CDROM Gone... and then back again...

G

Wierd one this. I have a 50x Mitsubishi CD ROM (IDE)and its dissappearing, and then reappearing, inbetween reboots of Windows.
I had taken my Hard Drive into the shop where I bought it because it had gotten some bad sectors and I wanted a new one. I got it back today, and after my friend put it back in for me, I set about reinstalling everything. But I soon noticed that my CD ROM, no more than a year old, was reading much slower than it did before, sometimes taking up to 1 and a half minutes just to log a CD. And then, after a reboot, it wouldn't even be recognised in Windows anymore. Another reboot, and it was back! This is a reoccuring, but random, event, but very frustrating nonetheless.
I have tried turning DMA off and on, Disconnect off and on, as well as Read Ahead optimisation off and on. Nothing has worked. I tried configuring it under DOS, and no change. I loaded up my BIOS and loaded its default settings, nothing changed. My friend checked and it looks as though hes hooked everything up right.
So, if anyone has any advice as to where to go next with this, I'd really appreciate it. Just some quick other specs which may help both me and you;

CPU: Celeron 333
RAM: 196 PCI 133
HDD: Master - 30GB 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda II
Slave: - 6GB 5200rpm Western Digital

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Check if the connections are actually tight. Switch the IDE cable, see if that makes a difference. Or perhaps put it on the other IDE channel.
Have you tested this CDROM in another computer?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
I had this problem with my 24x (some brand) cdrom drive in my old p200mmx, it was disappearing every now and then, until one day it no longer appeared at all. I replaced it with Panasonic and that fixed the problem.

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"

TRENDING THREADS