Sign in with
Your question

Core 2 Duo vs Core 2 Quad?

Last response: in CPUs
September 28, 2012 10:38:17 PM

I have a Dell Optiplex 745. It currently has a Core 2 Duo running at 2.0ghz. I'm told the system can handle up to a Core 2 Quad at 2.66ghz.

For $90, is that a substantial upgrade?

Thanks.

More about : core duo core quad

a b à CPUs
September 28, 2012 11:40:54 PM

Maybe... depends on what you are doing. If you are running heavy multi-threaded software, then yes. If you are not, then you'll just see a modest increase in speed from the extra .66 GHz.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2012 11:43:47 PM

Yes.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2012 1:25:56 AM

Even if in single threaded applications you will increased performance (not just from the extra frequency) as there are 4 cores to take some processes. If the background work load is covered by 2 then the other 2 are free to work on whatever program you are using. So yes, this is a noticeable difference.
m
l
a c 472 à CPUs
October 1, 2012 3:00:33 AM

Depends on if the programs you use can take advantage of more than 2 cores. Assuming both Core 2 Duo and Quad both have the same clockspeed, the difference in performance for programs capable of using only 2 cores will be very small since background processes generally do not use much processing cycles.

If you use programs / play games that can make use of more than 2 cores, then you can see a decent improvement in performance; roughly 30% - 40% improvement under the best circumstances depending on how well the program / game has been designed to take advantage of more than 2 cores.

Since the Core 2 Quad is 2.66GHz compared to your current Core 2 Duo at 2.0GHz, any program you run will get a performance increase just based on clockspeed alone.

I prefer a quad core over a duo core since that means I can play games and encode video at the same time. Both are pretty CPU intensive so each of those processes will get to use 2 cores.
m
l
!