MOBO for i7-3770?

octashoo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Just looking for suggestions on a good MOBO for an i7-3770. - require microATX form 9.6 x 9.6.

my first time installing a MOBO / CPU set up, and I am lacking in most hardware knowledge but especially MOBO's.

Thanks.

Solution
The i7-3770 is overkill for nearly all ocassions, the quad core i5 provides more than enough power for nearly everything you may want to do. What is it you plan to use your computer for?

Moving on, since it's an intel chip, and an LGA1155 one at that, you'll need to look at motherboards with intel chipsets, namely H67/P67/Z68/H77/Z77. The "P" and "Z" motherboards allow you to easily overclock processors which end with a "K".

Beyond that we need to know more about what you plan to put in your system and what sort of budget you have before we can narrow the choices down any further.

pauls3743

Distinguished
The i7-3770 is overkill for nearly all ocassions, the quad core i5 provides more than enough power for nearly everything you may want to do. What is it you plan to use your computer for?

Moving on, since it's an intel chip, and an LGA1155 one at that, you'll need to look at motherboards with intel chipsets, namely H67/P67/Z68/H77/Z77. The "P" and "Z" motherboards allow you to easily overclock processors which end with a "K".

Beyond that we need to know more about what you plan to put in your system and what sort of budget you have before we can narrow the choices down any further.

Solution

octashoo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

I plan on doing Heavy Photoshop Painting, high DPI, multiple layers, dynamic brushes. Also HD video editing, and 3D modelling / rendering Z-Brush etc. I do game, but it's definitely not the priority of the machine, just a bonus. I currently run a phenom IIx6, and it lags for what i do in photoshop. I want something to plow through.

For your usage, then I would personally stick with the i7 :) The motherboard I posted previously, however, won't really allow you to install more than 16GB of RAM (only 2 DIMM slots), unfortunately.

octashoo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

yes I def want something expandable to at least 16G RAM... I'll go as nuts as 32... LOL.