Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Could I have caused damage to my CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
September 28, 2012 7:03:10 PM

I built my first system last week. It has been great. Being my first build my cables weren't very neat, so I decided to clean up my cables today. My problem is I forgot to reconnect the power connector to my H100. A little over an hour into web browsing I glanced at my CPU monitor widget and noticed my 3770k was running at around 100c/212f. I then took off my side panel only to see my H100 wasn't lite. I plugged my H100 in and my CPU dropped to 40c almost instantly. Everything is still running great. And now that my H100 is plugged in my temps are back to normal. Should I be concerned? If so, what should I do?

More about : caused damage cpu

Best solution

a c 188 à CPUs
September 28, 2012 7:13:23 PM

Nope you can get the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors up to around 105c before you really start running into problems. I think the Thermtrip (final safety shut off) is still at 125c so I don't think you damaged your processor.
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2012 7:13:34 PM

*Probably* safe. Shocked the CPU didn't auto shutdown though. Might have shortened its life some, but if the PC is still stable, you should be fine.
Score
Related resources
September 28, 2012 7:48:11 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Nope you can get the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors up to around 105c before you really start running into problems. I think the Thermtrip (final safety shut off) is still at 125c so I don't think you damaged your processor.

Thanks for the reply. I just hope my CPU didn't go beyond that while I wasn't looking. Do you know if there's anyway I could test for damage? Just so I could be certain.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2012 8:31:49 PM

Don't think I'd press my luck if it seems OK, but you could run Pime95 or OCCT stress tests for a while to make sure it's stable.
Score
September 29, 2012 9:37:12 AM

Best answer selected by mechanized.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2012 12:21:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!