Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Did you know that you can run PhysX in Batman just on AMD VGA?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2012 12:47:53 AM

So, I have a Radeon 7970. I like the VGA, but missed PhysX, so I decided to get some Nvidia VGA to run Hybrid PhysX mod with AMD. I have an old 7800GTX so I put it on board, just to test how good Nvidia VGA I should get for PhysX. I installed Nvidia drivers, PhysX software and patch, according to http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-m...

Everything worked fine, was pretty choppy but it worked, I made sure I had PhysX in Batman and in Mars PhysX GPU Benchmark. So I took 7800GTX out of my PC, deleted all Nvidia drivers, PhysX software, restarted my PC and guess what... I still have freakin PhysX in Batman!!!:)  Yes, just pure 7970 still plays it on "High". I don't know if Nvidia realizes it or not, but it appears to be you can have "an exclusive" PhysX feature just on AMD VGAs. I always thought that you gotta have Nvidia VGA to do it, but apparently you don't?
a c 103 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2012 12:56:32 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if such a glitch did exist. PhysX does have a software implementation that runs on the CPU but it's neutered compared to the full GPU version
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
April 3, 2012 12:58:33 AM

PhysX has always worked with or without Nvidia GPU's. You just don't get the GPU acceleration without an Nvidia GPU that is capable of it. It just gets performed on the CPU instead. Unfortunately, Nvidia has made sure it runs poorly on the CPU, though recently they have made some improvements.

I also do not believe the 7800 supported GPU accelerated physX. I'm fairly sure it has to be the 8800 or newer and some of the lower end 8000 and 200 cards didn't support it.
Related resources
April 3, 2012 1:08:37 AM

bystander said:
PhysX has always worked with or without Nvidia GPU's. You just don't get the GPU acceleration without an Nvidia GPU that is capable of it. It just gets performed on the CPU instead. Unfortunately, Nvidia has made sure it runs poorly on the CPU, though recently they have made some improvements.

I also do not believe the 7800 supported GPU accelerated physX. I'm fairly sure it has to be the 8800 or newer and some of the lower end 8000 and 200 cards didn't support it.

Ohhh that's why. But in the beginning, before I put 7800GTX I couldn't even enable PhysX option anywhere.

And performance is just crippled. I had 50-70 FPS in Batman with PhysX off, and 30-50 when it is on.

Do you think the performance would increase if I would have some 4xx or 5xx series Nvidia VGA?

Best solution

a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
April 3, 2012 1:23:50 AM

It should. From tests I've seen, the max performance gain from a dedicated PhysX card is with the GTX 260. Anything better doesn't yield improvements.

It is possible that you got the latest most improved PhysX drivers installed with the installation of the 7800gtx, which resulted in better performance. Or perhaps the crippling effect was lifted once installed with a 7800gtx. Batman seemed to be deliberately crippled on AMD systems.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 1:29:14 AM

Interesting. I've got an old Aegia physx card if you want to give that a go.
April 3, 2012 1:30:03 AM

bystander said:
It should. From tests I've seen, the max performance gain from a dedicated PhysX card is with the GTX 260. Anything better doesn't yield improvements.

It is possible that you got the latest most improved PhysX drivers installed with the installation of the 7800gtx, which resulted in better performance. Or perhaps the crippling effect was lifted once installed with a 7800gtx. Batman seemed to be deliberately crippled on AMD systems.

Yes, I got the latest PhysX installed, even that on Hybrid PhysX mod webpage says it is not supported yet. Gonna try to run it with GT 440, it is slower than GTX 260 but still might be enought.
April 3, 2012 1:34:29 AM

87ninefiveone said:
Interesting. I've got an old Aegia physx card if you want to give that a go.

Thanks:)  but I wanna get some 4xx series one, I think I need at least 192 CUDA cores to run PhysX smoothly.
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2012 11:39:56 AM

Veirtimid said:
Thanks:)  but I wanna get some 4xx series one, I think I need at least 192 CUDA cores to run PhysX smoothly.

I recommend GTX 460

EDIT: Wait up.

You're the one who posted on AMD forums saying '7970 and AMD sucks'.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=425&th...
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 4, 2012 6:01:52 AM

I see... What about waiting for Mid range Kepler? There should be single slot cards like GT 640 or something.
April 4, 2012 6:25:47 AM

refillable said:
I see... What about waiting for Mid range Kepler? There should be single slot cards like GT 640 or something.

Yes, I have that idea in mind, but I doubt there will be any single-slot VGAs in 6xx, cuz there wasn't any in 5xx series generation.

EDIT: Found this lol:

http://www.insidehw.com/news/hardware/6941-first-single...
May 22, 2012 11:33:42 PM

Best answer selected by Veirtimid.
!