User Profile Recovery

I just upgraded laptops and had a ghost image of the old laptop restored on
the new one. Everything is there, except XP created a new user account for
my log in and appended ".DOMAIN" to the end of it, so I have USERNAME and
USERNAME.DOMAIN under Documents and Settings. I've essentially lost all my
customized settings as USERNAME.DOMAIN is treated like a new account.

Is there anyway to point XP back to the old username, or have the new
username inherit all my previous settings? I've been researching and
suspect it is related to ntuser.dat, but I'm in the dark. Can someone point
me in the right direction? Thanks.

Using XPPro

Don't bother, I just needed to log on as a different user and copy all files
from the old profile to the new profile except for ntuser.dat.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151