Freezing, BSOD, and then Hanging

Hey all,

First off, thank you for taking the time to answer all these problems. Very selfless of you.

BLUF: My computer will randomly freeze, BSOD, and then hand during POST boot at Auto-Detecting SATA Port 1.

This just started yesterday. I was playing some Guild Wars 2 and out of nowhere the game froze. Upon rebooting the computer, it hung at "Auto-Detecting SATA Port 1." Once it finally (about 20-30 seconds or so) passed this point it would BSOD during the Windows loading screen (exactly at the same point every time). I am currently typing on the same computer because I found a way to get back into Windows 7. I let the computer do the "Launch Setup Repair" option during boot and after not being able to detect any fixable problems, the computer would reboot and pass through the Auto-Detecting SATA PORT 1 with no problems. After being up for 20-30 minutes, it all happens again (i.e. game freezes or another sign is losing all my icons on my desktop). A CTRL-ALT-DEL just gives me a black screen with my mouse cursor still moving. This problem does not appear to be game related because it will happen while sitting idle. So if it happens as I type, I know exactly what will happen: Freeze, BSOD, reboot, hang at auto-detect, BSOD at Windows load (a specific spot), reboot, hang at auto-detect, I select "Launch Setup Repair" (because Start Windows Normally option gives a BSOD), reboot, boots just fine into Windows. It's a predictable but weird cycle. Does this sound like a Motherboard problem? An SSD problem? Memory problem? or maybe just a Windows problem? Normally, I would think it was possibly a windows problem but the hanging at boot on Auto-detecting SATA PORT 1 confuses me.

I have done the following so far:
- changed my SATA cable to my SSD
- switched my SSD with my old HDD with same results
- flashed mobo to most current BIOS

If I rambled, I apologize. It's like trying to describe all the steps to making a PB&J...much harder to type than to talk and I am also typing fast before it freezes again lol. Thank you for any help in advance.

My specs:
Case: CM HAF 932
CPU: Core I7-920
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
GPU: eVGA 580GTX
Mem: 3x2gb OCZ 1600
PSU: Corsair 750TX (750w)
SSD: Crucial M4 256gb

V/R
Ariakys
14 answers Last reply
More about freezing bsod hanging
  1. How did you set up the SSD and your HDD?
  2. My SSD is my primary and is setup in AHCI. Is that what you are asking? I apologize for any ignorance.
  3. I might add that when I got my SSD, back in December, i never formatted my HDD with Windows on it. I just pushed it over as a secondary and installed Windows 7 on my SSD. Lazy, I know. I did it just in case I had issues with the SSD. I say this because I thought it would ok just to switch my older HDD back in since it never had a format, using it's copy of W7. I assumed (yah I know what that does lol) that it would work. This is the first time I have any problems. It is just hard to pinpoint the exact component issue. :/
  4. Can you start it up with just the SSD, and having the HDD cables disconnected?
  5. Now that is weird. Just as I read your comment, the computer froze up. While it was off, I disconnected (from SATA PORT 5) my secondary HDD. The computer did not get hung on SATA PORT 1 and booted normal. Coincidence? Btw, thank you for taking the time and responding, regardless of the outcome. :)
  6. I have OS in both SSD and HDD and it just work fine -- SSD is set as my primary boot device, and HDD is just for storage, but it has an OS too.
  7. So, I am trying something I don't know why I never tried. Just putting my SSD on another SATA Port and leaving the port empty. We'll see...
  8. So it started hanging on SATA Port 5....i have a bad feeling about my SSD

Just updated the firmware on my Crucial M4 256gb...I'm reaching here... :P
  9. After a few hours of gaming, the update to the SSD's firmware might of done the trick. I will let you all know in the morning.
  10. Xristo said:
    I might add that when I got my SSD, back in December, i never formatted my HDD with Windows on it. I just pushed it over as a secondary and installed Windows 7 on my SSD. Lazy, I know. I did it just in case I had issues with the SSD. I say this because I thought it would ok just to switch my older HDD back in since it never had a format, using it's copy of W7. I assumed (yah I know what that does lol) that it would work. This is the first time I have any problems. It is just hard to pinpoint the exact component issue. :/

That's an excellent idea and it won't "confuse" windows. In fact, I wouldn't do it any other way and done over 2ndozen builds this way....provided of course that the HD data cable was unplugged while you installed Windows on the SSD.

I would set it up with the SSD on SATA ) and the HD on SATA 1.
  11. Everything is running smooth. I let the computer run all night and woke up to a pleasant surprise. Looks like the firmware was the fix! Again, thank you to all who replied! I cannot stress enough how much I appreciate it! I hope this thread helps anybody else who runs into a similar issue. Cheers! :)
  12. As a general rule: If you are experiencing BSOD's when using a SSD, upgrade the firmware.
  13. I have exactly the same probleem, and the same HW. I have also suspected the M4. But I already have the latest FW.
    So what is the status for you?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Blue Screen Computers