[Solved] Help Please - Monitor garble @ boot, Bios, and OS install

macattak1

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Greetings, not sure what will ultimately be the answer, but for now, this is a visual or graphics issue so posting it here.

I upgraded my PC so I put the old parts into my kid's PC to upgrade that. New system works great. It is the old one causing me headaches!

Into my kid's PC:
ABIT IP35 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel E6750 CPU
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
nMEDIAPC Mute Power MP-500 500W ATX12V Power Supply
HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
(ALL previously bought for and working fine for years in my PC)

During boot, once booted to install OS, or if I go into the BIOS; I get garbled characters across my whole screen. Also, when that is not occurring I get vertical lines down my screen.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

I have swapped out the PS - Thermaltake Purepower RX W0144RU 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply, however I still get the same results.

I have pulled out and reseated the Video, Ram, and Sound. (Sound currently removed). I am no longer that with it on PC's so could use some help here. Was going to buy a new PSU, but my newer one did not resolve the issue. Was thinking maybe the MB, but the Video does not come through it. Is it the GPU? But it is working, or so it seems.

I even took out the MB and checked for grounding out and such. Found nothing, and reinstalled. Grabbing some pics of the screen in case someone has run into this before...

Thanks!
Mac

lines on screen or wierid color or letters is a good sign that the video card is having issues. on older cards that had pressed in chips it was a system of one of them walking out. most time on older card fix was putting it flat on a table and lightly pressing down and seeing if any of the chip went click. on the wave solider video cards it telling the user the main chip fan may have failed and the gpu is running too hot or the gpu chip on the way out. but before you buy new parts check the video card and monitor. check for bent pins on the monitor cables...also try your new monitor or the old one on your new pc to see if the error follow the pc or the monitor...on led/lcd line on screen can also be bad pannel or control board. on your son machine also check to see if there any cards slotted next to the video card and check that irw settings in the bios is set to auto. on the older mb the pci video card irq is shared with the first white pci slot next to the video card. sometime having a sound card in that slot can cause issues.

macattak1

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Different Monitor cable = No
GPU light pressure applied = No
Boot MB out of case = No
Boot with 1, zero, or swapped Ram = No

May have to go buy a new video card...