Problems with Nokia 6600 - please help

Last response: in Brands
June 5, 2004 6:19:54 PM

I have a Nokia 6600 mobile phone and I have some problems that I hope you
can help me with.

I have created my contacts and for some contacts I have a mobile number and
a home number entered. Whenever someone rings from their
mobile phone their name appears in my phone display.
However, when they ring from their home phone (which has been entered in
their contact detail along with their mobile number) instead of
their name appearing in my phone display their telephone number does.
Why does it show their telephone number instead of their name like it does
when they ring from their mobile?

Also I have a problem with ringtones.
If I assign a ringtone that I download (a MIDI file) to a contact it will
not play that ringtone, instead it plays the default ringtone.
However, if I go into File Manager and select the file downloaded (a MIDI
file) it plays if correctly.
I was told I need to change the ringtone (MIDI) file to 4-8 channels, but if
this was the case would the file still play in File Manager?
Why can't I get it to play a download ringtone which I have assigned to a
contact?

Finally someone told me that I can change the number of channels in a
ringtone file in Nokia Data Suite but I have no idea how to do this.
I have a number of icons on the left hand side of the screen like
backup/restore etc but I cannot see anything concerning channels.
How exactly do I change the number of settings in a file?
Alternatively do you know of any other free software that will enable me to
change the number of channels in a ringtone file easily?

I apologise for all the questions and I hope you can help me.

Any help or information will be gratefully received.

Thanks!

More about : problems nokia 6600

Anonymous
June 6, 2004 3:21:21 PM

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 14:19:54 +0100, "Neil Hindry"
<n_nospam_hindry@_nospam_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have created my contacts and for some contacts I have a mobile number and
>a home number entered. Whenever someone rings from their
>mobile phone their name appears in my phone display.
>However, when they ring from their home phone (which has been entered in
>their contact detail along with their mobile number) instead of
>their name appearing in my phone display their telephone number does.
>Why does it show their telephone number instead of their name like it does
>when they ring from their mobile?

Here is a suggestion...

I found that when certain people called me from their mobile, the
number was being displayed rather than the name - much the same as
your problem.

I tracked it down to the fact that I had stored their number twice in
the phone under two different contacts, so for example I had two
contact cards for Hindry but both contained one number which was the
same.

For example:

Neil Hindry MOB
Mobile
07734 123 456

Neil Hindry HOME
Tel (home)
0171 123 456
Mobile
07734 123 456

Then, if you called me from your mobile, my phone would get confused
and just display the number, because the 6600 doesn't know that Neil
Hindry MOB and Neil Hindry HOME are really the same person.

(The reason I stored numbers this way is just because it is a legacy
data set from many cell phones ago and to re-edit all of my contacts
is about a 10 hour task).

I don't know if that is the problem with yours - but it may be worth
checking to make sure you only have each number stored once for each
of your contacts.

>Finally someone told me that I can change the number of channels in a
>ringtone file in Nokia Data Suite but I have no idea how to do this.

AFAIK Nokia Data Suite doesn't let you change channels in a MIDI file.
Data Suite is pretty limited as far as phone management is concerned
IMHO. I can't even see that it allows you to edit the address book.
Sure, you can import contacts from Outlook etc - but you can't
actually edit them on the phone itself. It is certainly not as good
as the old 6110 data suite in this respect.

>How exactly do I change the number of settings in a file?
>Alternatively do you know of any other free software that will enable me to
>change the number of channels in a ringtone file easily?

To be honest, I am not a musician. I think there are 16 midi channels
in all? If it will play on the phone but will not play as a ringtone
then I really can't see why but I suppose someone more knowledgeable
than me can answer that one for you.

I have managed to get MP3's to play as ringtones with no problem, so
long as the MP3 file is sent to the correct folder in the 6600 (sound
clips / digital sounds).

I made a subfolder within the digital sounds folder e.g. "pop music" -
but the 6600 does not give me the option of going into a subfolder of
digital sounds to see those "pop music" files as ringtones :-(

Hope this helps and I'm sorry I can't help you more with the MIDI
stuff.

Casper.
June 7, 2004 1:02:38 AM

Neil Hindry wrote:
> Why does it show their telephone number instead of their name like it does
> when they ring from their mobile?

Could be one of 2 things,
A, as Casper has already said, the number stored twice.
B, try putting the +44 at the start of the number (make sure you delete the first 0)
eg, 077123456789 to +4477123456789

One of the above should work.

> Also I have a problem with ringtones.

Make sure the midi file is in the phone memory in sounds/digital sounds.

THE BLACKPANTHER
Related resources
June 9, 2004 5:36:14 AM

The folders on the phone are a bit misleading. Anything you want to use for
a ringtone has to be stored in the Digital Sounds folder (as opposed to the
Tones folder). You don't need to alter the MIDI file in any way as the 6600
has full channel capability.

"Neil Hindry" <n_nospam_hindry@_nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a Nokia 6600 mobile phone and I have some problems that I hope you
> can help me with.
>
> I have created my contacts and for some contacts I have a mobile number
and
> a home number entered. Whenever someone rings from their
> mobile phone their name appears in my phone display.
> However, when they ring from their home phone (which has been entered in
> their contact detail along with their mobile number) instead of
> their name appearing in my phone display their telephone number does.
> Why does it show their telephone number instead of their name like it does
> when they ring from their mobile?
>
> Also I have a problem with ringtones.
> If I assign a ringtone that I download (a MIDI file) to a contact it will
> not play that ringtone, instead it plays the default ringtone.
> However, if I go into File Manager and select the file downloaded (a MIDI
> file) it plays if correctly.
> I was told I need to change the ringtone (MIDI) file to 4-8 channels, but
if
> this was the case would the file still play in File Manager?
> Why can't I get it to play a download ringtone which I have assigned to a
> contact?
>
> Finally someone told me that I can change the number of channels in a
> ringtone file in Nokia Data Suite but I have no idea how to do this.
> I have a number of icons on the left hand side of the screen like
> backup/restore etc but I cannot see anything concerning channels.
> How exactly do I change the number of settings in a file?
> Alternatively do you know of any other free software that will enable me
> change the number of channels in a ringtone file easily?
>
> I apologise for all the questions and I hope you can help me.
>
> Any help or information will be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
June 9, 2004 3:55:56 PM

I can't believe I was so stupid.

It made sense to me so I put the ringtones in the Tones folder. As soon as I
moved them to the Digital Sounds folder it worked fine.

Why do they have a folder called Tones if it is not supposed to contain
ring-tones?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Thanks!

!