April 3, 2012 3:52:10 PM

OK i built my own Desktop and it worked fine for the past 6 months
the specifications are
Amd Phenom X6 1090t Black edition
Asus M4a89gtd pro/usb3
Cool max Cug-950b 950W Psupply
2 XFX hd Radeon 6950 in Crossfire
8gbs of Ram (2x4gbs)

Yesterday after restart i got no display. its happened before but with just some reseating i fixed the problem
this time however nothing i do seems to make a difference

so far iv reseated everything, removed any dust iv seen, cleaned the connectors, and reset the cmos

I tested with the onboard graphics and it works however i can see the fans on both cards spinning so im guessing they are working too im pretty much competly lost here any suggestions would be awesome
April 3, 2012 4:18:12 PM

Have you tried booting with only one card at a time? Also, you said you reseated everything. Did you reseat your RAM also? Have you tried a different monitor?
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:20:50 PM

Havent tried 1 card trying now... Reseated ram dont have any other moninters but i know its working because the onboard gfx work

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 3, 2012 4:30:59 PM

That PSU is garbage. May say 950 but im betting its no where near it.
April 3, 2012 4:37:53 PM

Tried each card solo.. They Both worked.

Psu is garbage eh....hmm Any Suggestions
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:59:53 PM

Discordian827 said:
Tried each card solo.. They Both worked.

Psu is garbage eh....hmm Any Suggestions

Good call vrumor. That's a distinct possibility. If you decide to try a new PSU, then stick with Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, or maybe XFX. For Crossfire, go with at least 750W.
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:13:06 PM

Ya i Just looked into it...Note to self ... Dont.. ever .. Spur of the moment buy a PSU because its onsale.. there has to be a reason. Probably gonna get a new 1 today .. studying now
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:23:54 PM

Do you guys think thats the problem. Since they both work solo? even though it ran both of them just fine for like 3 months?
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:27:18 PM

Discordian827 said:
Do you guys think thats the problem. Since they both work solo? even though it ran both of them just fine for like 3 months?

I don't know. It's possible. It could be one of your PCI-e lanes. It could be your Crossfire bridge. It could be one of the PCI-e power cables. It sucks, but there's no guarantee without testing everything.

Even so, the PSU is important, so I'd recommend getting a new one if you have the money, whether or not it fixes this problem.
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:43:29 PM

well here. ill explain why if worked well 3 months ago and doesn't now. buying a poor quality power supply and maxing it out by 80% for a while can "ware it out" so a better quality and with two 6950's that eat more power than 560 ti's in SLI....a 850 watt will be good. you should be able to find a good quality one for a decent price. you want find one below 120 or so tho......
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:45:29 PM

Cant hurt to pick one up locally so it can be returned if it isnt the issue. But im guessing it may be. Low quality PSUs degrade over time cause they arent rated at the wattage they claim. So you are constantly pushing its limit. Id give it a shot and see if a new PSU solves your issue. Antec Earthwatts, Seasonic, XFX, Corsair, all good PSUs and shouldnt need more than 750 or 800 watts if its truly rated at what it says. As was stated above.
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:11:51 PM

Can you pick it up locally to save shipping to and from in case it isnt the issue? Im pretty sure it is but dont want ya spending money if you can help it.
m
l
April 4, 2012 4:50:08 AM

Picked up a new Psupply they didn't actually have the one i planned for in stock so i went with http://www.directron.com/cmpsu850ax.html

Everything is up and Running now Thanks for thanks so much for the help i was ..Unhappy.. to put it lightly
m
l
April 4, 2012 4:51:04 AM

Best answer selected by Discordian827.
m
l
!