Extremely slow, hanging Ati Radeon 4650

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Computer
  • Google Redirect
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
April 1, 2012 9:59:15 PM

Hello, just the other day i was fiddling with some malware removal tools to get rid of that google redirect virus. Shortly after, once i got rid of the virus, my computer wouldnt start. It was just a black screen. i restarted it and finally it worked but now, my computer is THE slowest thing i have every seen, it takes about 10 seconds to highlight something and the mouse is sticking. At first i was completely stunned because my computer just broke down on me, but a quick go into safe mode and turning off of the video adapter, and it was back to normal.

Although this happened at a time when i deleted some suspicious software, i dont believe it has anything to do with my problem because i have heard that this particular card has bad overheating issues.

The computer is going mega slow and sometimes it goes black then a window appears with that message 'display driver stopped responding'. Everything about the computer was working fine(from what i know) just up until a few days ago when this happened. Is this my gpu finally dead? Please help me. Im not too pc knowledgable either but will be happy to give any needed info.

Oh, this also happened around the time i installed windows 7 service pack 1.

Thank you!

More about : extremely slow hanging ati radeon 4650

April 2, 2012 7:30:53 PM

Launch task manager, go to the performance tab. Any jaggies?
Also, go to the process tab and look at the CPU numbers. Any at 100?
April 2, 2012 9:16:06 PM

MajinCry said:
Launch task manager, go to the performance tab. Any jaggies?
Also, go to the process tab and look at the CPU numbers. Any at 100?

seems like most of the processes are at 0, apart from system process which is at about 60-99. No jaggies on the performance part, seems to be sitting at the bottom with some small jumps.
Related resources
April 3, 2012 12:02:17 AM

Thats wierd.

How much free space is on the drive(s)?
April 3, 2012 6:41:15 PM

MajinCry said:
Thats wierd.

How much free space is on the drive(s)?

Got 51 free gig.
April 8, 2012 7:19:04 PM

Do you have an Integrated GPU? Try taking out your current card and running your computer through the IGPU. Should determine if your card is dieing.
April 8, 2012 8:02:05 PM

No i just have the one card. I can only disable the card, then the computer works fine. I'm starting to think it is just my GPU but i want to be sure before i go and buy another one, y'know?
April 8, 2012 9:24:03 PM

Fair enough. If your willing, you could try and find a cheap and nasty card just for the sake of testing, to see if your card is really dieing.
April 9, 2012 12:15:52 AM

Shall do. Thanks :)