Corsair TX850w
Corsair SF3 60GB SSD
Samsung 1TB
Frio cooler
Coolermaster HAF 922

Windows 7 Home Premium
Latest mobo BIOS
Catalyst 12.3 drivers

Rig is stable 99% of the time. Get the odd crash now and then, but very rare, unless... in WoW when I enable x8 MSAA, hit apply, screen goes black, video eventually disables (monitor standby / no input) lights remain on PC, Keyboard, Mouse etc, but have to hard reset.

x4 MSAA I do not get the problem and all is stable. Before going XFire with the second card, I could enable x8 MSAA.

I haven't attempted to check quite so thoroughly in other games, all I do know is I run them all on max / ultra settings and smooth as, BF3, Rift, SWTOR, StarCraft 3, Skyrim etc.

Just wondering why Im effectively getting a hardware crash/lock in a game, albeit WoW, and if anyone knows any solutions, other than not playing it ;-)

Vin
April 3, 2012 3:26:45 PM

have you tried reinstalling your video drivers
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:55:35 PM

Hi Alvine

As opposed to just allowing ATI CCC to upgrade them each time the new version is released? So remove drivers, standard VGA, then reinstall?
I guess I could try that, the question then is what version should I regress too??

m
l
April 3, 2012 4:08:32 PM

press f8 when booting, boot in safe mode. go to control panel, uinstall CCC, reboot, install the newest available drivers on their webside
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:52:02 PM

OK, will try that as noticed it doesnt seem to save all settings I set in CCC at times...
Thanks.
m
l
April 3, 2012 8:49:27 PM

Uninstall / reinstall made no difference. In fact, probably made it worse. Now when alt-tab out of WoW and back in, just get very bad artifacts / blocks over 90% of screen.
That's with 12.3 drivers. Think I may revert to 11.x something.
m
l
!