Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 28, 2012 8:01:12 PM

Hello,
I have a very old system Athlon1700,512DDR GT4Ti4200 and I;m looking into buying a new one in December or JAn 2013,since then is the times of the price cuts.

Since I missed a lot of games since 2005 that I could't play, I'll buy a cheap Quad that I'll pair later with a Hig-end GPU(GTX560TI or 660TI), since I'll have more than enough time to wait playing the games I missed and even the new ones at medium.

So, betweeen A8-3850/x4 965BE and a SH I5 2400 kit, what would you choose?
I'm thinking towards A8 even if it's a tad slower than the others, all in all,the CPU power is more than enough nowadays.
Anyway in 5 years when maybe something better will come(the 10%increase in performance per year nowadays is totally negligeable),an A8 or I5 2400 will be the same value.

More about : gaming cpu

a b à CPUs
September 28, 2012 8:33:06 PM

i5 is boss. More efficient than the others.
a c 109 à CPUs
September 28, 2012 8:34:33 PM

i5 2400 will smoke any of the CPU's you listed :)  Even if you can't overclock, the architecture is so efficient it doesn't even need OCing :lol: 

Also, if you're considering the GTX660 Ti, why don't you consider purchasing the Radeon HD7950 instead? More performance for the same price and you get to feel comfortable about future titles.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

I can see the crippled memory interface of the 660 Ti hurting it SEVERELY in the future.
Related resources
September 28, 2012 9:00:13 PM

Thanks guys, there's PLENTY of time hunting the GPU evolution, I choose Nvidia for Physx and overall much lesser tearing and other errors..

I5 2400 is more than 2x the price of X4 965BE /A8; performance wise 10-15% at most, only Far Cry 2 more because it make us very poorly of multiple cores.And any way with a high end GPU the differnece will be NONE
September 28, 2012 9:21:04 PM

Thanks guys, there's PLENTY of time hunting the GPU evolution, I choose Nvidia for Physx and overall lesser chance of screen tearing and random errors..

I5 2400 is more than 2x the price of X4 965BE /A8; performance wise it's up 10-15% , only some games(Far Cry 2) more because it make very poor use of multiple cores. With a high end GPU the difference will be NONE at 1080p


IF Id find a 200 usd I5 2400 at SH in my country i'd definetly buy it though
September 28, 2012 10:15:40 PM

Gaming RAM? Kingston HYPERX beats all of them.Onboard coolers prepacked.
September 28, 2012 10:19:03 PM

wait, sorry oh cpu k?
budget?
a c 109 à CPUs
September 28, 2012 10:51:02 PM

vandemm said:
Thanks guys, there's PLENTY of time hunting the GPU evolution, I choose Nvidia for Physx and overall lesser chance of screen tearing and random errors..

I5 2400 is more than 2x the price of X4 965BE /A8; performance wise it's up 10-15% , only some games(Far Cry 2) more because it make very poor use of multiple cores. With a high end GPU the difference will be NONE at 1080p


IF Id find a 200 usd I5 2400 at SH in my country i'd definetly buy it though

If price is the issue here, then the Phenom II X4 965 BE is definitely the way to go. They're still a solid performer with four real cores along with the potential to overclock.

a b à CPUs
September 29, 2012 4:38:23 AM

vandemm said:
Thanks guys, there's PLENTY of time hunting the GPU evolution, I choose Nvidia for Physx and overall lesser chance of screen tearing and random errors..

I5 2400 is more than 2x the price of X4 965BE /A8; performance wise it's up 10-15% , only some games(Far Cry 2) more because it make very poor use of multiple cores. With a high end GPU the difference will be NONE at 1080p


IF Id find a 200 usd I5 2400 at SH in my country i'd definetly buy it though

If the i5 is out of reach get a phenom and unlock to a 6 core.
a c 141 à CPUs
September 29, 2012 4:48:07 AM

For gaming I would defenitly go with the I5. The I5 2400, 2500 and 2500k will easily beat any of those AMD CPU's you listed.
September 29, 2012 5:08:27 AM

What about i5 3570K for about $10-$20 more? I went from a Phenom 9750 build to a i5 3570K build, and it was worth it. If you want i5 build then you gotta do what I did, save your money and get stuff on sale. I saved four months from getting $40 a week and $200 from my parents for helping them out with their bussiness. They even gotten me a Razer Lycosa and Abyssus as well. Used, from the guy who built my PC.

Anyway, Ivy Bridge is pretty damn good but if you plan on overclocking, Sandy Bridge would be the way to go unless you can handle Ivy Bridge overheating with a nice cooler to go on top of it. Hope this helps. ^_^
a c 141 à CPUs
September 29, 2012 5:36:35 AM

Adsuki said:
What about i5 3570K for about $10-$20 more? I went from a Phenom 9750 build to a i5 3570K build, and it was worth it. If you want i5 build then you gotta do what I did, save your money and get stuff on sale. I saved four months from getting $40 a week and $200 from my parents for helping them out with their bussiness. They even gotten me a Razer Lycosa and Abyssus as well. Used, from the guy who built my PC.

Anyway, Ivy Bridge is pretty damn good but if you plan on overclocking, Sandy Bridge would be the way to go unless you can handle Ivy Bridge overheating with a nice cooler to go on top of it. Hope this helps. ^_^


Ivy Bridges won't overheat if you have a good aftermarket cooler like a Hyper 212+ or Hyper 212 Evo. Also Ivy Bridges doesn't really run that much hotter than Sandy Bridges and the extra heat won't make that much of a difference. With Sandy Bridges you can get 4.5-4.6 GHz with Ivy Bridges 4.3-4.4 Ghz. That's still a great overclock and it's only a difference of a few hundered Mhz. Really that difference is not that much.
September 29, 2012 7:28:58 PM

I5 2500 is 250USD in my country, and 965BE is 116, do u still think it's worth it conisidering i'll get a high-end GPU later?
a c 141 à CPUs
September 29, 2012 9:25:22 PM

As of right now a 965 is good enough for gaming and it won't cause any bottlenecks to high-end GPU's .
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 8:10:45 AM

vandemm said:
I5 2500 is 250USD in my country, and 965BE is 116, do u still think it's worth it conisidering i'll get a high-end GPU later?

965 will run any card you want. No worries.
September 30, 2012 8:52:19 AM

The Phenom II 965 is a pretty solid chip. And for what you pay, it's pretty much a steal IMO. What I would suggest is get the Phenom II 965 and get a 7950/GTX670, I know you said you prefer nVidia but your reasons are pretty BS to be honest, Screen tearing happens when you go over the Refresh rate of your monitor. If your monitor is 60hz and you're running a game at 50fps, you will get NO tearing, Now if you're running at 70FPS you will get tearing. As far as errors go, drivers are still maturing so you shouldn't count on any errors in the near future. Also the 7950 costs as much as a GTX660 but outperforms it, the 660TI beats the 7950 at stock, but it costs a whole bunch more. Your Choice :) 
-UnlimitedBanana
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2012 11:55:19 AM

It's 7870 that hits the middle gound, then a 7970 ghz edition on sale. In between the two is a gtx 670
October 17, 2012 7:54:37 PM

I'll wait for 660Ti Twin Frozr to price cuts

BUT WIHCH CPU is more future proof in Gaming? An AMD QUAD x4 PHII or an Intel G860 2nd Gen C2D?

For now they are the same even a plus for Intel but in the future games will the Quad be better?
a c 141 à CPUs
October 17, 2012 9:17:25 PM

UnlimitedBanana said:
The Phenom II 965 is a pretty solid chip. And for what you pay, it's pretty much a steal IMO. What I would suggest is get the Phenom II 965 and get a 7950/GTX670, I know you said you prefer nVidia but your reasons are pretty BS to be honest, Screen tearing happens when you go over the Refresh rate of your monitor. If your monitor is 60hz and you're running a game at 50fps, you will get NO tearing, Now if you're running at 70FPS you will get tearing. As far as errors go, drivers are still maturing so you shouldn't count on any errors in the near future. Also the 7950 costs as much as a GTX660 but outperforms it, the 660TI beats the 7950 at stock, but it costs a whole bunch more. Your Choice :) 
-UnlimitedBanana


No it doesn't you're completely wrong. Screen tearing and artifacts happen when you overclock the GPU to high or messing around to much with AA settings. It has nothing to do with FPS being higher than the monitor refresh rate. I have one computer at stock with a 6970, the refresh rate is 60 GHz and I get over 150 FPS with no screen tearing. Another computer I have with a GTX 550Ti can easily get get 100 FPS with a 60GHz Monitor and again it has no problem

Also I would take the 660Ti as it out performs the 7950. The only way for the 7950 to win out is to overclock it and put it up against a stock 660Ti which isn't a fair comparison.
October 18, 2012 6:57:08 PM

rds1220 said:
No it doesn't you're completely wrong. Screen tearing and artifacts happen when you overclock the GPU to high or messing around to much with AA settings. It has nothing to do with FPS being higher than the monitor refresh rate. I have one computer at stock with a 6970, the refresh rate is 60 GHz and I get over 150 FPS with no screen tearing. Another computer I have with a GTX 550Ti can easily get get 100 FPS with a 60GHz Monitor and again it has no problem

Also I would take the 660Ti as it out performs the 7950. The only way for the 7950 to win out is to overclock it and put it up against a stock 660Ti which isn't a fair comparison.

First off, THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAiPmazmR_M Is what I meant (1:20 to 2 minutes, watch that part) with screen tearing. Artifacting and screen tearing have different causes, could be going over the refresh rate of the monitor with tearing, or just a dyeing chip with artifacting. Also you clearly have no clue about monitor refresh rates. There is NO such thing as a 60Ghz monitor, now a 60Hz monitor - that is correct. And buying comparing an OC 7950 to a stock GTX660TI is a valid comparison since the 660 is a bit (a small bit) more expensive. And when it comes to Overclocking, you'll get FAR more performance out of the 7950 when you start cranking it up, the 660 lacks in that sadly. Overall the two cards are pretty much neck-and-neck when comparing their performance with stock settings, only problem is the 7950's results are pretty jumpy.
!