Sign in with
Your question

Help choose parts for a gaming system

Tags:
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2012 7:33:29 PM

Hi all,

Recently i have decided to build my own gaming pc. This is my first time building so i don't know much. I spent a lot of time reading about this but still have trouble choosing the parts.

Objective: - mostly gaming (not hard core gamer) but also some school work

Budget: - Max $500 but lower is preferred

I already have (from my previous pc):- 2 X 500GB hard disks, Monitor, keyboard + mouse

Problems: -
1. i have searched for AMD processor but could not find any shops that sell them. I have one more shop to check but i doubt they have it even if they do it is going to be only a few choices

2. MSI motherboard are not very common

So far i have manged to make a list of the following parts.

processor: - intel I5 2500k
motherboard: - P67 chipset of gigabyte, asus, msi
Graphics card: - PCI 1 gb nvidia GPU gigabyte, asus
ram: - Ripjaws-X F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL (2GB X2)
Optical drive: - any cheap dvd writer
Casing: - not determined (but as there is almost no variety that i can find here just mention around how much and if possible what to look for)
Powersupply: - not determined

but this passes my $500 budget

Also comment: -
1. Not really sure about buying online because of issue in returning in case of malfunction (If possible please comment if it wise to buy online)

2. Also i was wondering if i need quad core, i have read a lot saying that it is important for gaming and my friends said its better but without AMD quad core not really sure if i can afford it with the budget

3. I do not plan on over clocking as i am not really sure if i can do it without pushing to much.

Sorry for the very long message just wanted to give all detail i thought relevant

PS: - Forgot to mention that i live in Sri lanka in case it is important

More about : choose parts gaming system

June 1, 2012 7:45:45 PM

Hi there, do u live near Microcenter?
m
l
June 1, 2012 7:48:20 PM

Newegg is a great online retailer. They are really good with handling returns if there is a problem, and there are rarely problems. Also the have low prices
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2012 7:55:42 PM

Quote:
Hi there, do u live near Microcenter?

no i live in sri lanka

Quote:
Newegg is a great online retailer. They are really good with handling returns if there is a problem, and there are rarely problems. Also the have low prices

problem is as a i live in sri lanka it would take a lot of time for shipping as USA on the other end of the world. And couldn't there be a large chance for damaging during long shipping periods?
m
l
June 1, 2012 8:38:59 PM

They don't ship outside of USA.

m
l
June 1, 2012 8:39:13 PM

Post your store link.
m
l
June 11, 2012 5:55:02 PM

Thank you to everyone that read and replied. i have built my final specs