Sign in with
Your question

5.1 surround not working on my sound card

Last response: in Components
September 26, 2012 10:35:19 PM

I have an Omega striker 7.1 sound card. I have my logitech z5500 plugged into the card. Yes correctly. When I play test from the logitech receiver. Sound comes out of all the speakers, but when I play something in surround. Sound only comes out of front/center/sub.

I have triple checked that all the plug ins are correct. I have downloaded the newest driver update. I have played with the settings in control panel/sound/drivers.

But no luck.
September 27, 2012 1:27:46 AM

this makes no sense. I took 2 headphone splitters and connected the 3 wires together. And plugged the single auxilary into the front speaker output.

And now 5.1 is working. but that makes no sense. when I plug in all the auxilaries individually. the 5.1 doesn't work.
that doesn't make any sense.
m
l
September 27, 2012 1:34:32 AM

You told you have plugged it correctly, but how did you do that?

m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2012 12:18:13 PM

I'm willing to bet he used SPDIF rather then analog, which means you are bound by SPDIF format limitations. Besides, you lose quality by using SPDIF, since the Z5500's, not the soundcard, will be doing the audio conversion to analog.
m
l
September 27, 2012 1:23:46 PM

I think the opposite as he said "all the plugs", while the SPDIF is a single cable, but let the OP manifests.

m
l
September 27, 2012 10:20:29 PM

gamerk316 said:
I'm willing to bet he used SPDIF rather then analog, which means you are bound by SPDIF format limitations. Besides, you lose quality by using SPDIF, since the Z5500's, not the soundcard, will be doing the audio conversion to analog.

no. Did not use a fiber optic cable. I used the 6 channel direct cables. 3 indivual auxiliaries. sub/center. rear, and front. The sound card is set to digital. There is no option to set it to analog. We have tried.
We have the 5.1 working at the moment. If you look at the pictures I posted. We took all 3 of the 6 channel cables and plugged them into headphone splitters until we were left with 1 auxiliary. That is now plugged into the front stage. And for some reason. 5.1 works that way. Which doesn't make any sense.

P.S. I am not worried about sound quality.
m
l
!