Is it my monitor or my gpu?

Last week after the bf3 update I started to notice that when joining the game the game would move 3x faster than normal. Not only that but there were white horizontal lines appearing randomly all over the screen. Naturally i blamed it on the patch. But ever since I have started to notice that sometimes while not playing games there appears a black line about 1/4 from the bottom of the screen. Yesterday, I started playing cc again . A game that isn't all that great on graphics and everything ran just fine for a while but after my 3rd round or so i got the speeding error along with the horizontal white lines. I didn't want to leave the game so I just alt+ tabbed it and somehow that fixed it. That however doesn't fix it on bf3.

Anyways, the card is a 7950 and the monitor is some asus with 3d capabilities and 120 refresh rate. idk which one of the 2 is the problem.
17 answers Last reply
More about monitor
  1. Easy to find out which is the cause, try the monitor with another PC. If it does the same thing, it's the monitor.

It's probably the card though, try either upgrading or downgrading the drivers. If you have it overclocked at all, try it as stock speeds. Or possibly even UNder clock it a bit.
  2. xtremeclowny said:
    Last week after the bf3 update I started to notice that when joining the game the game would move 3x faster than normal. Not only that but there were white horizontal lines appearing randomly all over the screen. Naturally i blamed it on the patch. But ever since I have started to notice that sometimes while not playing games there appears a black line about 1/4 from the bottom of the screen. Yesterday, I started playing cc again . A game that isn't all that great on graphics and everything ran just fine for a while but after my 3rd round or so i got the speeding error along with the horizontal white lines. I didn't want to leave the game so I just alt+ tabbed it and somehow that fixed it. That however doesn't fix it on bf3.

Anyways, the card is a 7950 and the monitor is some asus with 3d capabilities and 120 refresh rate. idk which one of the 2 is the problem.

Do you have the latest driver installed? 12.3 whql catalyst just came out:

64 bit version for win 7 and vista: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

32 bit version for win 7 and vista: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx
  3. Yes, my drivers should be up to date. I keep on checking on the catalyst updater and it is that they are up to date. or do I still have to download them off the site? I could try the monitor on another pc but the problem doesn't occurr very often so it would take a while to find out.

So, I just got off playing bc2 single player and my graphics started to look a bit blurry. I'm starting to think that it is the gpu. My question now is, if the problem is the gpu is it a hardware or a software issue? Had the pc for a week before the bf3 update and I didn't notice such issues. Any ideas?
  4. Could be coincidence that it happened when you got the update. An update in one game should not have caused any issues anywhere else though. Try an older driver version, or uninstall BF3 and see if that fixes things.
  5. According to catalyst this is my version. 2011.1202.2231.40334. I have no clue of how to make sense out of it.
  6. Swap monitors and the result explains it.
  7. hang-the-9 said:
    Could be coincidence that it happened when you got the update. An update in one game should not have caused any issues anywhere else though. Try an older driver version, or uninstall BF3 and see if that fixes things.

Yeah, ik. Usually i wouldn't mind uninstalling and reinstalling bf3 but my new net stinks. Took me nearly 5 days to download the game. I'm okay with using older drivers but first I want to make sure that I do have the latest drivers. My catalyst says that I'm up do date but idk if i can trust it.
  8. Hmmm, ok, I will try my old monitor on this pc.
  9. xtremeclowny said:
    According to catalyst this is my version. 2011.1202.2231.40334. I have no clue of how to make sense out of it.

Download the latest driver from the support.amd.com site. Then run the following program (Driver Sweeper) and use it to delete your current AMD drivers:

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

Restart your system and run the AMD driver software you downloaded, then restart again.

I don't know the numbers that you linked, but the current Catalyst version is 12.3. Those numbers you linked make it look like they're from 2011.

EDIT: Yes, I just looked them up. I believe that's an old driver version.
  10. I see. So my catalyst can not be trusted uh? Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Wait, whenever I delete my old drivers my monitor goes offline and i'm forced to used the restart buttong to boot up. Once the pc boots up the drives are already installed. How do I go about deleting the drives without losing my viewing abilities?
  11. ringzero said:
    Download the latest driver from the support.amd.com site. Then run the following program (Driver Sweeper) and use it to delete your current AMD drivers:

Restart your system and run the AMD driver software you downloaded, then restart again.

I don't know the numbers that you linked, but the current Catalyst version is 12.3. Those numbers you linked make it look like they're from 2011.

Yeah, i did some research regarding the drives and the numbers shown int he catalyst center and it seemed as if they were old. But my catalyst insists that I'm up to date so i decided to let it go. Thanks for the info.

any idea of how to fix the issue described on my previous post?
  12. xtremeclowny said:
    I see. So my catalyst can not be trusted uh? Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Wait, whenever I delete my old drivers my monitor goes offline and i'm forced to used the restart buttong to boot up. Once the pc boots up the drives are already installed. How do I go about deleting the drives without losing my viewing abilities?

Yes, you will be forced to restart after cleaning out the drivers. As long as you're using Driver Sweeper, it's fine if you see drivers already installed after restart. Just install the new drivers you downloaded from the AMD support site.
  13. Cool, thanks!
  14. ringzero said:

I finally had the chance to do it. The catalyst looks way different and the catalyst command center is now 2012.0309.43.976. And the catalyst version is 12.3. It says so on the command center. Thanks for helping me figure out that I was out of date. I'll test the new drivers for a while and will be back to report the good/bad news as soon as i have them.

Once again, thanks for the help sofar.
  15. So, I upgraded my gpu drivers and my game sort of feels the same. Anyways, I'm starting to think that the blur is due to the game effects. I'll just ask around the bf3 forum and see what I can find out. That sort of rules out the gpu as a problem but I still get the random hairlike scratches on the monitor. It really is not a big deal since it doesn't happen very often therefore I was thinking about waiting and sending it back for a replacement once things get worse. Although there is one thing that is sort of bugging me. Everynow and then after playing bf3 for a long time 3-5 hours I notice that my game starts to blur a whole lot more often. Idk, if it is due to the supression effects ( at the time I'm usually in crowded 38+ servers and there is a lot of chaos going around) or if it is due to the monitor becoming lazy and stuff. I don't want to call for a replacement atm because I sort of got it nearly a month ago and i don't have a job atm therefore I may not be able to afford the shipping and whatever other expence they shoot my way. Also, i got rid of the boxes, etc. a long time ago. Idk, if I will be needing that.
  16. This is why no AMD for me :)
  17. Yeah, i tend to prefer nvidia as well but I got a taste of radeon with a mb i bought earlier this year and wanted to see what a real amd gpu would be able to do. But yeah, it is not too bad.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Battlefield Games Graphics