desktop icons disappearing after restart

I was afraid my post would not be seen in the other thread. When, I restart
my computer, some of my icons are gone from my dektop. My outlook express
icon is gone. I have to set up my email all over again. My picture folder is
always gone from the desktop. I usually have to re-enter my internet
connection ISP and phone number again. My mouse is back to double-click
status. My background is back to default. It's like everything just resets.
Help please. I can't find the problem.
3 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons disappearing restart

    If XP Pro, open Group Policy...

    Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    Navigate to >>
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\
    Don't save settings on exit

    Set to Not Configured.

    Don't save settings on exit
    [[Prevents users from saving certain changes to the desktop.

    If you enable this setting, users can change the desktop, but some changes,
    such as the position of open windows or the size and position of the
    taskbar, are not saved when users log off. However, shortcuts placed on the
    desktop are always saved.]]

    Or...

    Read the instructions at the top
    54. Right hand side
    Save Settings on Exit

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:6632A6A5-84A2-4C4A-B34E-DDD4E9095394@microsoft.com,
    desktop icons gone when pc is restarted
    <desktopiconsgonewhenpcisrestarted@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    pecked:
    > I was afraid my post would not be seen in the other thread. When, I
    > restart my computer, some of my icons are gone from my dektop. My
    > outlook express icon is gone. I have to set up my email all over
    > again. My picture folder is always gone from the desktop. I usually
    > have to re-enter my internet connection ISP and phone number again.
    > My mouse is back to double-click status. My background is back to
    > default. It's like everything just resets. Help please. I can't find
    > the problem.

    thanks very helpful and easy too.
    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > If XP Pro, open Group Policy...
    >
    > Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    > Navigate to >>
    > User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\
    > Don't save settings on exit
    >
    > Set to Not Configured.
    >
    > Don't save settings on exit
    > [[Prevents users from saving certain changes to the desktop.
    >
    > If you enable this setting, users can change the desktop, but some changes,
    > such as the position of open windows or the size and position of the
    > taskbar, are not saved when users log off. However, shortcuts placed on the
    > desktop are always saved.]]
    >
    > Or...

    > Read the instructions at the top
    > 54. Right hand side
    > Save Settings on Exit
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:6632A6A5-84A2-4C4A-B34E-DDD4E9095394@microsoft.com,
    > desktop icons gone when pc is restarted
    > <desktopiconsgonewhenpcisrestarted@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    > pecked:
    > > I was afraid my post would not be seen in the other thread. When, I
    > > restart my computer, some of my icons are gone from my dektop. My
    > > outlook express icon is gone. I have to set up my email all over
    > > again. My picture folder is always gone from the desktop. I usually
    > > have to re-enter my internet connection ISP and phone number again.
    > > My mouse is back to double-click status. My background is back to
    > > default. It's like everything just resets. Help please. I can't find
    > > the problem.

    Keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:41864C79-1BEA-4A58-A646-C39EA0C7BFC2@microsoft.com,
    desktop icons gone when pc is restarted
    <desktopiconsgonewhenpcisrestarted@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    pecked:
    > thanks very helpful and easy too.
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> If XP Pro, open Group Policy...
    >>
    >> Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    >> Navigate to >>
    >> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\
    >> Don't save settings on exit
    >>
    >> Set to Not Configured.
    >>
    >> Don't save settings on exit
    >> [[Prevents users from saving certain changes to the desktop.
    >>
    >> If you enable this setting, users can change the desktop, but some
    >> changes, such as the position of open windows or the size and
    >> position of the taskbar, are not saved when users log off. However,
    >> shortcuts placed on the desktop are always saved.]]
    >>
    >> Or...

    >> Read the instructions at the top
    >> 54. Right hand side
    >> Save Settings on Exit
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:6632A6A5-84A2-4C4A-B34E-DDD4E9095394@microsoft.com,
    >> desktop icons gone when pc is restarted
    >> <desktopiconsgonewhenpcisrestarted@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted
    >> and pecked:
    >>> I was afraid my post would not be seen in the other thread. When, I
    >>> restart my computer, some of my icons are gone from my dektop. My
    >>> outlook express icon is gone. I have to set up my email all over
    >>> again. My picture folder is always gone from the desktop. I usually
    >>> have to re-enter my internet connection ISP and phone number again.
    >>> My mouse is back to double-click status. My background is back to
    >>> default. It's like everything just resets. Help please. I can't find
    >>> the problem.

Configuration Desktop Icons Windows XP