Sign in with
Your question

Newbie>me Not enought power? [Solved] But what now?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2012 6:47:10 AM

Hey Everyone,

Just put together my first computer and when I press the on button, its turns on (fans are turning) for a few secs and then it stops, then turns on again. Thankfully, it did not explode. I'm not sure whats wrong. Here are my specs: (I included the website<which should provide most of the additional specs)

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EYV690/ref=oh_deta...

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152181

MSI Z77A-G43 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Item #: N82E16813130646
MSI 626 913 0828

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814130625

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
Item #: N82E16819115072

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB

Hope all that info helps:)  What should I do?

Thanks for looking into it.

More about : newbie enought power solved

June 1, 2012 7:10:46 AM

This may seem like a silly question to some but did you make sure you installed the standoff screws before installing the motherboard?

also have you installed the small speaker? if so is it making any beeps?

(Edit)
600w should be enough for that setup for sure.
m
l
June 1, 2012 7:24:02 AM

Oh no its not a silly question. The instruction manual that came with my case said to use different screws so I didn't use the standoff. Also I don't have any speakers, and there is no beeping noise.

I will change the screws to standoff screws right now:) 

Thank You so much^^ Let's see if this works!
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2012 7:30:23 AM

600W is more than enough; that's not your problem.

This kind of problem is the kind of thing that can happen when 1) Your motherboard board is shorting to the case, or 2) a power connector is not plugged in.

#2 is probably most common when someone forgets to plug in the auxiliary motherboard power - in this case an 8-pin plug that probably snaps in half to two 4-pin parts. (Do NOT confuse this with the 6+2 pin PCIe plug designed for a video card!)

The other way that can happen is if the video card itself does not have the power cable plugged in, or if it is not sitting correctly in the slot (which also provides some power.) Either one of those, the machine starts up, sees that something's not getting enough power, and shuts off. It would usually be a real quick start-stop.

Less common causes could be a problem with the power switch (sending a continuous signal like it's being held down), or a problem with the power supply itself (would be bad luck since it's brand new out of the box, but it happens).

edit: In case it wasn't clear, #1, the motherboard shorting to the case, would be caused by not using standoff screws if you were supposed to. However, in most cases, it would be difficult to get the motherboard to sit correctly and line up with the back panel opening if you made that mistake. So - interesting to see how this turns out.
m
l
June 1, 2012 7:41:46 AM

No it is still turning off and on. I tried putting in the standoff screws but I could only get two in. I think that is not what is causing the problem hopefully.

Any more ideas on what it could be?
m
l
June 1, 2012 7:57:36 AM

I'm confused, all the standoffs should fit... maybe post a pic of what your talking about? I mean like how they don't fit, its all standardized sizes...
m
l
June 1, 2012 8:01:43 AM

The mother board is bending slightly, ever so slightly. You probably couldn't tell without touching it.
The auxiliary motherboard power is connected.

The graphics card has the power cable plugged in but I did have some problems putting in the card into the slot because the case was in the way. There is like min 1/10cm of the card showing on one side of the slot and the other looks like it is in.

I wonder if that matters but if it does what should I do? Cut off some of the metal parts that are blocking it and if so how do I do that?

m
l
June 1, 2012 8:07:11 AM

Erm, what case are you using, also do you have a camera? When you say your motherboard is bending slightly... Where at?
m
l
June 1, 2012 8:17:05 AM

Bends in the center I guess. Its not that bad.

I can't copy and paste pics...
m
l
June 1, 2012 9:01:05 AM

Your video card looks ok to me. But the standoffs... are supposed to go underneath the motherboard (inbetween the motherboard and the case, then screw the screw into the standoff instead of the case.)

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9344/cameraawesomeph...

Did you screw the standoff through the motherboard and into the case?
m
l
June 1, 2012 11:45:23 AM

Remove everything from your case (you can leave the PSU and disk drives in). Take picture #4 again, without any of the components installed.

Then you take a close look at where the holes are in your motherboard - those are the positions where you need to put the standoffs in the case.
Put in the standoffs. Take another picture of the case (we want to see your mainboard tray with the standoffs installed).
Put your mainboard ontop of the standoffs. Use the screws with the fine threads to secure the mainboard to the standoffs.
Put the rest of your system back in.
Doublecheck all connections.
m
l
June 1, 2012 11:54:13 AM

mouse24 said:

It certainly looks like he's screwed the board into the motherboard tray using the standoff instead of screwing the standoff into the motherboard tray and then the motherboard on top of it... :ouch: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2012 5:18:43 PM

mouse24 said:
Your video card looks ok to me. But the standoffs... are supposed to go underneath the motherboard (inbetween the motherboard and the case, then screw the screw into the standoff instead of the case.)

I agree, that doesn't look right. It seems like the motherboard is pressed directly against the metal of the case with nothing underneath.
m
l
June 1, 2012 11:33:16 PM

I corrected the standoff screw and now my motherboard is not touching the case but it still turns off and on. I tried taking everything out and I put back the motherboard and cpu. Then I turned it on but the same thing happened. It turns on and off.

So I checked the power supply with my volt meter. The 24-pin power connector only 2 out of the 12 pins have voltage. The #4 pin has 5.1v (suppose to be +5v, so this one is good) and the #21 pin has 4v (suppose to be +5v). Is that correct? Maybe I have a defective power supply but to be sure, before sending it back, what other ways are there to troubleshoot the power supply.

Also the fan is not working and when I check the input it is getting 110v.

Pin # Assignment:

1. +3.3v
2. +3.3v
3. Ground
4. +5v
5. Ground
6. +5V
7. Ground
8. PWR OK
9. 5VSB
10. +12v
11. +12v
12. +3.3v
13. +3.3v
14. -12v
15. Ground
16. PS-ON#
17. Ground
18. Ground
19. Ground
20. Res
21. +5v
22. +5v
23. +5v
24. Ground
m
l
June 1, 2012 11:55:59 PM

the same thing happened to me when i built my 775 pc. make sure that cpu fan is in all the way, i had to try it a couple times before i figured out how to put in and secure it properly. see if you can find a video of it on youtube
m
l
June 2, 2012 12:27:32 AM

My mistake it was the #9 pin 5VSB that had 5.2v (not #4) and the #16 pin PS-ON# had 4v (not #21).

I'm not sure if it is the cpu fan. What I meant was that the power supply fan was not working but I did try shorting the fan by connecting the pin #15 and 16 with a wire. The power supply fan did turn on when I did this so I'm not sure why it does not turn on when connected to my motherboard.
m
l
June 2, 2012 12:53:06 AM

Gonna take a wild guess here and say you shorted your motherboard :/  and 5.1v is still within the 5% spec so thats fine.
m
l
June 2, 2012 12:56:53 AM

ikyuri said:
The power supply fan did turn on when I did this so I'm not sure why it does not turn on when connected to my motherboard.

Double-check that all your studs are lined up with holes since motherboard trays often have more holes than motherboards do to accommodate different form factors. If you left extraneous or misplaced studs in, they might be shorting something.

If you are 100% certain all studs are in the correct positions and that everything is connected properly then your initially incorrect mounting might have killed something on your motherboard.
m
l
June 2, 2012 1:23:46 AM

Build the computer outside of the case. Just put the anti-static bag on the motherboard box and then the motherboard on top of that. If that doesn't work, you might have killed your motherboard.
m
l
June 2, 2012 2:12:48 AM

yes I think I did short my motherboard but how do I know it is not the CPU? And if I did short my motherboard does that mean I have to buy another one?
m
l
June 2, 2012 2:23:14 AM

Okay I tried one more thing before I bought another one. First I have the cpu (cpu fan too), one memory card and all of the power connectors plugged in (the 24-pin and 4-pin) and two system fans. When I turned it on again it works!!! It stays on!!! So what does that mean? Not enough power? Does that mean I can only use 1 memory card?
m
l
June 2, 2012 2:34:54 AM

Update I tried putting another memory card back in put it didn't work. Then I changed the card slots around and found that the two right memory slots on the motherboard is not working. I put the two memory cards in the two left memory slots and it works and stays on. So does that mean I got defective memory card slots on my motherboard or did I just short 2 of them because I didn't put the standoff screws? And can I return my motherboard and ask for a replacement?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 2, 2012 4:45:45 AM

What I would do first is download memtest86+ and test out each stick of RAM one at a time in the slot you think is "good." If you were unlucky enough to get a bad stick, that could cause these kinds of problems sometimes. For the memory slot itself to go bad would be less common.

If it turns out the motherboard is burnt out, hell yes, try to send it back and if anyone asks questions, just say "I don't know, it just never worked." Unless there's obvious damage to it, like burn marks or scratches on the underside. That's another thing to check for. If you scratched the bottom of the board during the improper screwing-in and were unlucky enough to cut the little traces that went to something important, you could just be SOL.
m
l
June 20, 2012 3:31:31 AM

Glad you got that fixed then :)  its ok, i ran my motherboard flat against my backplate for about 5 months before i decided to take everything out, clean any traces of dust and get my cable management better, only the did I realise that I completely forgot to add my standoff screws haha. It's small mistakes like that, that you have to watch out for when building your first PC.
m
l
Related resources
!