Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First PC Build - Targeting Performance & Silence - Need your help

Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2012 7:15:28 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am looking forward on getting to know you and be familiar with the forum here. On my request, I want to build my very first pc and asking your help.

My current system that bought from Dell around 2004 and did some upgrades later is working fine for the most part but because of running windows 7, the fans don’t stop running and produce more noise. That pc last me for these many years but now I feel the need to upgrade and need your help.

Btw this is my system:
Model: Dell Dimension 9100
Case: Genuine White Glossy Dell Case
CPU: Pentium®D 2.80GHz
RAM: 3.00GB
GPU:NVIDIA GeForce 6800
Media (HL CD Writer // Philips DVD+ -RW// Samsung Media Card Reader)
Hard Drives (250GB Maxtor 7L250S0 ATA //500GB ST3500418AS ATA)

So, I know what goals want to achieve with my new tower and I need your help to build the best possible solution that will serve my needs for the next years. I watched lots of videos on YouTube lately and I cant wait to build my own pc.

Here are some of my requirements:

Price: <$1500 will be great

Case: Something that is not bulky please. I don’t want to show off on my tower but I’ll love it to be quite as possible.

Case Fans: The quietest, the better! – I really like if possible a very big 230mm like those in the Rosewill THOR v2 case.

Case Lights: Yes if they are part of the case but not something too much.

CPU: Something that will NOT need to be over clocked. I might sound funny but besides building the pc, I have no interest to mess around with the hardware again (unless I have to).

Memory: Anything that will make it Fast. Very fast is even better

Video Card: I don’t have the time anymore to play games but I do want to stop by the best buy and get the latest game knowing that my machine will play it fine. <$200 is good for a video card since gaming is not my first priority here.

Cooler: I don’t think I need it since I am not planning to squeeze the life out of my processor.

Motherboard: That is a mystery to me. I don’t know anything about boards and is all up to you help.

Power supply: Power! Power! Power!

HDD: They are all good. Either one 2TB or two 1TB drives for my media will be good.

SSD: My eyes are on the Crucial 128GB M4 to be used for booting, apps and new games

Optical: A Blue-Ray will be great.

Other1: Wireless Card

Other2: TV Tuner that can be used with WMC and record tv shows]

Other3: A Tookit that will assist me on my build.

Mouse & Keyboard: Silence is the key here. The quiter the better

Monitor: That is the Only part that I have and don’t need one (SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER SMS23A550H)

Thank you for taking the time to read my long post. I am looking forward on your responses and help to build a dreaming machine.
June 1, 2012 8:39:50 AM

For Cases i suggest this silent case from fractal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cpu wise i suggest you the I5 2400 stable and will still be fast for 2 or 3 years.

Now Video Card you dont need a much but still want something for those gaming days that come every 2 months. A gtx 560 will do the trick.

Now , if you really really really wanna go silent mode like no sound coming from your pc this is the build i recommend to you, saw a video with these exact parts like 2 months ago.

Intel Core i5-3570K CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard
Sapphire Ultimate Radeon HD 6670 Fanless GPU
G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8GB DDR3 1600
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 128GB SSD
Scythe SCMG-3000 CPU Cooler
Seasonic SS-460FL 460W Fanless PSU
Antec Sonata Series SOLO II Case
Scythe SY1225SL12L Case Fan
Windows 7 Professional x64

the only thing i dont like its the video card, but as you said you are not gaming , but the 6670 should be able to run all the current games with decent frame rates in low settings, remember you are going ivy bridge and 6670 because of the Fanless power supply of 400w, this power supply is good quality and from a good brand.
m
l
June 1, 2012 3:20:47 PM

Thank you Chulex67 for your information.
m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2012 6:05:03 PM

One other think. Is it necessary to add wireless card or the motherboards come with that build in? Just curious.
m
l
August 26, 2012 8:16:10 PM

After a while and by doing extensive research online and watching several YouTube videos, I came down with the following setup:

CPU // Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.99 (Based on Good Reviews)
CPU Cooler // Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $85.99 (Based on Good Reviews - Silent & Efficient)
Motherboard // Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $199.99 (One of the latest Micro ATX board on the Market with lots of features)
Memory // G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $87.99 (Based on Good Reviews)
Storage // Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $169.99 (Great Reviews & 5y warranty. To be my main data drive)
Storage // Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $209.99 (OS, Programs, Steam & Other Games)
Video Card // Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card $92.99 (Based on Reviews on of the best Fanless GPU's. - Silent & Good price) (Also considering the Asus Radeon HD 6770 1GB DirectCU Silent or the SAPPHIRE Ultimate Radeon HD 7750 1GB)
Case // Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case $99.99 (Silent, Solid, Small, excactly what I want from a case)
Power Supply // Kingwin 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $169.99 (Based on Reviews on of the best Fanless PSU's. Platinum Efficiency & Silent)
Optical Drive // Lite-On ihes112-04 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $54.99 (For older games and movies)
OS // Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) $139.99 (Best by Test)
Extra Fan // Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm CPU Cooler and Case Fan 26.99 (Newegg) $26.99 (Move the rear fan to front of case and add there the Noctua)
Total (12 Items): $1577.83

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fIMc

My goal is to build a compact/quiet system that without many modifications will be efficient for gaming in the next 5+ years and good workstation in the years to come. I want to achive that by loading the case with the best of the best available at this point on the market without going overboard on some componenets (like the video card). I am not familiar with overclocking but I'll like to give it a try if I can.

Can this case handle all these components?
Can my video card be upgraded to something else that will not be producing much noice & heat and not be long enough to allow me having both hard drive cages in the case?
Am I using all the features of the motherboard or is overkill?
Is it possible that PSU to handle all of that?

My goal in the next years (if needed) is to upgrade only the GPU and be happy with the rest of it.

Please review my system and help me with your knowledge. That will be my first build and looking forward on your response.

Thank you
m
l
August 27, 2012 6:42:48 PM

Your above build is def overkill. The 6670 is quite underwhelming even for occasional gaming. I picked a 6870 - you can tweak the fan profiles so it's silent under normal use anyway.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($94.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $784.86
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-27 14:44 EDT-0400)
m
l

Best solution

August 27, 2012 7:17:37 PM

Hey-o Greek!

Here is my personal suggestion for your build that i think will suit your needs better and save you about $300-$500 in the process.
This build is 100% focused on stock performance (no OC required), and getting the best bang-per-buck.

CPU: I5-3470 ($30 savings)
The 3570K you chose is a shmexy cpu... but if you are not going to overclock this system, then don't waste your money on a cpu that flashy. The 3470 is almost the exact same CPU, just without the same OC potential that the 3570K has, also it's about $30 cheaper.

CPU COOLER: none ($86 savings)
If you aren't going to OC then i highly doubt that you'll ever NEED the extra cooling provided by an aftermarket heatsink. Also, in a micoATX case like the one you've chosen (more on that later) you will be strapped for space as it is.

MoBo: ASRock z77 Pro3 ATX ($105 savings)
this is a above average workhorse type board (its borderline gaming mobo, just with a smaller window to OC with, right up you alley IMO)

RAM: Same
I can't say enough good things about the Gskills ram, its a beast.

HDD Storage: Toshiba 1TB 7200RPM, 6Gb/s ($80 savings)
you can upgrade to a 2TB if you want to, but HDD's are cheap now and there isn't a real big reason to go over the top with a caviar black on your first build, especialy if it is going to be a workhorse machine and not something for your own enjoyment. (they ARE amazing HDD's, the ARE dependable... But the ARE overpriced compared to other things out there. IMO with caviar black you are mostly paying for the name.)
*raises flame-shield*

SSD main drive: Crucial M4 256GB (same thing but $30 cheaper)
I can see where you saw the $210 price, but newegg has these bad-boys discounted to $180, can't beat it. these things are fast!

GPU: ASUS 6770 ($10 more... well not really, but more on that later)
It's an awesome GPU for what you pay for. I just changed the manufacture for a combo deal.

CASE: Corsair Carbide 300R ($20 savings)
It's a little taller than the microATX case you had chosen, but TRUST ME this case is well worth it. For less money, this case is built with much more detail and better components (removable dust filters, better fans, rolled steel mesh, ect.) This case also has amazing airflow to further reduce heat (and noise) by not having a middle 3.5 cage.

PSU: Rosewill HIVE 750W ($80 savings)
I have used seasonic PSU's in the past (and they are top notch by-far) but the new rosewill lineup can't be beat for the price. 750W is overkill for this build, but this PSU is a must for a combo deal and it is rated at 40C idle, well worth the overage.

Optical Drive : You can keep the blu-ray drive if you REALLY want to... but a simple $20 dvd burner should be more than adequite, unless like i said... you NEED blu-ray.

pro is over-rated, but just like the optical drive, you can get it you want it.

Extra fan: not needed with the better airflow from the 300R case

Here are the links to the combo deals to assembly this system, i'll let you see the crazy savings for yourself
(hint: it's nice to price-hunt like a fiend) :D 

MoBo & SSD for $250 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

CPU & PSU combo for $262 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

GPU & RAM for $149 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
+ $45 for another 8GB ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CASE & HDD for $152 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

TOTAL w/ win7home and dvd= $974 before shipping
TOTAL w/ win7PRO and BLU-RAY = $1054

I hope that helps!
September 4, 2012 11:00:19 PM

Is it possible someone to review my request? I appreciate all the reply's and especially Westlight for his suggestions but really the problem is not money and I really like that case.
m
l
September 5, 2012 5:54:33 PM

Best answer selected by DionTheGreek.
m
l
September 5, 2012 7:33:20 PM

glad that i could lend you a hand :D 
m
l
!