WHEN WILL DELL PARTNER WITH AMD?

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Dell has always relied on Intel chips for its hardware and the main reason for that is simple: supply. Intel has the facilities to produce the kinds of quantities Dell is looking for. AMD has not, but what AMD has today is something Dell doesn't and desperately needs. That is mindshare. AMD Athlon and Opteron chips are fast and built for running servers and workstations.

I believe they already did once buying Alienware.

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=38970

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Dell has always relied on Intel chips for its hardware and the main reason for that is simple: supply. Intel has the facilities to produce the kinds of quantities Dell is looking for. AMD has not, but what AMD has today is something Dell doesn't and desperately needs. That is mindshare. AMD Athlon and Opteron chips are fast and built for running servers and workstations.

I believe they already did once buying Alienware.

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=38970

Geez, haven't we discussed this before? :wink:

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Dell will partner with AMD soon enough, don't worry. When Dell partners with AMD AMD will be made. I'm not concerned with supply shortages, soon they should have enough cash on hand to build another manufacturing facility.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
He had that joke when I said something along the lines of 9-Inch needing a new keyboard, I don't give a shi7 anymore. If he wants to do it, the only ones that can stop him are mods.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
This is getting old. Dell will not partner with AMD. They're likely getting an awesome deal with Intel that they don't want to ruin, and their business is not suffering by them not offering AMD. Businesses, and the average home computer user, which comprise nearly all of Dell's business, don't much care who makes the CPU. People continue to speculate and create rumors, but it ain't gonna happen.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
If DELL starts selling AMD's I'll start by sending DELL hate mail. Cuse they have to provide the public with Unlocked and Crayon Wax plastic-less PC's. Then i'll tell AMD that they are Bad people and they would call the head office and Cut the deal with them Unles they provide Us with good AMD processers without crappy parts.

bilbo3660

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Dell has maintained all along that AMD wouldn't be able to supply enough processors. Now that Fab 36 is online and AMD has signed a contract for chips with Charter Dell will have to find another excuse. Dell won't switch as long as Intel continues to give them bribes, er incentives. You can't overclock a Dell with Intel so don't expect you would with AMD inside.

chmuchmu

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Maybe some time in the future?
Now, its impossible.
Since Dell gain a lot of support from Intel, such as Ad expenses, preferential price, priority supply, technology support, etc.
If Dell joined the camp of AMD, what will Intel do, obviously, Dell's special treatments and benefits should fly away.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
When will Dell partner with AMD?

When you buy a new keyboard.

The thing of it is, I have like a gazillion keyboards laying around I would certainly donate however, I would not do it as, I still for whatever reason, find it humorous that Lee Majors as "Action Man" is right there each and every time to save us from extreme boredom.

Thanks Action Man, your my hero!

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If DELL starts selling AMD's I'll start by sending DELL hate mail. Cuse they have to provide the public with Unlocked and Crayon Wax plastic-less PC's. Then i'll tell AMD that they are Bad people and they would call the head office and Cut the deal with them Unles they provide Us with good AMD processers without crappy parts.

Uhh, what?

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005

Uhh, what?

yeah, that's usually what I say after reading his posts.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Uhh, what?

yeah, that's usually what I say after reading his posts.

Well at least its not all in CAPS.... someone might go blind reading it.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
There is no point to this thread ... Dell does what they do well, which isn't catering to us. So for the love of all that is good and holy, quit with the Dell/AMD threads.

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
My best guess would be after the anti-trust suit against Intel comes to a head. At that point, when the "exclusive" deals are exposed, and rendered anti-competetive, Dell should begin carrying AMD within a month or two.

bilbo3660

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
There is no point to this thread ... Dell does what they do well, which isn't catering to us. So for the love of all that is good and holy, quit with the Dell/AMD threads.

This question is asked a couple of times a month in every forum in the universe. It will never stop as long as someone discovers AMD and forums. :cry: