Solved

Replacement Basic Home Computer

Hello,
I'm looking to replace our basic home computer, which is a 4-year-old home-built LGA-775 Core 2 Duo on a low-end motherboard with GMA-3100 "graphics" running on Linux. This is basically an internet appliance. My main question is how much graphics capability one should have. I am thinking of using an InWin BK623 small-form-factor microATX case again, and want to minimize heat. I think that a Core i3 Sandy Bridge would be plenty of CPU. Would there be an advantage to the i3-2105 (3.1 GHz and HD 3000 graphics) over the i3-2120 (3.3 GHz and HD 2000 graphics)? I don't anticipate gaming with it, but would like to "future-proof" a little.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about replacement basic home computer
  1. For just fooling around on the internet you really don't need anything more than the integrated graphics. For a cheap low heat, low cost build I would go with a mico atx case, micro atx motherboard and an I3 processor.
  2. Best answer
    Well better graphics never hurt anyone. They would both work fine, but of course the HD 3000 graphics is a tad faster. For internet though, it doesn't matter too much. Personally, If I wasn't going to get a discrete graphics, I would go with the -2105. Both CPU's are more than enough for a basic computer and I like having better graphics for everything from hardware accelerated Adobe Flash to accelerated Firefox.
  3. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  4. Best answer selected by ssalem47.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Graphics Basic Systems