Ethernet cable not working - help please

_PANiC

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Ok so I just got some new cableing done so I dont need to deal with wireless and I cant seem to connect to my router/modem.

I am connecting with completely brand new cables, which seem to work find when I plug them into my xbox or my laptop. But not my main PC.

No clue what the problem is. Tried resetting everything restarting bla bla bla, none of it has worked. When I plug the cable into the mobo, a green light turns on which i suppose seems to recognise that something has been plugged in but nothing shows up in the networks part of my taskbar.

I have win7 pro, and the cables are Cat6e.

I have tried going into my ipv4 and ipv6 settings to take off my static ip. I have set it to automaticly get ip adress or whatever the option may be.

The cable goes from my computer, through some walls, into a router (which is there for other wireless things eg iphone) and then to the modem. Iv tried plugging it straight into the modem but its made no difference.

No clue what the problem is so all help is appreciated. Thanks :)

ghostmagic

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not 100% clear on your setup, is your house hardwired with cat6e cable and rj45 jacks in the walls plugged into a 110 block? or just patch cables that are ran through the wall. Either way, if other devices can connect over the exact same line (same wall jack if applicable) then the problem lies with your NIC. Insure that you have the latest drivers for your NIC from the manufacturer's website. Failing that try a different NIC, its possible your onboard is bad.

_PANiC

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Sorry i dont exactly know the exact terms for all these things.

I think they are just ran through the walls. But at the walls there are sockets with ports on them. It was done professionally, but was not here when we moved in, we payed for it to be done.

The cables that run from the wall to my pc and from the other wall to the router are Cabac cate6.

And my mobo is a Gigabyte X581-UD3R, ddr3.

And if the rest of my system specs help, then here you go:
i7-950 @ 3.06GHz
Gigabyte HD 5970
6GB DDR3 Ram @ 1600MHz
Spin-Q CPU cooler.
1TB WD HDD

Where download drivers for this? I checked the Cabac website and I couldnt find anywhere to download them. And I also don't know the brand of what has been run through the house.

Thanks.