New Build on intel 6 Core!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Intel
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2012 4:56:22 AM

Hi Everyone,

I just bought an Intel Core i7-3930K Processor (3.20GHz w/ 12MB Cache) and an Intel SSD 520 Series (SATA III Solid State Drive, 180GB) through Intel employee purchase program. I need help building a system around it. Here are some important details.

Approximate Purchase Date: June 2012
Budget Range: ~$1000-1200 (CDN) (Only for parts required....see below)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Surfing the internet,Gaming, watching movies
Parts Required: Motherboard, Graphics Card, Power Supply, RAM and a Case
Parts Not Required: CPU, SSD Drive, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, Office etc.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Memoryexpress.com, would love some suggestions on websites in Canada
Parts Preferences: None - You guys recommend.
Overclocking: Not Priority
SLI or Crossfire: None
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Additional Comments: Require a good Case suggestion

Just wanted to get that out of the way. I am building a new computer after a while and have not been keeping up for a few years. This is the main reason I am asking for help with suggestions for the parts I should be buying.

Here are few things I found in my research in last few days!
The Prices and links are all from Memoryexpress.com (my local computer store)
MotherBoard:
MSI X79MA-GD45- Gen 3 w/ DDR3 2400, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX / SLI - $219.99
AsRock X79 Extreme 3 w/ DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX / SLI - $254.99
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 w/ DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX / SLI - $264.99
Don't really need SLI or Crossfire but seems like they are included with most of these motherboards.

Ram:
I would like to go for 32GB of Ram. I am confused though...is it possible to go above DDR3 1600 for this processor (and motherboards)?
GSKILL RipjawsX Series 32GB PC3-12800 DDR3 Quad Channel Kit (4 x 8GB) - $229
CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1600MHz CL10 Quad Channel Kit (4 x 8GB), Black -$259

Graphics Card:
Hoping to stay in the current generation of graphics cards (Radeon - 7XXX and Geforce GT 6XX) but it seems like most of the graphic cards are out of my budget. I hoping not to spend more than ~$350 on the video card.

Powersupply: Need Suggestions
Case: Need Suggestions

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

More about : build intel core

a b å Intel
June 1, 2012 5:22:43 AM

NCIX is hands down the best in Canada. If you're building a whole rig I suggest that you contact their sales department by phone because you'll be able to get some sweet deals. I saved about 300-400 bucks on my rig (see sig) off their regular retail prices

If you want high speed RAM, go with an Asus P9X79 or Ramapge IV Extreme

You will also need a good power supply, I recommend SeaSonic X series and nothing else

Case: Anything from Corsair is good imo
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2012 6:36:26 AM

Directcanada is better and has free shipping with orders over $50.
m
l
July 14, 2012 6:54:46 PM

Pinhedd said:
NCIX is hands down the best in Canada. If you're building a whole rig I suggest that you contact their sales department by phone because you'll be able to get some sweet deals. I saved about 300-400 bucks on my rig (see sig) off their regular retail prices

If you want high speed RAM, go with an Asus P9X79 or Ramapge IV Extreme

You will also need a good power supply, I recommend SeaSonic X series and nothing else

Case: Anything from Corsair is good imo
...Why would your recommend a extreme board because with a extreme board means more extreme parts that leads to about 40% jump on the total cost..You talk about saving money when you go the Rampage route your talking big money....
m
l
July 15, 2012 4:35:02 AM

Quote:
Surfing the internet,Gaming, watching movies

Hoping to stay in the current generation of graphics cards (Radeon - 7XXX and Geforce GT 6XX) but it seems like most of the graphic cards are out of my budget. I hoping not to spend more than ~$350 on the video card.

For the usage patterns above, an Ivy 1155 K + Z77 is good to go and i would look at GTX 670, HD 7970, etc? The reason you can't hit these is because the funds are diverted to the pricey 2011 mobo/chip and 32GB RAM
m
l