Help diagnosing computer problem?

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hey my parents had a fairly new computer that bsoded on them and just stopped working. They got a new one and I got the scraps. I am trying to repair it, but now I dont get any type of bios screen or anything on boot. I have replaced the hdd, which was what was initially the problem and I am still getting nothing on screen. The psu works fine as far as I can tell. Everything lights up and all of the fans run, but I do not get anything on my display. Is the board shot or is there a way I can diagnose this? Thanks.

Hi,

Does the monitor get any display? Any BIOS messages ?

Does the machine make any beep codes ? (google beep codes)

Standard debugging is to pull parts until the machine can POST (power on self test) then add back parts until you find the one that kept the machine from posting. This means detach everything from the pc. The only wire going in should be the power cord. Does the PC beep? YES -- lookup the beep code in the manual. NO -- pull some more parts. Unplug, Open the case and remove all the PCI cards. Plug back in -- does it POST? no- unplug, pull memory, plugin power up... does it post? Eventually you find the problem or get down to just CPU, MD and power supply. Tehn you swap power suplpy first, MB second. It's never the CPU.

Here is a ref: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

good luck.

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I dont have one of the little sound things on my board so I guess beeps are out of the question :(. I thought I had one in my desktop but I must have taken it out at some point :(. I guess if I find it I will get back to you. Any other suggestions?

And yes when I turn it on the screen just stays black and says no signal.

TRENDING THREADS