Fan controller on Nvidia 9600GTX not working?

Lonelyorange

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
So i've had this card for about 2 years now, and i love it! It packs a pretty decent punch!
Last night i cleaned out the dust and took off the heatsink to put on new thermal paste, and now when i've got it all put back together the fan won't turn on. Here's the kicker though, the fan itself works fine (i've got a 9v battery on it right now so the card doesn't fry while i type this out). When i put a voltmeter on the two leads from the card itself, it reads nothing. Is there something wrong with the controller? Did i damage something when i had it out? Everything else seems to work just fine, so i'm really confused, and any advise is welcome!

Solution
Is it a 9800GTX or a 9600GT? It the fan header on the card is bad oops I would recommend using one of your spare molex or sata power leads to power this instead of the 9 volt. Yellow is 12 volt read is 5 volt.. You can use the 12 and put fan controller on it to keep it from running max all the time..

Thent
Is it a 9800GTX or a 9600GT? It the fan header on the card is bad oops I would recommend using one of your spare molex or sata power leads to power this instead of the 9 volt. Yellow is 12 volt read is 5 volt.. You can use the 12 and put fan controller on it to keep it from running max all the time..

Thent

Solution

Lonelyorange

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
That's a really good idea while i figure out some other way to run it (this might be the day i upgrade to another card). Thank you Thently!

I still wish i knew what i did! It seems so odd that everything else works fine but the fan...

petrifiedwood

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Go to services and make sure Com+ Event System and System Event Notification are running. These were turned off on my machine by other tweaking software. After these were enabled then Nvidia Performance Device Rules worked fine with a step less fan control.