Building my first gaming PC

I am currently shopping to build a brand new gaming PC. I am limiting my budget to $2500 (Not including taxes). I would like anyone's word on this build and what I can and should improve/change without topping my budget.

Here is the build:
http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?Source=MSWD&WishListNumber=19503092
15 answers Last reply
More about building gaming
  1. You have 2 GPU's listed? Is that intentional?

I'm never a fan of "Green" HDD's, even though yours is just a data drive. You have the budget, I'd get a Caviar Blue.

Also, I'd change PSU's. Stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, or XFX.

Switch to the i7-2600k. It saves you $30 for the extra .1 GHz that you can gain back by overclocking.

You are overpaying for RAM too. I'd get this instead, personally. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429 But I never have a $2500 budget lol.
  2. Vettedude said:
    You have 2 GPU's listed? Is that intentional?

I'm never a fan of "Green" HDD's, even though yours is just a data drive. You have the budget, I'd get a Caviar Blue.

Also, I'd change PSU's. Stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, or XFX.

Yes, two GPUs is intentional. and I'll see for a better PSU.
  3. Why 2 GPU's? Were you going to SLI? Can't do that with those cards. Have to be the same card to SLI.
  4. Vettedude said:
    Why 2 GPU's? Were you going to SLI? Can't do that with those cards. Have to be the same card to SLI.

I asked at the local PC store and they recommended a 560 with a 420. Have one for PhysX and the other for graphics/3D.
  5. Buying a seperate card for PhysX is a ripoff. Not many games use it and the 680 is a mighty fine card to do PhysX on its own. I would stick with 1 680 for now, it's easy enough to purchase another later and SLI it if you want.

Again, you are overpaying for RAM. I know your budget is higher, but I still don't want you to be frivolously spending money on things that don't help your system.

1000w PSU is overkill, but this is still a monster PSU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207021 EDIT: I see you changed it to a Corsair, that's a great supply too.
  6. My friend doesn't agree. The SLI will work if they are both GTX. In this case GTX 560 and GTX 680.
  7. Your friend is wrong. Has to be the same card, GTX 680 and GTX 680. Or GTX 560 and GTX 560.

That's for SLI. You can have a dedicated PhysX card but its a waste of money, a waste of space, a waste of power.
  8. Oh, alright. I guess I misread. My bad. Then should I keep one 680 or go with two 580s?
  9. 1 680. Those will be in production much longer and you can always SLI at a later time. You won't need to for a while though, the 680 is a beast. Plus you get the benefits of 28nm silicon (Less power consumption, less heat!)
  10. Thank you for the information! It was very helpful. I also have $400 to spare now haha.
  11. You can go back to 16 GB of RAM! You have the budget ;) Just get 2 more sticks of the RAM you have set now.

And if you want to get crazy, you can double up the SSD and run a RAID 0 setup! Your I/O performance would be insane, and you would have 500GB of SSD storage.
  12. There. $2,491.87 lol. 480 GB SSD drive and everything.
  13. Holy crap, 480GB SSD. If its in your budget, that's awesome! I don't think you need it though, you have a 1TB data drive, and I doubt you have 480GB of games and programs.

I still think you should save $30 and go with the i7-2600k processor.
  14. Best answer selected by Aleonris.
  15. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems