Sign in with
Your question

Do you think the Personal Computer is dying?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2012 11:21:33 PM

There is growing debate whether the PC is dying or is dead...meaning obsolete.

Here is the thing, the PC is still here though.

Let us look at what the 'PC' means:

PC: Personal Computer-

-Personal: of the person, singular, unified to the body.
-Computer: A device that is a quintessential function machine that takes an input, and produces and output based on rules, or instructions.

So, the PC by definition is:

A computational device that takes an input and produces and output for the individual user and their needs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do YOU think the PC is dying/is dead?
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2012 11:46:31 PM

Hi :) 

No...end of thread...lol

All the best Brett :) 
September 27, 2012 11:55:46 PM

Not at all, I believe its just as popular if not more popular than ever with the rise of the tablet PC and gaming. How do you think games get made? With chalk and pencils? There will always be a use for PC's especially with the rise of technology and the many uses for them these days look at Rasberry Pi's for example, those are PC's are they not?
Related resources
September 28, 2012 12:09:45 AM

With that definition, no. But that's not what people mean when they casually refer to 'the PC;' they are referring to desktop computers.

Desktop computers are going the way of digital cameras. Point and shoots are dying because they were satisfying demand from the casual market, now filled by smartphones. DSLR's however are doing fantastic, because enthusiasts will always want a quality, top of the line machine. Larger cameras are still, and will be for the forseeable future, necessary for professionals.

With desktop PCs, I imagine it will be the same. You won't go to Best Buy (if it survives another few years) and see aisles of desktops. They will disappear with the rise of portable computing power. But specialty computer stores online (like newegg) and offline will still be around satisfy the enthusiast / professional market.
a c 109 à CPUs
September 28, 2012 12:13:49 AM

theicon86 said:
With that definition, no. But that's not what people mean when they casually refer to 'the PC;' they are referring to desktop computers.

Desktop computers are going the way of digital cameras. Point and shoots are dying because they were satisfying demand from the casual market, now filled by smartphones. DSLR's however are doing fantastic, because enthusiasts will always want a quality, top of the line machine. Larger cameras are still, and will be for the forseeable future, necessary for professionals.

With desktop PCs, I imagine it will be the same. You won't go to Best Buy (if it survives another few years) and see aisles of desktops. They will disappear with the rise of portable computing power. But specialty computer stores online (like newegg) and offline will still be around satisfy the enthusiast / professional market.

+1...

I know for certain I won't give up my rig for some kind of portable device. I love to tinker with things and put things together by myself, not purchasing something off the shelf.

However, for someone like my mother, I definitely know that something like a tablet would be MORE than sufficient.
a c 478 à CPUs
September 28, 2012 5:45:10 AM

There will always be a market for PCs, however, the desktop PCs is loosing market share due to mobile computing. This includes both laptops and tablets (iPads, Androids, upcoming Win 8). Of course raw CPU power in mobile devices is not a much as in a desktop system.

Which device best fits the general consumer needs depends on... the specific consumer's needs. So if you want a powerful gaming machine, then it's a desktop. If you want a single device that can play PC games and is portable, then you want a gaming laptop which costs more than a gaming PC. Need something more mobile, but you don't care about playing PC games, then a tablet is likely for you. Want something really small so that you can jump on the internet, read books, and watch videos and listen to music... then maybe a simple smartphone is good enough for you.
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2012 7:21:55 AM

There will always be the need for that desktop + chair + desk + standard mouse + keyboard setup. Laptops,mobile devices, tablets etc may be portable but they do not necessarily provide the comfort that a 23"+ screen and a full sized keyboard can provide.

Desktops will become less prominent (as in most likely 1 in a house) while there will be multiple mobile devices such as smart phones, tablets, and laptops etc. In my house, there's 2 desktops, 2 laptops, 5 mobiles devices.

The market and the PC will evolve. New computers will be more powerful, smaller, and efficient. Each device has their niche and will dominate in that specific area but no one device will be that "all in one solution" that people try to create.
!