Sign in with
Your question

$1500 Early Back-to-School Rig

Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2012 4:37:43 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime over the summer (Probably around July)

Budget Range: $1500 (Willing to spend a bit extra if necessary)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: SPEED!!!, Work, Hi-def Movies, Gaming

Parts Not Required: Monitor, speaker, operating system

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com, us.ncix.com

Parts Preferences: Nothing in particular

Overclocking: Maybe (if I figure out how to do it safely)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future, but not now

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

Hey, my name's Jack. First, I want to say "THANKS!" for checking this thread out. I'd like to ask for your advice for my build over the summer. I'm going to high school this year (in Sept.) and I think it's time for me to build my first rig. This computer(that I am typing with) is already a few years too old, and barely running. :( 

Anyways, I hope to build a solid rig lasting me last least 4 years or so. Enough to get me through high school without me worrying that my computer will break down. :ouch: 

I'd like to keep it under $1500, but I will go over if I absolutely need to.

I really don't play that much demanding games. I just want a rig that is BLAZING FAST! I use photoshop pretty often, and this computer takes WAY too long to start it up. That is my first priority.

The next is graphics. I'd really like to watch some high-def movies. Connect to my 60in TV and it's just like a movie theater! Yes, I will play some games, but nothing too demanding. I will play Battlefield or Modern Warfare once in a while, but I don't really care if I can't max out everything. :non: 

So once again, please help a noobie out! :love: 
I will list the parts that I chose out so far (after intensive research :na:  )
All suggests are very, very welcome.

Thank you for time :D 

Parts I chose:

CASE: NZXT Phantom Black $120 (price from newegg)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K $340 (price from ncix)

CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro Series H60 $65 (price from amazon)

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 $135 (price from newegg)

MEMORY: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB $130 (price from newegg)

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB $122 (price from amazon)

STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB $95 (price from bestbuy)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Classified $300 (price from newegg)

PSU: XFX PRO850W XXX Edition $120 (price from ncix)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST Writer $18(price from newegg)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9jbU

Total Price (After rebates and shipping): about $1416.49

Thank you once again
June 2, 2012 4:41:36 AM

No need for an i7 if you're just using it for gaming and school work. Get the i5-3570k and use the $ saved on a GTX 670. Same with RAM - no need for 16GB unless you do tons of editing of videos and rendering.
June 2, 2012 4:50:15 AM

azeem40 said:
No need for an i7 if you're just using it for gaming and school work. Get the i5-3570k and use the $ saved on a GTX 670. Same with RAM - no need for 16GB unless you do tons of editing of videos and rendering.

Well, how much RAM should I get then? 8gb?
Related resources
June 2, 2012 5:01:36 AM

I'd stick with the i7 and the 16gb of ram. You say you use photoshop a lot, and maybe you'll end up getting into video editing, this is within your budget.
June 2, 2012 5:09:48 AM

Not all photo editing programs use HT, and unless you have Premiere, it won't use HT.
June 2, 2012 5:39:34 AM

It's in his budget, it's better preparing for the future, why not get it?

Also what OS are you going to use? If W7 64bit which version? Premium, Pro?
June 2, 2012 7:13:06 AM
June 2, 2012 7:27:42 AM

my first thought was "early back to school rig? fps school? lol". as for the debate between HT and non-ht most typical consumer applications aren't going to be using hyper threading that often. things like rendering, encoding...etc use HT.
jackyalvin said:

I really don't play that much demanding games. I just want a rig that is BLAZING FAST! I use photoshop pretty often, and this computer takes WAY too long to start it up. That is my first priority.

photoshop will use hyperthreading but it varies on much of a boost you will see. Getting an ssd will be better. save some money for graphics too cuz youll probably be gaming more ;) 
June 2, 2012 7:29:29 AM

Didnt include a CPU cooler, the H60 in the OP should work fine. But otherwise a good rig.

I would suggest getting another 1Tb hard drive. I recently read somewhere that true editing rigs use two (or three) separate hard drives, one for base footage and resources, another where the final product is rendered to and another for the OS and programs (in this rig it would be the SSD). Though this is just a speed thing, itl work regardless.
June 2, 2012 7:46:17 AM

Well he stated he might OC, so he can get a better cooler later if/when he decides. IMO the stock intel HSF is pretty decent, it's pretty quiet, and it offers adequate cooling. I think most people that are going to build their own computer think that they 'need' a separate cooler without thinking about it.

Also not sure if you noticed but the build I linked included 2 of those 1tb samsung hdds.
June 2, 2012 7:55:19 AM

lycros said:
Well he stated he might OC, so he can get a better cooler later if/when he decides. IMO the stock intel HSF is pretty decent, it's pretty quiet, and it offers adequate cooling. I think most people that are going to build their own computer think that they 'need' a separate cooler without thinking about it.

Also not sure if you noticed but the build I linked included 2 of those 1tb samsung hdds.

Your right, I didn't notice the x2 in there. My bad.
June 3, 2012 12:43:26 AM

Thanks all for the replies!!!

To answer some of the question above:
I will be using Windows 7 Ultimate.
I'm sure 1TB of storage with an SSD is more than enough.

So taking the advice you guys gave me, this is what I came up with.
What do you guys think?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9m1s
June 3, 2012 2:10:58 AM

jackyalvin said:
Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime over the summer (Probably around July)

Budget Range: $1500 (Willing to spend a bit extra if necessary)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: SPEED!!!, Work, Hi-def Movies, Gaming

Parts Not Required: Monitor, speaker, operating system

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com, us.ncix.com

Parts Preferences: Nothing in particular

Overclocking: Maybe (if I figure out how to do it safely)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future, but not now

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

Hey, my name's Jack. First, I want to say "THANKS!" for checking this thread out. I'd like to ask for your advice for my build over the summer. I'm going to high school this year (in Sept.) and I think it's time for me to build my first rig. This computer(that I am typing with) is already a few years too old, and barely running. :( 

Anyways, I hope to build a solid rig lasting me last least 4 years or so. Enough to get me through high school without me worrying that my computer will break down. :ouch: 

I'd like to keep it under $1500, but I will go over if I absolutely need to.

The next is graphics. I'd really like to watch some high-def movies. Connect to my 60in TV and it's just like a movie theater! Yes, I will play some games, but nothing too demanding. I will play Battlefield or Modern Warfare once in a while, but I don't really care if I can't max out everything. :non: 

So once again, please help a noobie out! :love: 
I will list the parts that I chose out so far (after intensive research :na:  )
All suggests are very, very welcome.

Thank you for time :D 

Parts I chose:

CASE: NZXT Phantom Black $120 (price from newegg)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K $340 (price from ncix)

CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro Series H60 $65 (price from amazon)

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 $135 (price from newegg)

MEMORY: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB $130 (price from newegg)

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB $122 (price from amazon)

STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB $95 (price from bestbuy)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Classified $300 (price from newegg)

PSU: XFX PRO850W XXX Edition $120 (price from ncix)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST Writer $18(price from newegg)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9jbU

Total Price (After rebates and shipping): about $1416.49

Thank you once again

Look to make these changes to that build

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $46.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $239.99 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Enthusiast-BRONZE-Certifi... $106.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-750TXV2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... $400 - $430
GTX 670 2GB

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6... <----- gtx 670 review w/benchmarks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $29.99 FREE SHIPPING
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+
June 3, 2012 2:15:23 AM

lycros said:

Most gamers want to OC to 4.5 GHz on SB or 4.2 GHz on IB and the stock cooler is NOT adequate for that.
June 3, 2012 9:23:02 AM

Quote:
-System Usage from Most to Least Important: SPEED!!!, Work, Hi-def Movies, Gaming

-I really don't play that much demanding games.

-I use photoshop pretty often, and this computer takes WAY too long to start it up. That is my first priority.

-I'd really like to watch some high-def movies

-Yes, I will play some games, but nothing too demanding. I will play Battlefield or Modern Warfare once in a while, but I don't really care if I can't max out everything.
!