Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia kernel mode driver stopped responding

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 2, 2012 8:39:54 PM

Hello all,

So I've been experiencing the "nvidia kernel mode driver stopped responding" crash for the past couple of weeks now and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on it? I have a 560Ti 448-Core @ stock speeds that has ran driver versions 290.36, 290.53, 295.73, and currently 296.10 and all had this crash. Its most noticeable in BF3 after an hour or so. Temps top out around 73ºC.

My rig:
Phenom II X4 975 @ 4.0 @ stock voltage
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard
GTX 560Ti 448-Core
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W

Im wondering if maybe my PSU might not be up to the challenge? Man, sometimes when it crashes and if I have skype open, my computer emits this horrendous screeching noise as it locks up and all of my visuals get really messed up. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 7:58:11 AM

What manufacturer is the card from? Gigabyte recently had a defective batch that had this problem, I bought a gtx 560 and the drivers kept on crashing. The card did this on other systems too. I returned it and bought an Asus and everything is better now. The problem seemed to be in the card itself, if it was the PSU's fault, your whole system would restart.
Score
April 4, 2012 12:24:45 PM

auntarie said:
What manufacturer is the card from? Gigabyte recently had a defective batch that had this problem, I bought a gtx 560 and the drivers kept on crashing. The card did this on other systems too. I returned it and bought an Asus and everything is better now. The problem seemed to be in the card itself, if it was the PSU's fault, your whole system would restart.

I have the MSI Twin Frozr III PE, and true about the PSU... I'm just confused at this point. I haven't heard of this happening before so I'm not entirely sure where to even begin aside from trying different driver versions.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2012 4:27:00 PM

Different drivers probably won't work. Usually if the latest don't work, none do. The only other thing I can think of is a compatibility issue. Can you try the card on a different system? If it still doesn't work, then it's the card. If it does, then it's one of your other components and you'll have to find out which one.
Score
Related resources
!