If:
Yes - get the Haf XM

No - get the Haf 912

Are you planning to upgrade motherboards to an extended atx motherboard? (12x13)

Yes - get the Haf XM

No - get the Haf 912

Only a small amount of any purchase factors in future possibilities and its pretty clear when something's value goes to 0 for a given application. Obviously, in that instance the one with a non-zero effectiveness for a given application is going to have the highest overall value in that instance.

The more difficult task is to set the lowest as the baseline (in this case HAF 912 for like $60) and justify spending the other $70 based on what he can potentially get for that without having a niche system (which the OP probably doesn't have).

Which added features are worth paying 2x+ to the total cost to get them?

That is how real cost/benefit (ie value) calculations are done.

Based on how good the HAF 912 is, I have a hard time seeing the HAF XM providing equal bangs/buck when scaled up to that many more bucks.

Solution

wildbeast99t

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Alright thanks guys! I think I MIGHT get a haf 912. I dont water cool, and I am using a atx board. If you have any suggestions Ill consider them.

btw: raiddin you changed my point of view and I can see why the haf xm is a worse deal.

wildbeast99t

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Thanks to you too!

CM_USA

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

It depends on what you want from a case and if you are planning to upgrade in the future. Obviously if you don't plan on using all the features the case or don't plan on getting an extended atx motherboard in the future, the bang, so to speak, goes down, and in the OP's case, most likely the 912 would be the best choice.

Upgradability is definitely a factor because what if the OP decides to get an eatx motherboard in the future, he would either sell the 912 at low price or completely lose that value, have to purchase yet another case to fit that eatx motherboard, so that 70 dollar he could have spent vs over 100 bucks for a decent eatx case.

That is the reason why we offer different Haf cases to tailor to what the customer needs at the lowest price point so, like you said, can spend on other hardware they want.

You can account for the eatx stuff (and everything else, but the below will just focus on the eatx portion).

Less than 1% of people have eatx boards. I will just call it 1%, though.

On ebay, the lowest buy it now price I see inclusive of shipping is $60.

Per this site: http://www.progressivepress.com/estimate-shipping the cost to ship something 18 pounds is about $16.

The HAF XM is about $130.

Sell price - ship price - new case price = -86

That is in USD, so if he did have to get the new case he would lose about $86 out of his own pocket in the deal.

Multiply that by the estimated likelihood of him ever needing to do the deal.

$86 x 0.01 = 0.86

Thus the possibility of him ever getting an eatx board accounts for about 86 cents out of the additional $70.

That would mean you would only have to justify $69.14 with the other additional features above and beyond what the HAF 912 has.

CM_USA

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
The eatx feature was used as an example, you can replace that with compatibility with using a radiator, space for more hard drives, more 5.25 bay drives, more fan ports etc.

It shouldn't be a possibility, that's why question is asked beforehand to eliminate the possibility and go straight to need/want. So ultimately the OP made a good choice: the Haf 912 since he knew what he wanted.

Everything is a possibility.

The next new cool thing could be eatx only. I am not a psychic so I can't really predict that. I can't do math based on current statistics, though.

All those other things you mentioned can have their value calculated as well using real world statistics and their values added with the eatx value and thus we can come up with a figure for what the HAF XM should cost as a result of the increased capabilities.

That price won't be more than half the difference, though, at most. Luxury products (including the top models of almost everything in existence) generally are worse on cost/benefit than the base models of pretty much everything. You pay a premium if you want the best of the best.

Is a 3960X worth $1000 in comparison to the 3930K which is like $400? Not really, the added stuff on the 3960X may be worth $100 at the most, with the other $500 being the price you pay to have the best of the best and not just second best.

I would guess if we did the math on all the features of the XM against their likelihood to actually be useful, the XM would come out to about $80. The other $50 would be sacrificed to the awesomeness gods.

1) It is worthwhile for you to pay more to get more when you spent the whole thread trying to determine which one has the better value and its not the high dollar one?

Probably not.

2) Don't have the HAF XM, so I don't know. You should be able to look this up, though.