Vertical stripe freezes

Boneszee

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hello, last November I had upgraded my pc with three new parts. I went from a radeon 5830 to a 6970, added 8 gigs of ram, and a new power supply to support the video card. After I had upgraded I started receiving these vertical stripe freezes, and then my pc would restart. If I cranked my fan on my gpu up, the freeze problem disappears but I still get small freezes along with the "display driver has crashed and recovered" error, and it is incredibly noisy. My video cards temperature never seems to go above 70-75c, and I have read online that video cards should be stable up to 100c. However, I am getting this temperature from the catalyst control center, so I don't know how reliable these numbers are.

I have run memtest, and everything checked out, but I will be running it again just to be sure. I have tried formatting and updated every driver I could think of, including my bios. I have tried every combination of taking my new ram out and keeping my old in, and vice versa, and in different slots. I tried putting in my old video card which had worked perfectly for the past year and a half, and I didn't get the vertical stripe freeze, but I did get random restarts without warning (pretty much the same issue I've been having, just without the vertical stripes). I don't hear any strange sounds my pc shouldn't be making in regards to the psu and hard drive. All the fans in my pc seem to be running well. I currently have a viewsonic 24" monitor hooked up as well as a 17" crt. I have tried running just one monitor, with both monitors and have gotten the same issue.

Here is a picture of the freeze, sorry it is not the best quality since I took it from my phone. Sometimes the stripes can be different colors. Unfortunately you can barely see the stripes in this picture, but they are there.

http://i.imgur.com/HNUBA.jpg

My system specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
MB: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Graphics Card: HIS H697F2G2M Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Dual Channel
and
RAM: OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 FATAL1TY EDITION Dual Channel
PSU: Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91
Case: Antec 300
Hard Drive 1: Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM (Main HD everything is installed on)
Hard Drive 2: Maxtor 120gb (spare hd, not used for anything besides backup files)

Right now I am leaning towards the PSU, although it is brand new, being the problem, but I would like to hear any advice on what to try because I am all out of ideas.

Thanks,
Alex

Make sure on your PSU the plugin for your GPU meets ( System Requirements550 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector and one 150W 8-pin PCI Expresss power connector recommended )

^ This is off the details for your GPU, just because the plug fits in the PSU ( Does not mean its the rights one to power the GPU )

Try to reseat the GPU in the MoBo

Do a Clean install of the GPU Drivers

Make sure MoBo drivers are up to date and Bios

^^^ If this dont work swap out the GPU for your old card to test if the new GPU is bad....

It might be bad memory on the GPU

Why in the hell did you wait 8 months to try and fix this problem ? Return the card if its bad!!! anything sold in the US has to have a 12 month waranty with it.

gl post back if needed

Boneszee

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
My PSU meets and exceeds my GPU power requirements. The correct pins are plugged into the GPU. I had almost the same problem when I put in my old video card to test if it was my new video card that was bad.

TRENDING THREADS