Fans don't turn off is this normal?

navysheep

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Sorry if I posted this on the wrong section of the forum. I'm currently doing my first build and at the first test boot part. After used the HDMI cable to connect my monitor to the gpu the aftermarket heatsink fan spins for half a second then stops for half a second and repeats this process even though the PSU is not powered. Is this normal?

skaz

Distinguished
Need a little bit more information from you.

Are you talking about an aftermarket heatsink for the GPU or CPU? Whats the make and model?What kind of fan is attached to this heatsink? Is it connected via a pwm connection?

navysheep

Honorable
May 30, 2012
its for the CPU Hyper 212, sry for the late reply I'm still figuring out the wiring. Also I'm mounting the motherboard but I don't think it came with any screws. Is it supposed to come with the mobo or the tower case? Anyways any screw that fits can properly ground the mobo right?

skaz

Distinguished
I've seen cases typically come with the mounting hardware for the mobo. The screws that fit into the standoffs will most likely either be 6-32 or M3 screws.

Is your fan connected to the Motherboard's CPU fan header? Can you enter BIOS and access PWM options?

navysheep

Honorable
May 30, 2012
non of the fans on the tower case is connected yet. The fan that was spinning was the 212 cpu heatsink fan. my tower comes with a bunch of fans and i have no idea where to plug them D: