Screen freezes and speakers make buzzing sound when playing games

elcirith

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hello guys! I've actually had this problem for quite a while now but it used to happen very rarely. Now it happens all the time and it only happens while I'm playing a game. My keyboard and mouse dont respond and all I can do is force my computer to restart. Could anyone give me some advice on how to stop this from happening? I have absolutely no idea what the problem is. Thanks in advance for any help provided!

Games I've been playing recently when the problem occurs:
FIFA 12
EVE Online: Inferno
Dragon Age: Origins
Sins Of A Solar Empire: Trinity
Team Fortress 2

My system specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P6T SE
Processor: Intel Core i7 920
GPU: HIS ATI Radeon HD 5970
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W
RAM: Corsair XMS3 3x2GB
HD: 1x 500GB Western Digital Caviar Black and 1x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green

elcirith

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks for the link! Okay, using HWmonitor I found that after 20 minutes of playing EVE online, the max for my GPU went from 65/69 Degrees Celcius to 84/81 Degrees Celcius.
Is that considered too high?
I forgot to mention that it does not seem to matter how long I've been playing. The freezes can occur 30 seconds after I start a game or 4 hours after I start a game.

bietapico

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hi there, a quick question, do you have an antivirus, like McAfee for isntance? Regarding your temps, yes youre in the danger zone, the intel TMAx TEmp is 91C but your temps are not the cause of the freezing. Pls etll us whether you have McAfee

I suppose if Intel Max CPU temps applied to AMD GPUs and 10 degrees below Max was dangerous tat might be true. but as neither of those statements are I'd have to disagree.

Idle temps are high. check case ventalation/dust build up. load temps should be OK though. not exactly stellar. Of you are running Msi afterburner or any other overclocking tool disable it and use CCC they make certain games crash like that. Bad Company 2 was crashing like this till I turned off trixx. same unlock, same overclock via CCC and not a single crash since

elcirith

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I have Norton 360 installed. I'm not using any overclocking tool, My CCC doesnt work,whenever I click it nothing opens up. I cleared the dust in my CPU 2 weeks ago, but I guess I didnt really do a good job so I'll do it again as soon as I can.

tjl5030

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
I had this same exact problem. I also have Norton 360 installed. After reading a large amount of threads, I became worried because I thought my CPU and GPU were faulty. It winded up being that Norton would shut my freeze my computer because of the antivirus software. Put all the games you have in the exception folder. Or, turn off anti virus when you play, but I find that to annoying so just toss them in the folder and hopefully it will stop. Also if you have realtek sound, disable that. and plug head phones in while you play.