Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$1500-$2000 Gaming Computer

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 1, 2012 8:13:58 AM

Hello everyone,
This is my first time ever posting on these forums and also my first time ever doing anything like this! (making my own PC).
I was just here to ask you guys what do you recommend I get with my budget of $1500-$2000 (Can +500 if needed.)
I am just after this so I can get a estimate and a items list (and links maybe) of what to buy. So I can save up the money
And then start to build my new computer. (Currently using a piece of *** laptop. (for gaming at least) going to end up
selling it for some cash to get parts quicker )

Here is the proper layout for it for you guys...

Approximate Purchase Date: Whenever I get the money - about, August.

Budget Range: $1500-$2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing, Game Development, Watching Movies, Home

Parts Not Required: Mouse (Need everything else)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, Ebay. (Ebay may not be the best i know that.)

Country: QLD, Australia.

Parts Preferences: I was thinking of using a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970. I am open for suggestions on everything else

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Looking for a very High-End Gaming PC, Looks doesn't really matter, Just want the performance and quality for the gaming side of it.
Related resources

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
June 1, 2012 10:13:24 AM

By August the GTX 660 2GB will be released. It will go for $300 USD which means that card will be $400 AUD. That cuts $100 of this build. Also the SSD's, hard drives and hopefully the motherboards will drop some in price by then also. But this build gives you a basic idea.

http://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-600/geforce-gtx-66... <----- GTX 660


http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $105.00
CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $119.00
OCZ Technology ZT Series 750W Power Supply

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $154.00
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z77_extreme... <----- review of that board with benchmarks

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extre... <----- another look at that board along with a link to the latest bios

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $245.00
Intel Core i5 3570K

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $39.00
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $65.00
G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAO 8GB (2x4GB)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $22.00
LG GH24NS90 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $99.00
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $499.00
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6... <----- gtx 670 review with benchmarks

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $99.00
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $139.00
LG IPS226V-PN 21.5in IPS Widescreen LED Monitor

Total: $1,585.00 AUD inc. GST *not including shipping



http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $129.00
SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10476/kw/... <----- recent firmware update for that Sandisk SSD

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $479.00
Palit GeForce GTX 670 2GB

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $109.00
Corsair Carbide 300R Compact Gaming Case

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $69.00
Corsair Vengeance 1300 Analog Gaming Headset

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $39.00
Logitech G400 Optical Gaming Mouse

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $55.00
Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $59.00
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Share
June 1, 2012 10:20:58 AM

Why_Me said:
By August the GTX 660 2GB will be released. It will go for $300 USD which means that card will be $400 AUD. That cuts $100 of this build. Also the SSD's, hard drives and hopefully the motherboards will drop some in price by then also. But this build gives you a basic idea.

http://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-600/geforce-gtx-66... <----- GTX 660


http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $105.00
CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $119.00
OCZ Technology ZT Series 750W Power Supply

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $154.00
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z77_extreme... <----- review of that board with benchmarks

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extre... <----- another look at that board along with a link to the latest bios

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $245.00
Intel Core i5 3570K

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $39.00
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $65.00
G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAO 8GB (2x4GB)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $22.00
LG GH24NS90 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $99.00
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $499.00
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6... <----- gtx 670 review with benchmarks

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $99.00
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $139.00
LG IPS226V-PN 21.5in IPS Widescreen LED Monitor

Total: $1,585.00 AUD inc. GST *not including shipping



http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $129.00
SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10476/kw/... <----- recent firmware update for that Sandisk SSD

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $479.00
Palit GeForce GTX 670 2GB

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... $109.00
Corsair Carbide 300R Compact Gaming Case


Thanks a lot. I will definitely be looking into this. And probably using it (Maybe a bit more Hard Drive and RAM, and also A better version of Win7 for the RAM support they have)

So thank you so much for this.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 1, 2012 10:40:37 AM

If your looking for local parts instead of shipping from PC Case Gear (which is down in Melbourne, so it'l cost a bit) Use this website, just check Queensland in the advanced search and type the component in. It''l find you the cheapest online price in the state.
http://www.staticice.com.au

Why_Me's build is good, definitely get that SSD (though I'd suggest a Crucial M4 or Vertex 4, but all SSD's are faster than HDD's).

m
0
l
a c 214 4 Gaming
June 1, 2012 11:51:43 AM

Here's a build for $2,038 USA dollars that I use as a base build. Scrambled for time at the moment (have to do "daddy taxi") or I would a looked up AUS links for ya

Case - $ 120 - Corsair 500R White http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU - $ 105 - Corsair TX850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MoBo - $ 210 - ASUS P8Z77 pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU - $ 350 - Intel Core i7-3770K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cooler - $ 50 - Hyper 612 PWM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
TIM - $ 5 - Shin Etsu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM - $ 50 - (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (White) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GFX - $ 430 - Asus GTX 670 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GFX - Later - Asus GTX 670 Same
HD - included - WD Black 1 TB Included w/ PSU
SSD - $ 120 - Mushkin Chronos Deluxe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
DVD Writer - $ 58 - Asus Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Monitor $ 330 ASUS VG236H Black 23" 120 Hz Monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Keyboard - $ 100 - Logitech G510 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case - http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Cooler - hhttp://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
The performance of this cooler was excellent, almost unprecedented at this price level


GFX - http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-dire...

Quote:
And that is the general consensus with the DirectCU II TOP edition of the card, it performance as good as a reference GeForce GTX 680.


SSD - http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4328/mushkin_chronos_d...

Quote:
To sum it all up with a bow on top, you get amazing performance, extremely long service life and a hassle free low price point on a drive that literally has very little competition in the marketplace.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 5:07:34 PM

vizio 3d tv 32" $360 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
i5 3570k $240 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
motherboard $180 msi z77 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
psu rosewill $150 lightning series 800W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
cpu cooler $75 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
hard drive $150 western digital black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ssd patriot pyro $115 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ram g.skill eco $90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
case nzxt 410 $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
7970 $480 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
blu ray drive $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
comes out to $1,970 but you would still need a keyboard and os
here is my computers specs
gaming htpc llano A-8 3870K processor, 500gb seagate momentus hybrid drive, 8gb g.skill sniper ram, sony blu ray player, crossfired 6670, bluetooth, wifi, mini keyboard/mouse combo, 450 WATT 80 PLUS PSU, WINDOWS 7 home premium http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TN5PZ6

gaming computer fx 6100 6 core processor,nzxt tempest 410 gaming case, 2tb western-digital green hard disk drive, xfx radeon hd 6870, 8gb crucial ram, corsair h60 liquid cooling, samsung blu ray drive, 630 WATT 80 PLUS PSU, WINDOWS 7 home premium http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007T0DXVM
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
June 1, 2012 5:54:46 PM

Here's an ~$1800 US build that I typically suggest, you can use this as a guide:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950W - $149.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - $189.99
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K - $249.99
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - $89.99
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $69.99
SSD: 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 - $179.99
HD: 2TB Samsung Ecogreen F4 - $119.99
Optical: LG Black Super Multi - $79.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 680 - $499.99

Total: $1,864.89
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 1, 2012 6:31:18 PM

For a GTX 680, you're suggesting 950W for SLI? That is too much. 750W is enough for that. Also, with the GTX 680 only leading by 7% in performance, the $100 less GTX 670 is a better value.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 1, 2012 6:53:51 PM

They don't even sell PC Power & Cooling psu's in Oz.
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
June 1, 2012 6:54:39 PM

azeem40 said:
For a GTX 680, you're suggesting 950W for SLI? That is too much. 750W is enough for that. Also, with the GTX 680 only leading by 7% in performance, the $100 less GTX 670 is a better value.


Does the 750W in addition to the video cards also take into account HDs, fans, optical drives, CPU and everything else?
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 12:19:55 AM

Big +1 to the Why_Me build listed above. Superior performance for a little over $1500AUD. Wow the times we live in :) . 8 GB of RAM like the kit Why_Me posted is plenty for gaming. HDD space is obviously your call, just dont go for any of the 2TB models with 'Green' in the name (slower)

PCCaseGear has an awesome range of parts for a site based in Australia. Shipping prices have gone through the roof in recent times. If you can find that case at a local store, you'll cut your shipping in half. Check MSY. They are everywhere, have less range than PCCaseGear, but are cheap. Ignore their ugly www. Just download their pdf part pricelist and then call your local to check for stock availability.

http://msy.com.au/

Think they currently have the CM HAF 912 ADV for $99AUD

m
0
l
June 2, 2012 12:01:34 PM

Thanks everyone. I will definitely check them all out, especially Why_Me's
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 12:32:31 PM

I have decided to use Why_Me's suggestion :) , Just edited it a little (added a lil' more ram, and a couple things)

thanks a lot everyone for all of the wonderful suggestions
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 9:17:42 PM

One last thing..
@Why_Me what games can that run?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 2, 2012 9:19:58 PM

DarkMiner2011 said:
One last thing..
@Why_Me what games can that run?

All of them on ultra high settings. :) 
m
0
l
June 3, 2012 9:57:26 AM

Why_Me said:
All of them on ultra high settings. :) 

Awesome :D  thanks so much
m
0
l
June 3, 2012 9:57:52 AM

Best answer selected by DarkMiner2011.
m
0
l
June 3, 2012 10:15:15 AM

Sorry to bother you mister awesome Why_Me (just making sure with a couple of things)
All of them on Ultra High settings?, So EVERY game?, for ex. ArmA II, Crysis 2? those type of games as well?,
And would it be ok if I where to change my video card from a EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB to a...
Palit GeForce GTX 670 2GB Jetstream it looks like the same thing, just a different brand and It has two fans on it to control the heating off it a bit better.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 3, 2012 10:18:17 AM

DarkMiner2011 said:
Sorry to bother you mister awesome Why_Me (just making sure with a couple of things)
All of them on Ultra High settings?, So EVERY game?, for ex. ArmA II, Crysis 2? those type of games as well?,
And would it be ok if I where to change my video card from a EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB to a...
Palit GeForce GTX 670 2GB Jetstream it looks like the same thing, just a different brand and It has two fans on it to control the heating off it a bit better.

I prefer EVGA over Palit myself. Better quality and better warranty. The gtx 670 will max any game out there atm.
m
0
l
June 3, 2012 10:45:55 AM

Ok thanks. I will go for the EVGA then. they both cost the same thing so I am fine with it, thanks for all your help! I am going with the Specs said :)  they are good. Max ANY game? That is great!.
Now to get some cash, Sell my laptop, my PS2 games, for some cash. Then.. Buy them :D 
m
0
l
!