wont boot to xp with new mb/processor

G

I was wondering if someone could help me. I just bought a abit KG7 and an AMD athlon 1600+ xp, and after installing it and flashing the bios I was able to get the harddrive to read. It attempts to boot up to Windows XP (professional), but goes directly to a black screen, same as with safe mode, i need to get some kind of boot up disk or something that can read NTFS drives...all I have is a 98 bootup disk which wont read my C: drive cause its been converted, so i cant even get on it to reinstall windows... I dont want to reformat cause I have tons of data that i dont want to lose, does anyone know a way around this? Are there any utils on the CD that i can run to revert back to Fat32? Any help would be appreciated.. thanks

G

Usually when windows cant find a system disk it says something to that effect on screen. It usually doesnt just go black like that. It sounds to me like you are having some sort of hardware problem, not OS problem. You may have already tried this, but go into your BIOS and set your RAM bus speed to 100MHZ. It is probably at 133 or something by default. I have had trouble with this in the past, but unfortunately if this helps you boot up that means your RAM is not of the greatest quality or for some reason your new MB doesn't like it.
Good luck.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Toccata on 01/04/02 09:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>