Sign in with
Your question

Sale ended, build hosed. Help me fix it, please!

Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2012 7:10:10 PM

OK, I am close to ordering form newegg, had my system all ready to go;
CPU: Sandy Bridge-E 6 core 3.2ghz
Mobo: ASRock X79 Extreme6
Video: EVGA Geforce GTX 670 2gb
RAM: G.Skill Ares 16gb (4x4) ddr3 1600
OS Drive: Samsung 830 Sata III SSD
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint 1tb 7200
Raid: Caldidgit S2/VR HD 1.5tb (a carryover if I can make it work on win 7)
PSU: CM Silent Pro Hybrid 850w
Cooling: CoolerMaster H612 (H80 if its not enough)
BluRay: Pioneer Black Internal SATA
DVD: Asus DVD Burner
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper
Software: Adobe CS6 Production Student Teacher Edit

Problem is, sales ended (I even looked for sale end dates, must have missed the info) and the Storm Trooper-Silent Pro Hybrid PSU combo sale ended. It would have been 300 for both, now its back to 350. I've already pushed the budget on my build, and cant afford that extra 50, but I do need a strong 800+ PSU and full tower (for later components to be added, I know the current build doesn't need it) What do I do? Are there any deals going on elsewhere? Due to the two components I need, a combo deal would be great, and I'm liking the Storm Trooper the longer i look at it.
June 1, 2012 7:26:58 PM

Why do you need thatm uch of a PSU? YOu could easily power that with a 550w PSU of good quality (Seasonic, Antec, XFX, Corsair to name a few). Maybe 600w but dont need 850 at all.
m
l
June 1, 2012 7:40:29 PM

2nd vid card, and blackmagic sdi card will be in later. Combined with STRONG recommendations to be running as close to 50% pull for max efficiency of the PSU when doing my long render/encode sessions (5-12 hours not uncommon, 2 day is the max i've done)
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2012 7:42:19 PM

Can you supply links to your specific parts?
Here are some thoughts:

1) For gaming, a 6 core is not much helpful. If it is useful for your CS6 app, then very good.
2) The GTX670 only needs a 500w psu. Your psu costs can be cut in half.
3) Is there some feature of the motherboard that you need? I think you can do as well with a less expensive motherboard.
4) A simple $20 cooler like the cm hyper212 will do for all but the most extreme oc.
5) If you love the case, buy it. But... a perfectly functional case can cost you half that.
m
l
June 1, 2012 7:50:24 PM

dcmp said:
2nd vid card, and blackmagic sdi card will be in later. Combined with STRONG recommendations to be running as close to 50% pull for max efficiency of the PSU when doing my long render/encode sessions (5-12 hours not uncommon, 2 day is the max i've done)

I see.

Some more thoughts:

A GTX690 needs only a 650w psu. If your graphics upgrade plan was to sell the GTX670, and replace it with a GTX690, then you could start with a lesser psu. Perhaps 750w.
Or, if you really want 850W, then how about this PC P&C silencer 910W unit for $129?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As I understand it, render/encode can make good use of lots of ram.
Why not go to 32gb(4 x 8gb) up front?

Tell us about that blackmagic sdi card. I know nothing about it.
m
l
June 1, 2012 8:01:40 PM

The blackmagic card is a high end input/output conversion card for video editing. SDI feed will let me do airchecks for actors (pull a sat feed direct into computer at 10bit uncompressed, among other things). Problem is, i can't find power draw specs for it. I have been told by other editors that card can be a bit sensitive to power fluctuations.

I do want to hit the 32 gb of ram point soon, but I figure that's the fastest, easiest upgrade for me to do in a few months (when I'm finished paying off the computer :) )

I'll look into that power supply, and double check figures to see if i can't drop down to a 750 or so psu
m
l
June 1, 2012 8:07:01 PM

The easiest thing is to drop the SSD for now. I know it will impact CS6 somewhat, but you can buy it later without much impact on your current build.
m
l
June 1, 2012 8:10:59 PM

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.
A ram vendor will not be sympathetic if you have ram issues with disparate kits.
See if you can't find a way to get it all done at once.

If the blackmagic card fits in a motherboard slot, the maximum power draw will be the 75w that the slot can deliver.
I suspect it will be much less.
m
l
June 1, 2012 8:38:37 PM

AHHH, thanks for that info about ram. And power consumption.

@geofelt; sorry, I missed your post. In all honesty, I picked the motherboard due to recommendations from others, and the fact that it was bundled with the processor (-$35). I know I need usb3, 8 memory slots, support hyper-threading. The insane number of connection on that board were a nice ease-my-mind when I saw them (last PC I ran was severely limited in that dept).
And the case is only 150 right now, 20 or so more than the Phantom, HAF 932, or Overseer that i was looking at. Close enough to fit in that last build, may have to rethink it.

Thanks for your help guys! Newegg has delayed the gift card that was to pay for half of this, so looks like I've at least got the weekend to respec this machine. AGH! I was so close! soooo......

1.pick stable, cost effective 32gb RAM kit
2. take that money out of the PSU and case, maybe just drop my Blue-ray burner for a while.
m
l
June 1, 2012 8:39:54 PM

Taking money out of the PSU doesnt mean go cheap, just means go quality but with enough power so that it isnt overkill.
m
l
June 1, 2012 8:49:55 PM

WOW, that is cheap!
m
l
!