Freezing, BSOD, and then Hanging

Xristo

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Hey all,

First off, thank you for taking the time to answer all these problems. Very selfless of you.

BLUF: My computer will randomly freeze, BSOD, and then hand during POST boot at Auto-Detecting SATA Port 1.

This just started yesterday. I was playing some Guild Wars 2 and out of nowhere the game froze. Upon rebooting the computer, it hung at "Auto-Detecting SATA Port 1." Once it finally (about 20-30 seconds or so) passed this point it would BSOD during the Windows loading screen (exactly at the same point every time). I am currently typing on the same computer because I found a way to get back into Windows 7. I let the computer do the "Launch Setup Repair" option during boot and after not being able to detect any fixable problems, the computer would reboot and pass through the Auto-Detecting SATA PORT 1 with no problems. After being up for 20-30 minutes, it all happens again (i.e. game freezes or another sign is losing all my icons on my desktop). A CTRL-ALT-DEL just gives me a black screen with my mouse cursor still moving. This problem does not appear to be game related because it will happen while sitting idle. So if it happens as I type, I know exactly what will happen: Freeze, BSOD, reboot, hang at auto-detect, BSOD at Windows load (a specific spot), reboot, hang at auto-detect, I select "Launch Setup Repair" (because Start Windows Normally option gives a BSOD), reboot, boots just fine into Windows. It's a predictable but weird cycle. Does this sound like a Motherboard problem? An SSD problem? Memory problem? or maybe just a Windows problem? Normally, I would think it was possibly a windows problem but the hanging at boot on Auto-detecting SATA PORT 1 confuses me.

I have done the following so far:
- changed my SATA cable to my SSD
- switched my SSD with my old HDD with same results
- flashed mobo to most current BIOS

If I rambled, I apologize. It's like trying to describe all the steps to making a PB&J...much harder to type than to talk and I am also typing fast before it freezes again lol. Thank you for any help in advance.

My specs:
Case: CM HAF 932
CPU: Core I7-920
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
GPU: eVGA 580GTX
Mem: 3x2gb OCZ 1600
PSU: Corsair 750TX (750w)
SSD: Crucial M4 256gb

V/R
Ariakys

Xristo

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
I might add that when I got my SSD, back in December, i never formatted my HDD with Windows on it. I just pushed it over as a secondary and installed Windows 7 on my SSD. Lazy, I know. I did it just in case I had issues with the SSD. I say this because I thought it would ok just to switch my older HDD back in since it never had a format, using it's copy of W7. I assumed (yah I know what that does lol) that it would work. This is the first time I have any problems. It is just hard to pinpoint the exact component issue. :/

Xristo

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Now that is weird. Just as I read your comment, the computer froze up. While it was off, I disconnected (from SATA PORT 5) my secondary HDD. The computer did not get hung on SATA PORT 1 and booted normal. Coincidence? Btw, thank you for taking the time and responding, regardless of the outcome. :)

That's an excellent idea and it won't "confuse" windows. In fact, I wouldn't do it any other way and done over 2ndozen builds this way....provided of course that the HD data cable was unplugged while you installed Windows on the SSD.

I would set it up with the SSD on SATA ) and the HD on SATA 1.

Xristo

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Everything is running smooth. I let the computer run all night and woke up to a pleasant surprise. Looks like the firmware was the fix! Again, thank you to all who replied! I cannot stress enough how much I appreciate it! I hope this thread helps anybody else who runs into a similar issue. Cheers! :)