Sign in with
Your question

GTX570 driver problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2012 3:18:45 PM

MOBO: ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3
GPU: ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

I just received all my parts and built my pc. It ran smoothly at first. Installed all the drivers okay. Then after a few hours of use, I received a message saying the graphics display drivers have stopped working unexpectedly. A few more error messages like that and my pc black screened and shut down. I reformatted my hdd. Now as soon as I install my graphics drivers, when it does the restart after, it shows artifacting on the windows login window and will crash and soon as it is opened windows. By crash I mean it will be logging in, and then my moniter says no input. All the lights are still on in my case, just no output at all. I can only log in on safe mode and I have uninstalled drivers, reinstalled them from numerous sources only to receive the same exact problem. As soon as I install those drivers, it can only start up in safe mode.

So my question is: How do I fix this!? mobo or gpu problem?
Thanks.

More about : gtx570 driver problems

a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 3:26:38 PM

Might be a PSU problem. What model and wattage did you get?
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:31:37 PM

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W
m
l
Related resources
a c 88 U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 3:33:46 PM

Have you tried different drivers?
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:36:35 PM

I only tried the drivers it came with, and then I tried the ones off the Nvidia website. I haven't tried older drivers.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 3:39:34 PM

This doesn't look like a driver issue to me. No drivers would get approved if they cause that ;) . I had almost the exact same problem when I overclocked my GPU too high. Your PSU looks fine. Your GPU might be defective.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 3:41:41 PM

Take the card out and reseat it again, make sure you plug in the power connector and try again , have you installed your motherboard drivers?
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:46:09 PM

monsta said:
Take the card out and reseat it again, make sure you plug in the power connector and try again , have you installed your motherboard drivers?

I always install my motherboard drivers first and they go smoothly. Then, without fail, I install the graphics drivers and the same thing happens.
I have taken out and put in my graphics card 3 times now. :??: 
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:48:41 PM

aicom said:
This doesn't look like a driver issue to me. No drivers would get approved if they cause that ;) . I had almost the exact same problem when I overclocked my GPU too high. Your PSU looks fine. Your GPU might be defective.

I think the card comes factory overclocked. Is there a way to underclock it to see if that is the problem? or how did you fix yours?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 3:53:53 PM

rhayden said:
I think the card comes factory overclocked. Is there a way to underclock it to see if that is the problem? or how did you fix yours?

Well if you could get the NVIDIA control panel up you could reduce the clock speed down to stock but I'm not sure if you can manage that. I had to boot mine in safe mode to fix it but it was my custom OC. Your card is factory overclocked which means the manufacturer guarantees that it will run at the OC settings. If it doesn't then the card is defective.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 3:59:21 PM

Tried a different slot?
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:03:52 PM

aicom said:
Well if you could get the NVIDIA control panel up you could reduce the clock speed down to stock but I'm not sure if you can manage that. I had to boot mine in safe mode to fix it but it was my custom OC. Your card is factory overclocked which means the manufacturer guarantees that it will run at the OC settings. If it doesn't then the card is defective.

Out of curiosity, how could you get nvidia control panel up? I can boot in safe mode.
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:05:18 PM

monsta said:
Tried a different slot?

I did not. I shall try that now.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 4:06:22 PM

Worth a try , best to try every option before you rma the card just to be sure its not something else....Goodluck hope it works
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:19:26 PM

That driver stopping error is not necessarily driver related all the time. I got the same message when I pushed GTX 460 overclock to maximum, which is obviously OC issue, not driver.

Having said that, my way of at least eliminating motherboard from the possible suspect in this situation is to remove the card, enable internal graphics in BIOS, connect the display cable to motherboard connector, and see if this setup can run. If it can, you now can eliminate the motherboard or CPU from the equation. In this case, most likely I would say either the graphics card is defected, or the power is not sufficient to the card. Are the PCI-E power cables connected to the card correctly? Like 6+6 or 8+6?
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:40:17 PM

monsta said:
Worth a try , best to try every option before you rma the card just to be sure its not something else....Goodluck hope it works

Yeah I tried the other slot and it did the same thing.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 4:41:40 PM

Ok time to RMA the card , looks like you tried everything
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:43:53 PM

MKBL said:
That driver stopping error is not necessarily driver related all the time. I got the same message when I pushed GTX 460 overclock to maximum, which is obviously OC issue, not driver.

Having said that, my way of at least eliminating motherboard from the possible suspect in this situation is to remove the card, enable internal graphics in BIOS, connect the display cable to motherboard connector, and see if this setup can run. If it can, you now can eliminate the motherboard or CPU from the equation. In this case, most likely I would say either the graphics card is defected, or the power is not sufficient to the card. Are the PCI-E power cables connected to the card correctly? Like 6+6 or 8+6?

Yeah, i suspect it might be an OC issue because I did turn the settings on the card up slightly. I didn't think it would mess anything up (I wanted to see the difference between the small increase and factory). Is it ruined or is it salvageable? The power cables are connected correctly with a 6+8 config.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 4:50:18 PM

Ok so it started doing this from an overclock.
If you can get the driver installed in safe mode and drop the clocks it may only be the way to get it working, best to say how it happened firstly that way we dont have to go thru the other options of trying to figure out whats wrong.
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:56:11 PM

monsta said:
Ok so it started doing this from an overclock.
If you can get the driver installed in safe mode and drop the clocks it may only be the way to get it working, best to say how it happened firstly that way we dont have to go thru the other options of trying to figure out whats wrong.

I honestly didn't even think that was the issue because the problems didn't happen right after I did it. Until aicom said this happened when he Overclocked.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 5:01:10 PM

Ok can you install the drivers in safe mode and get into the nvidia control panel??
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:45:23 PM

I just tried to install on safe mode and it said the PhysX system software Failed. The HD Audio Driver, and the 3d Vision driver all failed to install. But the Graphics Driver installed.

Can't find the Nvidia Control Panel anywhere.
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:49:48 PM

Type nvidia on the search panel. [windows start button -> "search programs and files"]
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 5:50:55 PM

Ok you are getting somewhere , right click the desktop is it in that menu?
Maybe worth a try , download msi afterburner and drop the clocks , make sure you check the box to apply settings on start up, see if that can get the card working.
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:58:01 PM

MKBL said:
Type nvidia on the search panel. [windows start button -> "search programs and files"]

I did. But I uninstalled drivers. Booted it regularly, and installed the drivers without allowing a restart. Then went to the control panel and it said: "NVIDIA Display Settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU."

m
l
April 3, 2012 6:11:43 PM

monsta said:
Ok you are getting somewhere , right click the desktop is it in that menu?
Maybe worth a try , download msi afterburner and drop the clocks , make sure you check the box to apply settings on start up, see if that can get the card working.

I can't access the control panel in safe mode. And I downloaded msi afterburner but when i open it, it says failed to load RTCore64.sys driver
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2012 6:11:45 PM

what drivers did you try?, before we get you to mess with "ASUS RMA Process" which from what i hear is a pain in the tail. but tell me what driver you used. i may can fix the driver now. but i can contact NVDIA Dev team and let them know to look into it on next Driver set. Now your card is most likely RMA status already because its mostly factory overclocked cards that get the "driver stopped working" message.
m
l
April 3, 2012 6:34:25 PM

Rockdpm said:
what drivers did you try?, before we get you to mess with "ASUS RMA Process" which from what i hear is a pain in the tail. but tell me what driver you used. i may can fix the driver now. but i can contact NVDIA Dev team and let them know to look into it on next Driver set. Now your card is most likely RMA status already because its mostly factory overclocked cards that get the "driver stopped working" message.

I tried the Nvidia Graphics Driver 267.85 from the Nvidia website.
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:02:14 PM

So i was doing some research, and I guess MSI afterburner stores it's settings on the OS. I have since completely reformatted my hdd. So I think?? The OC settings are no longer there. Or maybe I'm completely wrong.
m
l
April 3, 2012 8:57:17 PM

Okay so I was able to get the newest drivers 290.10 version and I was able to start it up not in safe mode with drivers installed. However it still says with MSI afterburner and the Nvidia control panel that there is no Nvidia GPU recognized.

It's right there in my case, attached, correctly plugged in. I have no idea. And the device manager is giving me a code 43 on the graphics card. "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43).
m
l
April 3, 2012 9:05:46 PM

At this stage, I would return it, if it is within window, or RMA if not, for peace of mind. It seems that you may have some more trouble in the future even if you can fix it now.

Once the previous GTX 460 was riddled with hiccuping, even after I had already cut UPC code from the box and sent it for rebate, I went to the Microcenter store and got refund minus the rebate money. Of course I receive the rebate a few weeks later.
m
l
!