• Homebuilt
  • Wireless
  • Mice
  • Logitech
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2012 7:51:59 AM

I've been wondering about this and I'd like to get feedback from others to confirm something I suspect.

Over the past 4 years I've had several wireless mice fail on me. The very first one I bought was a Logitech LX7, I've had a couple different ones since then including my most recent Logitech M310. It seems to me that wireless mice are just finnicky things prone to failure. They stop working, have erratic movements, I suspect something goes wrong with the USB receiver, or the transmitter in the mouse itself. Now sure, this issue is probably hastened by the occasional dropping the wireless mouse off a desk (who hasn't had that happen?)

We've all heard the saying "they just don't make 'em like they used to". In the age of everything being made in China, we know this is true. Either way, I've decided to purchase a wired Logitech G500 this time around.

What is everyone else's experience with wireless mice and their usable life? And what are the technical reasons these mice fail?

More about : wireless mice failre

a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2012 9:21:18 AM

I bought a premium wireless logitech mouse ~$60-70 and after a year it stopped charging. so I had to buy a new one. after a year it stopped charging as well. No more Logitech for me. Now that I've switched to a MS mouse I've had no problems. the MS mice have standard removable batteries :) 
m
l
June 1, 2012 11:33:56 AM

On topic: I have no idea, I owned one once ... it was far to annoying needing to charge the batteries every so often (or buying new ones as in my case)

Off topic: speaking of wireless mice... why is this a shell shocker? http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=S...

The heck is newegg selling us :/ 
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2012 5:55:59 PM

The first wireless mouse I had, required batteries to be changed frequently and often. And now that I've thought of that, there was one before the LX7. Don't ask me what model it was though.

As far as what Newegg is selling us.. Someone took a dump in a box and marked it a Geforce 210.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2012 6:32:44 PM

I had an Logitech mouse from 5 years ago that kind of works (behaves erratically for gaming). I gave it to my younger sister about a year ago when I bought a new logitech 510.
m
l
June 1, 2012 6:53:56 PM

Well let me tell you my experience with wireless mice.

I used to have the RAT 9 - it was a gift.

It was a very awesome wireless mouse - almost no lag at all. That is until one day it just started getting finicky and wouldn't work correctly. One of the buttons on the left hand side somehow screwed up and every time I left clicked or right clicked - it was as if that button was being pushed. I knew it was a hardware fault as uninstalling and re-installing didn't work. I also took care of the mouse (making sure it didn't drop).

Anyways - my rat 9 is now in rat heaven. Out of extreme rage the mouse was smashed to pieces :)  .

Now i'm currently using the Razer NAGA MMO mouse. Which can switch between wired and wireless mode. The wireless works very well and the battery lasts decently. I can switch back to wired mode once the battery runs out.

It's actually a very good mouse - I remapped my "1" and "4" keys on the keypad on the mouse to use as my "foward " and "back" button.

IMO they need to work on the quality of some mice. The RAT 9 is great - but it doesn't seem to be as sturdy as it looks. I would love to see possibly an aluminum mouse with solid parts and maybe even some replaceable rubber "no slip" grips on it - if thats even possible.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2012 7:10:36 PM

Last's year, if u will use it 2hrs a day : ) lol

Use rechargeable batteries.

Now I am using Performance MX .
m
l
June 1, 2012 7:11:08 PM

@Chainsaw, I knew a guy in one of my classes who had a RAT, I was looking at those yesterday before I decided on the Logitech G500. (Yea, maybe I should stop buying Logitech mice!) I decided to give it a pass, seemed like it was souped up to make it look fancier than it actually was.

My M310 had a tragic accident yesterday as well...

m
l
June 1, 2012 7:16:28 PM

nekulturny said:
@Chainsaw, I knew a guy in one of my classes who had a RAT, I was looking at those yesterday before I decided on the Logitech G500. (Yea, maybe I should stop buying Logitech mice!) I decided to give it a pass, seemed like it was souped up to make it look fancier than it actually was.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2380/deadmouse.jpg

Looks like you made a good choice and skipped the RAT!

IDK what the problem was - but I did know quite a few people had similar issues to mine.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2012 7:36:48 PM

nekulturny said:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2380/deadmouse.jpg

One unlucky mouse.
m
l
!