Sign in with
Your question

Toshiba laptop shuts off on battery power

Last response: in Components
September 27, 2012 9:10:44 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite L650 which shuts off alomost immediately after uplugging the AC power cord. This condition started happening about a month or so ago. I have since bought two new batteries and a new AC power cord but it still keeps shutting off. The batteries are charging and the display syas they are up to 100%. When I unplug the cord the level drops down to 97% after 30 seconds then the fan kicks in for a couple of seconds and then it shuts off. I have updated the BIOS, tried holding down the powe button for 30 seconds with both the battery and power cord disconnected, checked the power management settings but nothing seems to help. Is there any advice out there??? THANKS!!!
September 27, 2012 9:15:55 PM

And here I was, all set to tell you you had a bad battery.

Given the troubleshooting you've already done, the only possibility left really is that the motherboard is bad. So if the unit is under warranty, now would be an excellent time to make a claim.
m
l
September 27, 2012 9:21:15 PM

Unfortunately, it is almost 2 years old and out of warranty. I guess I'll just have to keep it plugged in all the time.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2012 10:00:11 PM

Hi :) 

I own a laptop repair company...

You say you have bought two NEW batteries....

BRAND NEW expensive batteries ? Or cheap Ebay Chinese copies that only work around 10% of the time ??

How much PRECISELY did you pay for those batteries ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
September 27, 2012 11:50:30 PM

One battery was purchased from eBay (roughly $30) and the other was purchased from www.battdepot.com ($40).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 28, 2012 12:26:02 AM

MikeT181 said:
One battery was purchased from eBay (roughly $30) and the other was purchased from www.battdepot.com ($40).

Lol...thought so...you REALLY expect a $30 battery to work....thats hopeful :) 

Try a GOOD battery....

m
l
September 28, 2012 12:45:45 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Lol...thought so...you REALLY expect a $30 battery to work....thats hopeful :) 

Try a GOOD battery....

Whom would you suggest buying a battery from??
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 28, 2012 1:05:08 AM

MikeT181 said:
Whom would you suggest buying a battery from??

I am in the UK, so cannot answer for the US....

But owning a laptop repair company, we buy a LOT of batteries and NEVER EVER buy those cheap Chinese imports...we usually pay around £50 or $80 MINIMUM for ours...and thats a Trade price...

With lappy batteries you really do get what you pay for...

m
l
September 28, 2012 10:41:45 AM

Hi Brett:

If you think the battery is the problem then why would the PC Health Monitor say that the battery is good and when I unplug the AC cord it very slowly drains from 100% to 99% to 98% to 97% over a two minute period (tops), the cursor would freeze, the fan would kick on and then the laptop shuts off.

If in fact both batteries are bad why wouldnt it drain rapidly from 100% down to a critical level before shutting off? THANKS!!!
m
l
!