Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will AMD Bulldozers work with my GIGABYTE 790FXTA-UD5 motherboard?

Last response: in CPUs
September 27, 2012 6:24:39 PM

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to hopefully upgrade my PC's CPU to the "new" line of Bulldozer CPUs by AMD. Right now I'm running a AMD Phenom II x4 3.4 GHz 965 Black Edition processor that uses the AM3 socket on my GIGABYTE 790FXTA-UD5 motherboard. Unfortunately for me, the Bulldozer CPUs required the AM3+ socket. I head somewhere that you could use a Bulldozer CPU in an AM3 socket with a motherboard BIOs flash, but I'm not sure if my board would support it.

So I guess my main question is: Can I upgrade my CPU to a Bulldozer CPU without upgrading my motherboard?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Best solution

September 27, 2012 7:35:57 PM

Thirt33n said:
Hi everybody,

I'm looking to hopefully upgrade my PC's CPU to the "new" line of Bulldozer CPUs by AMD. Right now I'm running a AMD Phenom II x4 3.4 GHz 965 Black Edition processor that uses the AM3 socket on my GIGABYTE 790FXTA-UD5 motherboard. Unfortunately for me, the Bulldozer CPUs required the AM3+ socket. I head somewhere that you could use a Bulldozer CPU in an AM3 socket with a motherboard BIOs flash, but I'm not sure if my board would support it.

So I guess my main question is: Can I upgrade my CPU to a Bulldozer CPU without upgrading my motherboard?

Any help is highly appreciated!

I'd hate to say it, but most likely no. According to http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=... the latest BIOS F3J was released in 2010/10/15. I 'm disinclined to think that your m/b would support either the Bulldozer/Piledriver processor unless a BIOS update is released for it. What you heard is right, as an AM3+ processor would physically fit the AM3 socket but it would be constrained by the BIOS being able to recognise it. ASUS and Gigabyte had released an update for their boards but unfortunately it seems that your particular model isn't supported.

PS: I do hope I'm wrong and that there's more hope left but coming from a similar position with an AM3 board but no BIOS update for AM3+ processors, I can sympathise with your predicament. What's worse, I'm vendor locked to just 7 official options and even further limited to a 95W TDP processor.

Good luck.
a b à CPUs
a c 125 V Motherboard
September 27, 2012 7:54:22 PM

Short answer is no, you're out of luck. There is no way a bulldozer CPU will work with that motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2012 9:30:25 PM

Besides, an FX would be downgrade from your 965.
m
l
a c 174 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
September 27, 2012 10:48:18 PM

The only am3 socket motherboards to support am3+ are the 890fx like the crosshair IV or same chipset motherboards
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2012 10:58:56 PM

obsama1 said:
Besides, an FX would be downgrade from your 965.

Second, besides a few applications (none of which are games) the Phenoms II's will out perform the bulldozers. Then take into account you have one of the better Phenom II's and it's really not worth the money.
m
l
September 28, 2012 3:44:13 AM

Best answer selected by Thirt33n.
m
l
September 28, 2012 3:50:17 AM

mace200200 said:
Second, besides a few applications (none of which are games) the Phenoms II's will out perform the bulldozers. Then take into account you have one of the better Phenom II's and it's really not worth the money.

Hmm, that's good to know. I guess my only real upgrade option then is the Phenom II x6's...if only the Phenom II series had an octo-core. :/ 

Thank you everyone for your help.
m
l
!