A few questions about my new gaming build

ahmed0770

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Hello ...
i am building a gaming rig right now but as you know it cost allot of money to do so ...thats why am doing it step by step ..as i buy a component every month or 2 weeks... right now i have a :

Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 MOBO and its an ATX factor
also gut the inter core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge cpu with the stock fan
8GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3
also just gut the GS700 Corsair PSU with 700W

am also planning to get the XFX HD7950 Double Dissipation BLACK with 3GB ram (FX-795A-TDBC) GPU in a couple of weeks ...

even though i dont have operating system nor a hard drive yet i tried to run the motherboard into the bios to take a look at it ..and it worked just fine except that the CPU fan dont spin contently, also the PSU fan runs only for 2 seconds after i run the power and then it stops...

now the questions are :

1- is the CPU fan normal ? cause i heard people say it could be controlled by the motherboard but am not sure cause it keeps spinning for a couple a seconds and then stops for a while ??? is that normal ?

2- why isnt the PSU fan not running at all after i turn power on?

3- on my Mother board on the bottom left corner there is a 4 pin connector that says "AAFP" ? what is that for ? is it for the HD audio plug from the case ??

i thank any one for helping me in advance and sorry for the long post ,..have nice day

pauls3743

Distinguished
When initially powered up some motherboards spin the fans at full speed until the computer POSTS (bios loads), this also has the advantage that if your computer just crashed it dissipates any heat build up. And it's true that the motherboard controls the fans. Depending on the profile set for the fan a number of things can happen with your fans. Disabled/100% - the fan spins at full speed. Quiet/Normal/Turbo (anything that isn't disabled or a set speed) - the fan spins up/down along with the cpu temperature.

PSU - on a good high quality power supply the fan spins proportional to the load drawn from it, as the load drawn by your system is so low it doesn't see the need to turn it on. I've seen this behaviour with cpu fans as well until the cpu has had a chance to heat up.

AAFP - is usually the front panel connector but it's not 4-pins. It's normally a 10-pin connector (2 rows of 5 pins) with one pin missing, similar to a USB header with the missing pin at a different locatation.

CDdude55

Distinguished
1. The CPU fan should never stop spinning, while yes the stock fans are generally PWM controlled (meaning they can dynamically change fan RPM speed), they will not completly shut themselves off. I would make sure it's fully plugged into the fan header and maybe even reseat the heatsink itself.

2. Could be based on load, it might not turn on until the PSU needs to output more power to the system. Update: I looked that PSU up and it does state:"and a temperature-controlled 140mm fan that automatically adjusts its speed to meet demand. It doesn't even spin up until it's needed."

http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/gs-series-power-supply-units/gs-series-gs700-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply.html

3. It's for front panel audio i think.

ahmed0770

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

thank you for the reply ...i also checked the PSU ..your right its temp controlled ..about the CPU fan ...i was missing around with the bios for half an hour or so, and then out of no where it started spinning ..and it didnt stop until i shut down the PC ...when i turned it on again to see what happened it worked just fine at a rate speed average of 1076RPM ....
thanks mate