First time build, help would be welcome.

WzKy

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hallü, Tom'speople. This is my first post, and I'm sure most people's first posts were the same - its basically a 'what do?' kinda affair.

I'm gettin ready to build my first rig, and having never done it before, I'm not sure about compatibility, value, and other issues of that type.

I figured the easiest way to do this would be to list what I was thinking of buying, and see if anyone has any comments or suggestions on anything that I've done wrong, or could do better :)

Btw, I'll mainly be gaming, and doing some light video rendering for teh youtubes.

Here goes.

CoolerMaster storm scout mid tower case
Intel i5 2500k
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H MB
Radeon 7970
G.Skill RipjawsX 8gb @1600mhz
1tb seagate barracuda HDD
750watt CoolerMaster GX psu
And the usual DVD drives and such.

One thing I was worried about though, I heard that you should buy 1333 MHz RAM if you were going with a 2500k, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere. Help would be muchos welcome señors.

TL;DR - help me.

1.5v ram is what the Intel rep Chris recommends; you can go with 1333 or 1600; I recommend the standard cl9 9-9-9-24 ram. You can use any of these brands: corsair, kingston, gskill, patriot, hynix, or mushkin. 1600 ram may default to 1333 speed, but this won't hurt the board or the ram. I go for the best deal with rebates. I got my 2x 4 gb patriot for $23 after rebate, but ram prices are higher now.

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

looks like a real nice system,i would buy a better brand power supply,maybe CORSAIR or SEASONIC,and a corsair graphite 600t or obsidian 650D case,but my case selection is only personal choice,the storm scout case is a good case,i have a cm storm enforcer case,coolermaster are fine