Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1150 Build. (Final Check)

Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2012 2:47:49 AM

Here's the specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9iUZ

If you see anything that is questionable (in regards to reliability, such as a HDD that is known to fail, or a bad fan, or a PSU that won't support my build, etc), or anything which I can upgrade for little to no extra cost, then suggest it.

3570k vs 2500k with that fan? Which would perform overall better? Is it worth it to upgrade to the 3570k? Considering it's more future proof, I'd like to stick with it.

What should I OC my 3570k to with that fan?

What should I OC the 7850 to? (To start going up at, since I'll be going up in 25 MHz increments past a certain OC to make sure everything isn't buggy.)

Any other various advice or criticism is appreciated.

Unless something is a LOT less on another site, I'd like to keep it all on Newegg. If it's about $15 less, then I'll go with it. Don't suggest anything that's $20 or more than the current, since this budget is quite strict.

Thanks in advance.

More about : 1150 build final check

June 2, 2012 3:34:29 AM

Build-wise, just referring solely to build not periferals you could do better for the price.
Check out my $850 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
You'll get a motherboard that is cheaper but can run 8x/8x which is much better than 16x/4x. Better PSU, and more optimized in places.

You honestly don't need 1866 RAM, it's not worth it you have no performance increase but it still costs more. You also don't need Windows Ultimate. Win7 Home is perfectly fine and costs much less. Plus it's good enough for almost every user other than business.
Related resources
June 2, 2012 3:42:20 AM

Samsung RAM is close to other 1600 MHz RAM in price, but OCs to 2133 MHz RAM. THAT is the ONLY time you should consider RAM speeds above 1600 MHz.
June 2, 2012 4:00:48 AM

@ the OP.

That board doesn't run dual vid cards and with that psu you have in that build I'm guessing you want that option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $354.98 save: $20.00 FREE SHIPPING
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-Comp... $89.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $46.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-K... $59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1
June 2, 2012 4:09:25 AM

I'm not buying Ultimate, I already have it.

So no, an $850 build isn't appropriate really, since my monitor and accessories only come out to $200, $950 is more like it.

Nevertheless, the mobo in your $850 is more than my z77 and if I wanted CFX I'd go with the Extreme4-M.

z77 is worth it for futureproofing, since I may upgrade this later.

You're only saying things I "don't" need, but giving no reasonable upgrades after suggesting a downgrade. Currently this build is perfect budget-wise. No reason to downgrade unless I should upgrade something else.

I'm considering a case with better cable management, but really, with that PSU I'm very content, considering it's modular and I had big cable management problems with my last build.
June 2, 2012 4:16:27 AM

Not sure why my reply just got deleted, but I said thanks to Why_ for all of the help over the past week.

That first combo is a great upgrade, considering it's better and even costs less.

I don't ever really plan on going CFX in this build, but I guess if I decide to in the future I'd be disappointed, so I'll go ahead and get that 650w anyways.

Past that though, and I'll be going over budget with the case and such. :\
June 2, 2012 4:17:51 AM

Oh, right. No, I don't want that option actually.

If I ever decide to upgrade, it will be in the very far future, so if you're willing, could you suggest a more appropriate PSU? I didn't realize mine was over-the-top. Thanks.

Also, are you sure about the RAM? Will switching to 1600 definitely not give any performance change? Note that I may do some editing and recording.
June 2, 2012 4:32:19 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Your not going to notice a difference on the RAM. Also take advantage of the front 3.0 USB header and get a case with front 3.0 USB ports.

Antec Three Hundred Two @ frys for $66 and free shipping
June 2, 2012 4:51:10 AM

Are you sure 520w is enough? I was suggested 550w for this build...

Do you know of an accurate calculator of sorts for something like this?

and thanks, I'll definitely do that.
June 2, 2012 4:53:58 AM

Xerophos said:
Are you sure 520w is enough? I was suggested 550w for this build...

Do you know of an accurate calculator of sorts for something like this?

and thanks, I'll definitely do that.

A 500w psu will run that build. That Seasonic 520w will give you plenty of headroom.

June 2, 2012 4:58:04 AM

Xero, I don't want to offend you but your statement about Z77 futureproofing vs Z68 is incorrect. The Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 is one of the better boards out. Z77 has nearly nothing on Z68 besides native PCI 3.0 controller and USB 3.0 controller. Other than that, no performance increase and there's no USB 3.0 improvement.

Also your statement about downgrading. Downgrading on what? DDR3 1866 is not noticeable from 1600 but you'll save money. Your board doesn't support 8x/8x and has no performance increase on the board I recommend yet the board I suggest still saves money. Also the PSU I suggest is cheaper and gives more wattage and Antec is a more than solid company with great reviews.

June 2, 2012 5:12:48 AM

Why get an IB CPU then if you're not going to get a Z77 MOBO? There is a reason Z77 is on the market right now.
June 2, 2012 5:18:40 AM

Because Z77 motherboards that can run 8x/8x are "a lot" more expensive than Z68 boards that can run 8x/8x.
June 2, 2012 5:20:55 AM

You mean the site you suggested which has builds which aren't appropriate for my price-range?

You're clearly taking in everything that guy said in his article, but the same goes for your z68 - it has nothing on the board Why_Me suggested, even price-wise, and USB 3.0/PCIe 3.0 are benefits definitely worth considering.

And no, that PSU isn't cheaper than the one I have now, nor is it modular. Antec may be solid, but I simply don't trust it based on personal experience, rather than others'.

There's no reason to downgrade, that's exactly what I meant. If you aren't suggesting anything to upgrade, then there's no reason to downgrade if it will have (however marginally) better performance. Currently I'm $30 under budget, so I'll consider downgrading it if something that's like $40 more but better is suggested.
June 2, 2012 5:23:13 AM

And lol @ you saying they're "a lot" more expensive. The one I have now is less than yours with it's current bundle, so no, not really. They're not as expensive as you believe them to be. Stop arguing something as pointless as a $5-$10 price difference for PCIe 3.0/USB 3.0. It doesn't make sense.

If you want to actually get back to checking or critiquing my build, feel free.
June 2, 2012 5:24:56 AM

There will always be those people who don't like a certain technology. I think the reason he is suggesting Z68, other than running SLI x8/x8 cheaply, is because it will be a while before PCIe 3.0 is fully saturated. What he probably isn't thinking of is that not everyone is going to switch over to Haswell next year and will want PCIe 3.0 whenever it becomes fully saturated. OP, if you have no plans on buying the 1150 socket, the socket on which Haswell is based on, and want the computer to last more than 3 years, get the Z77 motherboard along with the i5-3570k.

My .02.
June 2, 2012 5:27:55 AM

... Oh my goodness, you are a rare few who wouldn't want to save money.

Your ignorance is bliss as well. You can be mad at me for making that comment if you want. The Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 HAS USB 3.0 AND PCI 3.0. AND can run Crossfire at 8x/8x. I understand that you don't want to Crossfire but still doesn't deny the fact that before the combo it was cheaper, had better upgrade path performance (Crossfire 8x/8x).

The Z77 boards, great there new and have native support of PCI 3.0 and USB 3.0. That's fantastic, show me a bench where Z77 is better than Z68 by a large margin. Gen3 for Z68 is equivalent to Z77's native PCI 3.0 and USB 3.0 well... That's obvious there is no difference.

OBVIOUSLY the EA650 isn't cheaper than the one you have but it was cheaper than the one you had selected before... You can just google the reviews, the EA650 and the rest of Antec PSUs are more than solid.

But you are OP and it is your decision. I'm just correcting statements that were incorrect.
June 2, 2012 5:38:24 AM

It seems more like you've got some unheeded bias rather than sound logic against the Z77. I don't see what type of emotional trauma would cause such a reaction, but regardless, obviously the Z77 isn't going to bench higher, it isn't an upgrade in the regard of performance. I'm not getting CFX, so getting rid of my native support for the two would be pointless.

Still disregarding that 650 not being modular, which is a big plus for me, since I loath bad cable management. Nonetheless, it's irrelevant at this point, since I already chose a better PSU.
June 2, 2012 5:43:58 AM

I'm $30 under budget guys, and if I downgrade the RAM it would be $40, so suggest some things. Thanks.

Best solution

June 2, 2012 6:11:18 AM

Xerophos said:
Perhaps a case? I'm still using the Antec 300.

Here's the updated build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9jnR

If not, I'll consider a better mouse.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-Z77PRO4 $124.99 Free Shipping
ASRock Z77 PRO4 LGA1155/ Intel Z77/ CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Pro4 <----- another look at that board along with a link to the latest bios
June 2, 2012 6:25:42 AM

What's the difference between that and the one in the bundle?
June 2, 2012 6:53:09 AM

:o  Wait a minute you mean those builds that aznshinobi refers to are not even his builds lol your kidding me if that's the case than it's false when he tells people on this site check out my build and give those links unless you really did the build what's the deal here with all that
June 2, 2012 7:04:22 AM

Why_Me said:
A 500w psu will run that build. That Seasonic 520w will give you plenty of headroom.
+1 Why_Me is correct plus Seasonic makes top notch solid PSU ;) 
June 2, 2012 5:50:36 PM

No, he may have posted that guide. Doesn't matter, he probably isn't paying attention to this thread anymore.

Still, I'm $40 underbudget with the aforementioned build.

Suggestions? I suspect case, HDD, or mobo.

RAM doesn't need to be upgraded, since it 's 1866 for only $3 more than 1600 (a current $10 promo)

Perhaps a better fan?

Thanks in advance, I plan on ordering today! :D 

If you suggest something, can you please give reasons why it's better? I don't really know how to gauge whether or not something is better with some things, like MOBO.
June 3, 2012 7:46:38 PM

Bumping.

I changed my mouse to the deathadder and got a 620w PSU. Now at $1140

Just making sure everything is fine, such as rails on the mobo, power connectors for the GPU, etc...
June 10, 2012 1:00:11 AM

Best answer selected by Xerophos.
!