I need to purchase a PC with the specs:

32gb 1600 ram
256 tb ssd primary
2tb secondary
2tb secondary
GTX 680 4GB
i7-3930k
bit-flow frame grabber

My company requests that I purchase this through HP, however they only offer a limited power supply of 600W with this configuration. You can get more power by moving up to the workstations, however they only offer Xeon processors and for what I need, the cost becomes prohibitive. So my question is: will the configuration outlined above work ok with a 600W power supply? I know the specs for the GTX 680 says at least 550W, wo I'm not sure what that leaves for the other components...

Thanks,

Jim

The GTX680 itself will only consume around 300w of power, as long as HP uses a decent quality 600w PSU, I don't think you would run into any issues. The 3930k itself will use around 130w, which leaves you a total power consumption of roughly 430w.

Keep in mind, however, that your CPU+GPU will ONLY consume ~430w power combined if you're constantly keeping them at 100% load.

Since this is a pre-built, I doubt OP can do any overclocking, thus, leaving me to the conclusion that he shouldn't worry too much. His other components should only use up around ~50-100w max.

jemm

Distinguished
600W is more then enough for this system -- what is strange to me is a company asking to order a CPU with overclock abilities, apart from the 32 GB 1600 MHz ram, and the GTX 680 4GB.

What kinda company is it?

:lol: My same thoughts.

:lol: was wondering the same thing myself

jemm

Distinguished

Well...will HP let its costumers going overclock by letting them changing the Bios, or will it come with pre-overclock settings?

Definitely not :lol: overclocking is besides the point when it comes to the 3930k IMO. If someone is investing money in a 6 core and wants something cheaper than a Xeon, then the 3930k is probably the only option HP has.

TRENDING THREADS