Sign in with
Your question

System Freezes/Crashes with no load

Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2012 1:04:21 AM

I built a PC in August of 2011 and haven't really had much problems with it. Except the one that always seems to keep popping up from time to time is that randomly it will just freeze and I have to reset. It usually happens when I try to overclock it (Im talking 300mHz). However, after it does this I reset to default in the BIOS and then it does it again! I have no idea what to do because everything seems normal but it will randomly just do this. I have a suspicion its the fact that my "Hybrid" motherboard is browning out some component to save a watt or two but I'm not sure.

Here is my system:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
MB: ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB 1600mHz (Dual Channel Kit)
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M850 (850W)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler
Case: NZXT Phantom (White)

If there is any more information required please just let me know. I would really like to solve this problem.

Thank You

Edit:
Sometimes if I leave it sitting idle for a while I will come back and the screens will not turn on and it will not respond to anything, this also requires a reset.

The screens will also go black and the comp will become unresponsive when certain USB items are plugged into the front USB 2.0 Ports on my Case.
June 2, 2012 2:17:31 AM

Try a Seasonic or a Corsair power supply and quit trying to overclock it just shortens the life of components.
m
l
June 2, 2012 3:44:03 AM

Do you believe my problem is coming from my PSU? I haven't read anywhere that the Cooler Master Silent Pro has a problem with voltage fluctuation and so far Im not about to go drop another $150-200 on a equivalent product when I'm not convinced that's the problem. I also dont think it has to do with my overclocking because the problem persists with stock settings.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 2, 2012 4:51:43 AM

Sounds like RAM problems are a strong possibility.

What specific kind of G.Skill Sniper RAM do you have, and what are the timings and voltage set to in the BIOS? If it's on "auto," try going in manually and increasing the RAM voltage by 0.02-0.04V. Sometimes on motherboards with four slots, if you fill all four with RAM, they need a little extra juice to be stable. Sometimes the board can figure this out on auto, sometimes it can't.

If the problem persists, try testing out each stick one at a time with memtest86+. A stick that is in the process of dying could be giving you the same sometimes-working, sometimes-freezing symptoms.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 2, 2012 4:57:16 AM

also check that you have the newest bios with the right cpu code for your cpu. you can try memtest and prime 95 to see if the system locks. i would check your cpu temps and gpu temps to see that the heat sinks in on right.
m
l
!