Need help building a new system

Hi this is my first time building a new computer. What i am looking for in this new build is playing games like league of legend, maple story, WoW, etc, (diablo 3), I want to play them in high quality.

So far i am looking at the dell New Xps 8500
(http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8500/pd?oc=dxdwps2&model_id=xps-8500)

i want something similar to that, but as i was reading the forum, i can build something as strong at the XPS 8500 for a cheaper price.

so my budget will be around$900-$1000.

*here what i want in my computer*
minimum ram is 8gb highest 12gb
hard drive at least 1tb
A good graphic card to play my games in high quality.
A good sound card with an optical sound digital or already on on the mother board.

oh and i will you my computer for gaming, surfing the web, and something HD.

I want something similar to the Dell XPS 8500 but stronger and cheaper lol xD

thanks for the help
13 answers Last reply
More about need building system
  1. Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: $900-$1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the web, skype, watching movies.

Parts Not Required: mouse, keyboard, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Parts Preferences: A good reliable brand

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
  2. Here you go:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
    PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W - $84.99
    Motherboard: Asus P8H77-V LE - $119.99
    CPU: 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-3450 - $199.99
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600MHz 1.5V - $46.99
    HD: 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 - $79.99
    Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 - $359.99

Total: $969.82

You could also upgrade to a GTX 670 and still come in under $1K.
  3. Thank you for the suggestion, i was wondering what is the difference between the 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-3450S and the 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor 3.40 GHz
  4. zoidx1 said:
    Thank you for the suggestion, i was wondering what is the difference between the 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-3450S and the 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor 3.40 GHz

For what you need it for, the i7-3770 will not be of use. It's made for multimedia intensive applications like Adobe CS5/CS6, games currently do not use the hyperthreading technology in the 3770 and it will be several years before they catch up.
  5. G-unit I'm sure you didn't mean to recommend a low power underclocked S series cpu right?

You need to decide if you want to overclock or sli/xfire BEFORE anyone can suggest anything because you need an unlocked cpu which costs more to overclock, you also need a more expensive motherboard for overclocking or sli/xfire and you'll also need a more powerful psu for sli/xfire.

Maybe doesn't cut it and if you buy the Dell you won't be able to overclock or sli/xfire. Also the setup G-unit suggested will not allow overclocking or xfire/sli either.
  6. thanks for the reply, i am probably not going to be overclocking or sli/xfire. i just want a good computer to play online games like Wow, Tera online. League of Legend, etc.

oh can you explain who overclock, sli/xfire work?
  7. geekapproved said:
    G-unit I'm sure you didn't mean to recommend a low power underclocked S series cpu right?

You need to decide if you want to overclock or sli/xfire BEFORE anyone can suggest anything because you need an unlocked cpu which costs more to overclock, you also need a more expensive motherboard for overclocking or sli/xfire and you'll also need a more powerful psu for sli/xfire.

Maybe doesn't cut it and if you buy the Dell you won't be able to overclock or sli/xfire. Also the setup G-unit suggested will not allow overclocking or xfire/sli either.

OK I fixed that. OP indicated that they were most likely not going to overclock which is why I recommended the 3450 and H77 instead of the 3570K and Z77. If they want to SLI/Crossfire I'll adjust the motherboard accordingly.

Quote:
    oh can you explain who overclock, sli/xfire work?

That means if you're going to be running an additional GPU or not. If you are then you will need a different motherboard than the one I recommended.
  8. can you give me the difference, pros and cons between these two CPU and which one should i go with
    Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
    Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz
  9. i7 = 4 cores plus hyperthreading (4 more virtual cores)

i5 = 4 cores w/o hyperthreading

K indicates it's an unlocked multiplier for overclocking

You can overclock the Non K some. I'd hold out for the i5-3470, should be out any day now and it easily overclocks to 4ghz.
  10. so wouldn't the Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz be better then the i5
  11. zoidx1 said:
    so wouldn't the Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz be better then the i5

better at what?

Not gaming, no.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems Product