Sign in with
Your question

IDE detected as SCSI

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 23, 2001 6:42:28 PM

Running Win2k pro, my IDE harddrives are detected as SCSI. I have reinstalled (formatted hd completely), updated drivers, and win2k still sees my cdrw and dvd as SCSI.

Heres what it says in device manager:
NEC DV-5700A SCSI CDrom Device
MTSUMI CR-4802TE SCSI CDrom Device

Runnin on a ASUS A7V, its plugged into the ATA66, not the promise100 controller. Any help or suggestions appreciated, ill supply any info needed to further diagnose the problem, thx to all replies in advance :cool:

- STAPLED
<b><font color=blue>eine ausgesprochen verbeidung von schaue und dum</font color=blue></b>

More about : ide detected scsi

June 23, 2001 7:18:51 PM

Soooooooooooooooooooo...........

are they not working, or something?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2001 8:22:56 AM

sorry... Brainfart i forgot the problem ;) 

The DVD works fine, the cdrw, reads cds and all but when i go to burn a cd... *coaster*. Gets thru writing the table of contents and thats it. I have used like 3 versions of adaptec EZ CD craetor, or whatever company owns them now. i updated the drivers and all, to no avail. I have tried a few other pieces of software too... Could the CDRW be faulty? i have had problems with it in the past, but the whole scsi thing threw me off.

- STAPLED
<b><font color=blue>eine ausgesprochen verbeidung von schaue und dum</font color=blue></b>
Related resources
June 24, 2001 3:33:28 PM

I've got a Plextor IDE/SCSI device too, and it's burning ok. You might try some other software, or as a final measure, do a reformat/reinstall.

In the meantime, while you're testing, it's best to use cdrw. At least you can do a full erase and use the disk again.....
June 25, 2001 12:13:28 PM

For Win2k that is a normal thing.
Have fun.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:
June 25, 2001 4:42:48 PM

No it's not. I have W2k, as do several of my friends (who all have various types of burners), and none of us have that problem.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?
June 25, 2001 6:33:13 PM

Ummmmmm....let me clarify:
If you have an Asus a7v133, and the cdrom/hard disk is connected to the promise controller, then it will show up as a Scsi device connected to a Scsi interface.

Asus is cool like that.
June 25, 2001 9:35:24 PM

No, I was replying to Blah. Sorry.

June 26, 2001 2:00:10 AM

Happen to my old Parrell port scanner always said Scsi but still works.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
June 26, 2001 8:01:28 AM

And all of you have A7V motherboard, right? hehe

Anyway, it is normal for Win2k to detect stuff on new IDE conrollers as SCSIs, they dont know any better, cos they were released before newest stuff. It will still work, but will show up as SCSI.

Have fun.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:
June 26, 2001 2:46:39 PM

It's not normal, though. How can you explain that about 15 of us don't have that problem? Granted, we all have identical copies of W2k, but some of us have SP2, some only SP1, and all types of hardware combinations.

And BTW, my parallel port scanner thinks it's SCSI, but it doesn't work with the scanning software they sent with it, I have to use Photoshop or something else third party.

June 26, 2001 3:55:20 PM

What's not normal? The IDE being recognized as SCSI, or the thing not burning disks?
If you're talking about it not burning disks, that's why I'm suggesting a melt-down....(partition/format/install)
June 26, 2001 3:57:56 PM

It's easy dont use any Via 4in1 drivers prior to 4.29. From 4.29 and on they corrected the IDE/Win2k bugs.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
July 2, 2001 7:14:34 PM

I've always had problems in win2kpro and CD burning. you need the newest aspi drivers, and no matter what I did, or what VIA drivers I used everything showed up as scsi
try using the newest version of Nero, that was the only CD burning program I could get to work in win2k.
If not using NTFS isn't a problem with you go dual boot win98se and win2kpro. Then you can use 98se for burning CDs and games (And better overall driver support) and then use win2kpro for everything else, and anything that you'd want stability in.
July 2, 2001 7:29:47 PM

Windows 2000 always showing IDE stuff as SCSI is not normal.

My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.
July 3, 2001 1:29:49 AM

So, what you're telling me here, is that you don't have an Asus a7v or an Asus a7v133?
July 4, 2001 5:48:35 AM

one big question.

HAVE YOU INSTALLED ANY VIA 4in1 drivers?

i found that the version i installed (4.28) changed all my cd & hdd's to SCSI too.
cauz it replaced the primary & secondary bus masters to Via ones *UGH*.
check your devices list please.
it SHOULD read:
Primary ide bus master
secondary ide bus master
via bus controller (or something like that)

:) 

I think im going crazy and hearing voices, but my Hamster says im not!
!