Sign in with
Your question

Just built getting cpu fan error

Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2012 2:58:20 PM

i just put together my computer and when i turned it on to see if it worked it said cpu fan error,

i stupidly put the fan down on the copper parts at the top and the outside 2 on either side are bent is that the problem and if so can i switch it out for the stock fan until i can afford a new hyper 212 evo

More about : built cpu fan error

a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 3:19:18 PM

Hello,

Double check your heat sinks fan cable for your CPU -check your motherboard manual to correctly place it in the right spot.
June 1, 2012 3:19:42 PM

Post a pic of the bent pins! not sure what your really saying.

If you bent the pins for the CPU fan hedder on the MoBO, try to get a niddle nose pilers and strighten them out a little at a time.

Related resources
June 1, 2012 3:23:47 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Hello,

Double check your heat sinks fan cable for your CPU -check your motherboard manual to correctly place it in the right spot.

i double checked when it came up and it is in the one called CPU Fan, the fan does spin it just says on the moniter cpu fan error, i think its from the damaged part at the top but do i need to switch it out immediately or can i not do anything to intense until i can afford a new one or should i put the stock fan in for now?
June 1, 2012 3:33:04 PM

Niklas_13 said:
Post a pic of the bent pins! not sure what your really saying.

If you bent the pins for the CPU fan hedder on the MoBO, try to get a niddle nose pilers and strighten them out a little at a time.

http://hardwareoverclock.com/Coolermaster_Hyper_212_EVO...

the link is to a webpage with the evo see the 8 copper coloured parts at the top they are a bit damaged from when i stupidly sat it down on that end(dont ask me why i did, i was just not paying enough attention at the time)
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 3:38:25 PM

Ba1rog said:
i double checked when it came up and it is in the one called CPU Fan, the fan does spin it just says on the moniter cpu fan error, i think its from the damaged part at the top but do i need to switch it out immediately or can i not do anything to intense until i can afford a new one or should i put the stock fan in for now?

Hmmm I still don't understand what you mean. Are you talking about those little nibs at the top of your heatsink? Those only contain conductive fluid to transfer the heat away from the CPU at the base and don't really have anything to do with your CPU fan besides your fan cooling off those heat transfers.
June 1, 2012 3:40:39 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Hmmm I still don't understand what you mean. Are you talking about those little nibs at the top of your heatsink? Those only contain conductive fluid to transfer the heat away from the CPU at the base and don't really have anything to do with your CPU fan besides your fan cooling off those heat transfers.

yes them things could some of them being damaged affect it or at least make it say cpu fan error, the fan still spins as it should it just says theres a cpu error so if its not that i dont know what it could be
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 3:44:21 PM

What is your exact motherboard? I want to look up the specifications.
June 1, 2012 3:45:21 PM

Chainzsaw said:
What is your exact motherboard? I want to look up the specifications.

Asus P8z77-V
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 3:59:10 PM

Ok i'm looking at your motherboard manual right now -

On the top of your motherboard - above your heat sink there are 2 CPU fan connections.

One says "CPU_Fan" and another that says "CPU_OPT". Your CPU HSF should plug into the one that says "CPU_FAN" - it should be the connector on the right side.

Its on page 2-25 of your motherboard manual:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...
June 1, 2012 4:00:23 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Ok i'm looking at your motherboard manual right now -

On the top of your motherboard - above your heat sink there are 2 CPU fan connections.

One says "CPU_Fan" and another that says "CPU_OPT". Your CPU HSF should plug into the one that says "CPU_FAN" - it should be the connector on the right side.

Its on page 2-25 of your motherboard manual:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

Thats the one its in so its not that
June 1, 2012 4:04:37 PM

Ba1rog said:
yes them things could some of them being damaged affect it or at least make it say cpu fan error, the fan still spins as it should it just says theres a cpu error so if its not that i dont know what it could be

Nope, i think you have not have the CPU the EVO pluged into the right fan controller on the mobo. take a pic of whare you have the CPU Cooler pluged into and post
June 1, 2012 4:06:28 PM

Niklas_13 said:
Nope, i think you have not have the CPU the EVO pluged into the right fan controller on the mobo. take a pic of whare you have the CPU Cooler pluged into and post

Its definitely in the cpu fan plug ive checked 3/4 times its in properly, and the fans spin could it not be anything else?
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 4:07:00 PM

As Niklas 13 mentioned please take a good quality pic with good lighting of where you have your cpu fan plugged in. It's hard to help without actually seeing what your doing/ how/where it's plugged in.
June 1, 2012 4:17:14 PM

Chainzsaw said:
As Niklas 13 mentioned please take a good quality pic with good lighting of where you have your cpu fan plugged in. It's hard to help without actually seeing what your doing/ how/where it's plugged in.

i have no way of uploading a pic right now but on the mobo at the top theres 2 plugs for fans right next to eachother one says cpu opt and the other says cpu fan and it is plugged into cpu fan its definitely in the right one and its in properly should i try switching to the stock fan and see if it still comes up?
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 4:21:15 PM

What happens when you try to plug in your fan into the CPU OPT one?

And stock fan? What exact heatsink are you using? I'm a bit confused on that part.

Did you switch the fan that came with your heatsink with another one?
June 1, 2012 4:22:49 PM

Chainzsaw said:
What happens when you try to plug in your fan into the CPU OPT one?

And stock fan? What exact heatsink are you using? I'm a bit confused on that part.

Did you switch the fan that came with your heatsink with another one?

same message pops up and im using the hyper 212 evo and i have the stock fan that comes with the cpu
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 4:26:48 PM

Ok found this on another website:

Using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, I received a "CPU Fan Error" during initial boot, even though the fan was plugged in and spinning. I found out the fan often spins below the default CPU fan minimum speed (set in BIOS) and that is what can cause this "error".

Changing the fan minimum speed from 600 rpm to 400 rpm did the trick and eliminated the error. I just wanted to post incase anyone else has a similar issue and freaks out a bit like I did.
June 1, 2012 4:29:36 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Ok found this on another website:

Using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, I received a "CPU Fan Error" during initial boot, even though the fan was plugged in and spinning. I found out the fan often spins below the default CPU fan minimum speed (set in BIOS) and that is what can cause this "error".

Changing the fan minimum speed from 600 rpm to 400 rpm did the trick and eliminated the error. I just wanted to post incase anyone else has a similar issue and freaks out a bit like I did.

oh sweet thanks yeah it was spinning at 430 ish but will the parts at the top being damaged not affect how hot the cpu is?
a c 229 à CPUs
June 1, 2012 4:30:45 PM

My guess is the wire feeding back the fan speed is damaged or the pin isn't seated correctly.

Try this.....put the 212's fan in the OPT header. Use the stock fan on he CPU header. If message disappears, ya found ya problem
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 4:31:30 PM

The "damage" you did to those nibs at the top shouldn't affect your CPU at all.

If you post us a pic we can confirm it for you. However it should just be a cosmetic thing and not hurt at all.
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 4:34:18 PM

So you don't get the error message anymore?
June 1, 2012 4:40:54 PM

Chainzsaw said:
The "damage" you did to those nibs at the top shouldn't affect your CPU at all.

If you post us a pic we can confirm it for you. However it should just be a cosmetic thing and not hurt at all.

ok i did what you said about setting the rpm to 400 and re tried booting to see if it still came up and it never came up so that should be it thanks! :D 
June 1, 2012 4:42:09 PM

Chainzsaw said:
So you don't get the error message anymore?

nope just switched it back on and nothing came up and the temps look fine so i should be good to go thanks!
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 4:42:46 PM

No problem glad to help.

Have a good friday!
June 1, 2012 4:43:34 PM

Chainzsaw said:
No problem glad to help.

Have a good friday!

i will do now i can relax lol
!