Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sub 70$ case that fits large GPUs

Last response: in Components
September 28, 2012 6:48:28 AM

I like the NZXT Source Elite and the BitFenix Merc Alpha, but I can't find much on what size GPUs they can hold. Any case with 12-12.5 inches of room should be sufficient.

I prefer a case without side windows and have a professional look to them. Black interior is a plus.

More about : case fits large gpus

a c 111 ) Power supply
September 28, 2012 6:49:40 AM

HAF-912+
CM 690 II Advanced
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 28, 2012 4:46:41 PM

According to NZXT's website (specs tab) the Source 210 Elite can fit the following length of GPUs:
Quote:
230mm w/ hard drive, 330mm w/o hard drive

According to the Anandtech review the Merc Alpha can fit the following length of GPUs:
Quote:
12.5" without hard drive/10" with hard drive (Expansion Cards)
Related resources
September 28, 2012 4:55:35 PM

+1 for HAF 912. Nothing fancy, but lot's of room and airflow.
September 28, 2012 5:57:54 PM

amuffin said:
HAF-912+
CM 690 II Advanced

I like the HAF, but the advanced version has that side window and I read that it only takes ~10.5 inch GPUs unless you remove the hard drive cage. That leads to more questions. Can you only remove part of the cage? If not what do you do with the HDD?

The CM690 II fits my budget if it is refurbished. Has anyone bought a refurbished case from CoolerMaster's store? I cant find the exact GPU size it fits on their website: http://www.cmstore-usa.com/cm-690-ii-advanced-black-atx...
September 28, 2012 6:00:59 PM

Silvune said:
According to NZXT's website (specs tab) the Source 210 Elite can fit the following length of GPUs:
Quote:
230mm w/ hard drive, 330mm w/o hard drive

According to the Anandtech review the Merc Alpha can fit the following length of GPUs:
Quote:
12.5" without hard drive/10" with hard drive (Expansion Cards)

Would that mean that I would simply need to put the hard drives in the bottom slots?
a c 111 ) Power supply
September 28, 2012 9:44:31 PM

Yup! Same thing with the 912, for the advanced you can put them on top.
September 28, 2012 9:52:56 PM

Antec Three Hundred Two
September 29, 2012 3:50:07 AM

amuffin said:
Yup! Same thing with the 912, for the advanced you can put them on top.

I talked to one of the Cooler Master reps via chat and they said that if I wanted to have a big GPU, I would have to remove the cage and would have to get an adapter for the top drive bays.

Can anyone vouch for Cooler Master refurbished products? I'm afraid I'll be the person that gets a case where Charles Ulysses Marshall scratched his initials into the case. The one time I bought used on the internet, I got screwed, so I have developed a pessimism to used products.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2012 5:10:55 AM

Well, the HAF 912 seems great, it has a removable drive cage and you can fit video cards up to 15.4 inches without the cage.
You can get the "gray" version, it has no side window but lots of cooling.

If you don't like the look of that case, here's another option, the NZXT Tempest 410, it's around 70 bucks without the window, great cooling but you only can fit video cards up to 12.4 inches without the drive mount, but in the Tempest you can put 8 HDD, so if you remove a couple of mounts 6 it's still a lot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Looks gamer but has no gaming Led's, besides under a desk you can't really see it.

Edit: This case is great for you, fractal design Core 3000 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Removable HDD cage, up to 420 mm for VGA, nice look and nice cooling options.
September 30, 2012 3:51:49 AM

jrayx said:
Well, the HAF 912 seems great, it has a removable drive cage and you can fit video cards up to 15.4 inches without the cage.
You can get the "gray" version, it has no side window but lots of cooling.

If you don't like the look of that case, here's another option, the NZXT Tempest 410, it's around 70 bucks without the window, great cooling but you only can fit video cards up to 12.4 inches without the drive mount, but in the Tempest you can put 8 HDD, so if you remove a couple of mounts 6 it's still a lot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Looks gamer but has no gaming Led's, besides under a desk you can't really see it.

Edit: This case is great for you, fractal design Core 3000 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Removable HDD cage, up to 420 mm for VGA, nice look and nice cooling options.

Do I have to remove the HDD cage to get the 420mm space? I really don't care to get into case modding.
a b ) Power supply
September 30, 2012 5:04:47 AM

DWillyEfect said:
Do I have to remove the HDD cage to get the 420mm space? I really don't care to get into case modding.

Yes, in the fractal design you have to remove the HDD cage to get that extra space, just a couple of thumbscrews.
September 30, 2012 6:05:17 AM

jrayx said:
Yes, in the fractal design you have to remove the HDD cage to get that extra space, just a couple of thumbscrews.

What's the largest I can go if I don't remove the HDD cage? I plan on having multiple HDDs because I intend to move a secondary HDD from my current PC over to my new one that has most of my files on it.

The thing is, I think I need the cage.
a b ) Power supply
September 30, 2012 6:44:33 AM

DWillyEfect said:
What's the largest I can go if I don't remove the HDD cage? I plan on having multiple HDDs because I intend to move a secondary HDD from my current PC over to my new one that has most of my files on it.

The thing is, I think I need the cage.

In the core 3000 the max length is up to 10.6 inches if you don't remove the cage.

On the NZXT Tempest 410, you have to remove 1 or 2 HDD trays in order to fit a 12.4 inch videocard, but you still have 6 more HDD trays to use, not like the 3 HDD left in the Core 3000 if you remove the cage.
September 30, 2012 7:05:29 AM

Oh, so on the core 3000 you don't have to remove the whole cage, you can remove parts of it?
a b ) Power supply
September 30, 2012 8:54:32 AM

DWillyEfect said:
Oh, so on the core 3000 you don't have to remove the whole cage, you can remove parts of it?

Yes, the upper cage only, you still have 3 HDD to install
October 1, 2012 5:58:55 AM

Ok, I think I have it narrowed down to the HAF 912 or the Fractal Design 3000. I do have concerns about the FD3000, I watched a review where the person was barely able to fit an aftermarkert CPU cooler in the case and said others would be too big.

My concerns with the HAF are more superficial. I dislike the off white interior. But it seems like people here say the size of it is fine and I'm guessing it is one of the more spacious mid towers. It looks like it has room for cooling If I can find a place in the US where I can get the HAF 912 plus(the version with black interior and lacking a clear window), I think I'll go with it.
October 2, 2012 9:45:45 PM

Best answer selected by DWillyEfect.
!